Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Kids on vacation but you're not - what do you do?
1  2  Next

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 12:20 am
Do you take off? If so, what field are you in? And do you take off because it's too hard to make other arrangements for the kids, or because you want to give them a nice vacation?

If you don't take off, what arrangements do you make for them? And do you do anything to "make it up to them" that you have to work when they have vacation?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 12:46 am
Buy special crafts, videos and food. Take one personal day during their vacation.

esuss

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 5:51 am
I was not able to take off at the same time as them. They also don't all have off at the same time. My kids are old enough though to stay home by themselves. I did something special with them on Sunday. Them I get them some projects that they like doing, library books and they have videos to watch.

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 6:10 am
We alternate chauffer duty with other parents in the same predicament. My kids are off different times, and this gives them company. Often, I will bring work with me while the kids do an activity.

It is not easy.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 6:47 am
1. Leave work 1-2 hours early and do a late afternoon activity at least one day
2. Buy a food they don't usually get as a treat while I'm at work
3. Do a nice Sunday activity so when they get back to school they can participate in the conversation about vacation activities
4. Buy a toy they can play with while I'm at work
5. Be a more relaxed mom since I don't have to do carpool, homework , strict bedtime, making lunch

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 6:57 am
I take off and go on vacation with them.

Our school has gap week camps for parents that can't get off.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:16 am
I work from home.
I bought crafts and activities and stickers.
My neighbors are really nice and I know they will take my girls 1 -2 hours to play (their kids are here every shabbos all day so I don't feel too bad).
We may go out for lunch one day during my lunch break for a special treat.
My DH will probably leave an extra hour late to work and take them out of the house shopping.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:15 am
For at least 15 years my "vacation" consisted of taking days off from work when my kids were off from school. Dh and I split the days because even the most liberal leave policy won't cover the number of days that kids are off. Occasionally we would ask my parents to take them for a day or part of a day and occasionally we were able to hire an older niece or nephew. Or I would make routine healthcare appointments for everyone including myself and charge the day to sick leave. Iow, it was a patchwork of methods.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:57 am
DD will be off Fri-Mon. Friday is just a half day after which her big sister will be home....I work from home, so I'm taking a half day off in the p.m. to spend time with her on both Mon. and Tues. I figure in the morning she'll sleep in a bit, lounge around a bit, then get dressed, daven, etc...and that should take care of it.

When my big girls were little, I used to switch off with a friend in the same boat - I'd take off one day and have her kids, she took off the next day and had mine. I did baking and crafts with my little group, and so did she....

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 10:02 am
I work part time so I was able to work extra hours earlier in January and then take off a few days at the end of the month. I am working one day when the kids are home... hoping they handle it on their own. I have never done this before. Other years, I spent hundreds on babysitting so I didn't get fired... I didn't make much that week... I decided I am not doing that anymore!!

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 10:18 am
DH works for himself so we kind of consider the week a wash. I treat the kids to a pizza lunch one day, DS had an important dr apt another and a birthday party a third day so it all works out,

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:42 pm
My husband took one day off and we used babysitting for the remaining days.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:51 pm
Our local Y has camp for any days the schools are off. Since it's for kids ages 5/6 and up, I use the free onsite childcare where I work for my little one.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:53 pm
amother wrote:
My husband took one day off and we used babysitting for the remaining days.

I'm just curious to know who you use for a babysitter? How do you find someone just for vacation?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:56 pm
amother wrote:
I'm just curious to know who you use for a babysitter? How do you find someone just for vacation?
We split between two babysitters. One is a morah, so she has the week off, but is out of town for two of the days. The other babysitter runs a playgroup on school days, but babysits ad hoc during vacations.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
We split between two babysitters. One is a morah, so she has the week off, but is out of town for two of the days. The other babysitter runs a playgroup on school days, but babysits ad hoc during vacations.

how old are your kids? what ages do they take until? most babysitters where I live take tops to age six and my kids are older. Also many babysitters are full and wont take extra kids.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 2:04 pm
amother wrote:
how old are your kids? what ages do they take until? most babysitters where I live take tops to age six and my kids are older. Also many babysitters are full and wont take extra kids.
We only have one with babysitters this year, a 3 year old. Our other child is still in daycare. The morah is babysitting at our house, with no other kids, so age would not matter to her but obviously that is also more expensive. The other babysitter has multiple kids and probably would not want a much older kid mixed in. I do know of a different babysitter in our community who does mix a wide range of ages (toddler to middle school) for after school care, but I don't know if she watches kids during the vacations.

Edit: it probably also helps that we are in a smaller community, so there isn't such a flood of kids needing care. Also, if my kids were old enough not to bother me and babysitting was hard to come by, I'd just work from home for any missing days. I know that's not an option for everyone though.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
We only have one with babysitters this year, a 3 year old. Our other child is still in daycare. The morah is babysitting at our house, with no other kids, so age would not matter to her but obviously that is also more expensive. The other babysitter has multiple kids and probably would not want a much older kid mixed in. I do know of a different babysitter in our community who does mix a wide range of ages (toddler to middle school) for after school care, but I don't know if she watches kids during the vacations.

Edit: it probably also helps that we are in a smaller community, so there isn't such a flood of kids needing care. Also, if my kids were old enough not to bother me and babysitting was hard to come by, I'd just work from home for any missing days. I know that's not an option for everyone though.

Ok that makes sense. I wish it would be so easy for me where I live. I ended up becoming a SAHM because all of the off days were too stressful. My boss never allowed me to bring kids and gave me such grief about taking off it was impossible. It's very hard to find someone to just watch your kids for vacations.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 3:31 pm
OP here.
Thanks everyone for your replies. Definitely makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one struggling with working when my kids are off, and I like hearing how others deal with it. I try to make it fun for them during the later afternoon when I am home, and having a more relaxed schedule is definitely nice for everyone, but I still feel bad they don't have the same kind of vacation as they would if I didn't work or could easily take off, and arranging care is so complicated. I sometimes use high school girls who are also off from school, but they are not always available or willing to babysit.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:27 pm
Ds (5) has a Friday and Sunday. I will probably take off Friday or send him to my parents (2 sisters home on fridays) Dunn day I bought thibgs for them to paint so he is excited.
Dd. (4) Has a Monday Tuesday and wednesday....I have 2 sisters off the same days so will coordinate with them. I also have option to work at home or take her to work with me as I work for family. Dh is also kind of flexible so between all that we should be good.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics