Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Looking for a job in project management
1  2  Next

friends_89

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 1:10 pm
Any leads please pm me.

Thanks much!

dimyona

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 2:18 pm
Do you have PMP certification?

Smiling Wife

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 3:29 pm
Where r u located?

workermom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 4:15 pm
friends_89 wrote:
Any leads please pm me.

Thanks much!

This is do cool that there are other ppl who actually do this. I'm in school for this now. I didn't know other ppl do it to

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 4:54 pm
workermom wrote:
This is do cool that there are other ppl who actually do this. I'm in school for this now. I didn't know other ppl do it to

did you mean other frum people?

debsey

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 4:56 pm
What is project management? What does someone with this certification do?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 5:00 pm
Where are you located? What is your experience and education? I might have a lead if the criteria fits.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 5:11 pm
debsey wrote:

Project management is the discipline of initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing the work of a team to achieve specific goals and meet specific success criteria. A project is a temporary endeavor designed to produce a unique product, service or result with a defined beginning and end (usually time-constrained, and often constrained by funding or deliverables) undertaken to meet unique goals and objectives, typically to bring about beneficial change or added value

workermom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
did you mean other frum people?

Yup I did. The ppl I normally see when I say this is what I'm going for just roll their eyes at me. So cool to know that other frum ppl go for this also

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:07 pm
workermom wrote:
Yup I did. The ppl I normally see when I say this is what I'm going for just roll their eyes at me. So cool to know that other frum ppl go for this also

Hatzlacha.

debsey

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
Project management is the discipline of initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing the work of a team to achieve specific goals and meet specific success criteria. A project is a temporary endeavor designed to produce a unique product, service or result with a defined beginning and end (usually time-constrained, and often constrained by funding or deliverables) undertaken to meet unique goals and objectives, typically to bring about beneficial change or added value

I'm sure that's technically correct, but it's not pragmatically useful. Is this a tech-based job,like putting together a website? Is this for large-scale community projects? I mean, this sounds like my job in my industry, but we just call it "Boss." I'm trying to figure out if this is a niche in a particular field, or if this is a training and discipline that would be helpful for my business. Can you be a bit more real-world specific?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:27 am
debsey wrote:
I'm sure that's technically correct, but it's not pragmatically useful. Is this a tech-based job,like putting together a website? Is this for large-scale community projects? I mean, this sounds like my job in my industry, but we just call it "Boss." I'm trying to figure out if this is a niche in a particular field, or if this is a training and discipline that would be helpful for my business. Can you be a bit more real-world specific?

When you are a project manager you bring together all the various components necessary to complete a complicated project. I've got my PM certificate and used it in public employment, in public building projects and then in statewide educational assessments.

An easier way to explain it is you start with your goal, let's say it's a specialized building (I worked with research facilities). You work backwards, identifying all the components and the subcontractors, establish timelines on benchmarks, ie. when the site is approved, the foundation poured etc. Each of those benchmarks are comprised of hundreds of details that have to be coordinated with others working on the project. There are specific computer programs that can be used to make your timelines and detail components of the project. These help you stay organized and are a vehicle for communicating with your team members. Not only do these project outlines organize a project they also provide accountability for the different individuals responsible for an item.

When I worked in educational assessments we had a date certain to roll out computerized online state tests. Different components of that project were developing the tests, doing different reviews of each particular test question. Developing the metrics. Getting the copyright permissions on reading samples etc. This all had to be put in place before the roll out went live. It included software developers who had to get this all coded. This was a project that had hundreds of components.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:54 am
I'm a school principal. This sounds like what I do every day, except that I'm managing tens of projects at any given point in time.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 1:05 am
amother wrote:
I'm a school principal. This sounds like what I do every day, except that I'm managing tens of projects at any given point in time.

You may find project management software to be of help for you. But remember a task isn't a project. So if you are evaluating teachers that's not a project. If you are tasked with developing a curriculum with other players that would be a project.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 8:55 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
You may find project management software to be of help for you. But remember a task isn't a project. So if you are evaluating teachers that's not a project. If you are tasked with developing a curriculum with other players that would be a project.

I'm assuming you didn't mean it in such a way, but it's extraordinarily condescending that you feel someone of my position needs schooling on the difference between a project and task. A school under the leadership of someone who can't see beyond the minute components of day-to-day operation is one that surely wouldn't thrive, to say the least.

I will look into project management software and see if supports my work, and good luck to the OP.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:58 am
debsey wrote:

Our accounting firm has a project management department that keeps track of all the various annual and special tax projects for the various thousands of clients. There's a lot involved besides for the tracking but that's the easiest way for me to explain it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:22 pm
I've worked with good project managers and bad project managers. A good project manager must not only be organized, but they also need to have a decent amount of how businesses work, how to work with executives, how to pull together teams that may not know let alone want how to work together, discover and resolve all of the unknowns in their project, be able to mitigate problems immediately when they occur, and do it all professionally no matter how much pressure they are under. You learn some of this in school, but not all of it. You will definitely need a mentor.

This quiz has a good list of skills (keep in mind some of them purposefully ask you to answer in the negative as well): https://www.mindtools.com/page.....0.htm

Bad project managers do not have some or all of the skills I listed and fail to take effort to learn them very quickly. I have seen many, many project managers like this over my years at a large company. Their projects flounder and usually fail. They burn out and leave quickly.

It's not an easy job.

Since a few people seemed interested in what it is and might want to do it, take a look at the continuing education courses local colleges offer. There's usually one in project management. Take the first one and see if you like it. If you do, keep going! If it's something that you like go for the certification from PMI. Take some business classes as well. Most employers will want you to already have a college degree of some sort, too, so if you don't have that then look into colleges that have a project management minor or strong classes in that area. Good luck!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:

They also don't copy and paste from Wikipedia without citing it. Wink

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:30 pm
amother wrote:
I'm assuming you didn't mean it in such a way, but it's extraordinarily condescending that you feel someone of my position needs schooling on the difference between a project and task. A school under the leadership of someone who can't see beyond the minute components of day-to-day operation is one that surely wouldn't thrive, to say the least.

I will look into project management software and see if supports my work, and good luck to the OP.

And you are correct, I didn't.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:

(to be clear, I'm not the person this quote was in response to Wink)

Your work sounds like project management to me. Especially given your last sentence, which is the key to success.

Project management software may or may not be too complicated depending on what you're looking for. I'm not a project manager; I'm a team lead/manager but often wind up picking up slack from bad PMs (see my post above) or need to manage my own team's projects. If you need to keep strict track of costs, do financial tracking, manage people's time, and maintain timelines then it should help a lot. If find it overwhelming for what I do and it bogs me down, but I don't have the same level of responsibility as you.

I haven't tried it, but I know a lot of people who love Trello. Their website is kinda cutesy in its descriptions but the product itself is serious. I think it might be what you're looking for.
https://trello.com/
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics