Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What age to pierce a girl's ears
1  2  3  Next

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:31 pm
If you don't pierce your girls ears when they are newborns (I do not), when do you pierce (assuming you pierce)?

I want the child to be old enough to deal with the pain/discomfort of the process. But don't want to wait til too old, cuz why not get cute earrings already Wink

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:45 pm
I did it at 18 months. My dd was so busy with the winkies that I gave her. She did cry a bit but the winkies was enough of a distraction.

I also had a wedding then that I wanted to do it for

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:51 pm
3 days old

L K

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 7:57 pm
When they ask for them (and are old enough so won't mind the pain).

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:03 pm
I think I got them at 5 or 6.

bsy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:05 pm
I will do it when she asks for them.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:20 pm
I got mine pierced at age 9. My aunt took me for my birthday. My mother would have preferred I waited another year or so.

I will let my daughter get her ears pierced around that age if she is interested. She is mature enough to take care of the post piercing hygeine herself. So far she doesn't seem so interested so I'm certainly not going to insist. Her body her choice.

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:25 pm
Yes, she's interested. But not begging for it. She's young. But likes jewelry. Wink

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I think I got them at 5 or 6.

I think that sounds like a good age. Thanks.

Do you mean that you got them at this age, or that your child did?

If it you're referring to your child, did you find, from the parents perspective, that it went well, or was she scared/anxious about it during the actual piercing process?

Thanks Tongue Out

sky

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:34 pm
We did at age 5\6. As a birthday present or reward for something major (I needed a big insentive then) It still hurt but they wanted it enough that they didn't care and felt wonderful about it.
It went fine, they were so excited. After I think they were surpised with how much it hurt an that it hurt for 1 -2 days after.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:35 pm
gold21 wrote:
I think that sounds like a good age. Thanks.

Do you mean that you got them at this age, or that your child did?

If it you're referring to your child, did you find, from the parents perspective, that it went well, or was she scared/anxious about it during the actual piercing process?

Thanks Tongue Out

I had my daughters' ears pierced when they were a few months old. Smile

I begged my mom for pierced ears and she finally consented at age 5/6. When we waited in the doctor's office for our turn, I was jumping out of my skin and couldn't wait for it to happen already. But once we got inside... They had to ask if I wanted to forget the whole thing and go home, or be held down, because I was so afraid. I opted to be held down and screamed the whole way through. But was super excited thereafter.

I decided to do it for my own kids when they were younger. Smile

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:39 pm
also at 5/6. they wanted it bad enough, that they were willing to deal with some pain to get it.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:46 pm
I wanted to get them when she was an infant but my husband was vehemently against it. He insisted we wait for bas mitzvah because that's what his parents did with his sisters. It's what my parents did with me and I always hated that I didn't have earrings. Now she is too old and I have to wait for her to ask but I gave in on something he wanted on condition he leave this up to me. So now when she asks I have his prior permission to do it without asking again so he doesn't have the chance to say no LOL

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I had my daughters' ears pierced when they were a few months old. Smile

I begged my mom for pierced ears and she finally consented at age 5/6. When we waited in the doctor's office for our turn, I was jumping out of my skin and couldn't wait for it to happen already. But once we got inside... They had to ask if I wanted to forget the whole thing and go home, or be held down, because I was so afraid. I opted to be held down and screamed the whole way through. But was super excited thereafter.

I decided to do it for my own kids when they were younger. Smile

Lol. K. Haha. Thanks!

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:53 pm
I was scared and didn't get my ears pierced til I was engaged and wanted earings for my wedding.
I tell my DDs that yes it does hurt and if/when they decide they want it, I will take them. I don't believe in "mutilating" (strong word, I know) their ears without their mature consent. I would not hurt my baby so she looked cuter - Gd makes them cute enough. I will not sugar coat it as a quick pinch either - it's a hole in their earlobes after all.
So far my DDs are holding off but know I'd take them if they decided.

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:08 pm
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I think age 5/6 sounds about right, assuming she's on board with it.

Thanks

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:14 pm
I got them for my seventh birthday after begging for earrings for two years. I was so in love and felt so beautiful that I didn't notice any pain. It's one of my favorite memories!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:18 pm
My parents said when we were 18 and then 16 IIRC as the years went by...only my youngest sister got them done, and it was before the age they specified...
So I still don't have pierced ears.
My 8.5 yo has mentioned some interest but was fine with a combination screw on/clip on pair we got her as a gift.

Ideally, I think I'd like to do it for her as a bas mitzvah gift, as she is an "adult" to make the decision then. I'm still debating if I were to bring one of my girls to do it, if I would want it done for myself as well.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:20 pm
I waited until dd asked. I feel that it is body modification and her choice for her body. She first asked around 4 and then decided against. She finally got them at 9.

I had mine done around that time too. I let them close soon after because they kept getting infected. Want to do it again, but can't because between Mikvah and chevra kadisha can't know if I'll be able to keep them in when first pierced! (Thought about doing it when pregnant, but was advised against by ob).

(Anon for revealing info)

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:35 pm
I have no self control and pierce them at 3 weeks. They don't cry and it's over in a second. It hurts more when they are older and aware.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics