Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What age to pierce a girl's ears
Previous  1  2  3

sky

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:52 am
amother wrote:
Gold, beware that at age 5/6, they may be super excited but once one ear was done, will not submit themselves for the second ear. My cousin went around with an earring in one ear only for about a year before her mother (my aunt) was able to convince her (and bribe her) to get the other ear pierced as well.

You don't have to go around with one earing. An earing can be taken out immediately after being put in and the hole will immediatly. There isn't even a mark (I know from experience).

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:15 am
When my dd was 4, she asked me for earrings. I had her pinch her earlobes hard for 30 sec and said that it might hurt more than that and we were going to wait until it was worth it. When she was 5 1/2, about to enter primary and having a family simcha she came to me and said.that even though getting rhe holes hurt, I want it badly enough. At that point I let her happily. She knew what she was getting into and decided to do it anyways.

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:55 am
I don't like pierced ears on babies. And I know many people who have had issues with their 3-year-olds pulling them out, getting infected, getting caught on things and tearing the lobe... also sometimes when their ears get bigger, the hole seems to be in the wrong place. I got mine pierced at 6, when I was old enough to want them and appreciate them, and I plan on doing something similar for my daughter (around 5/6).

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:58 am
mommyla wrote:
I don't like pierced ears on babies. And I know many people who have had issues with their 3-year-olds pulling them out, getting infected, getting caught on things and tearing the lobe... also sometimes when their ears get bigger, the hole seems to be in the wrong place. I got mine pierced at 6, when I was old enough to want them and appreciate them, and I plan on doing something similar for my daughter (around 5/6).

I know someone who had them pierced as a baby and when she grew up the hole ended up higher up on her ear. She got a second pierce but the first never closed. So now she has a double pierce and is a very Bais Yaakov type girl - it looks funny!

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 6:21 pm
I didn't read all the posts, but I do ear piercings...generally the younger the baby, the easier it is to do, and the more chances of getting it in the right spot (a skilled person will know where to do it so it doesn't end up higher/lower on the ear when they get older). Babies barely feel it, it's a tiny pinch, their ears r still very thin so there's not much to pinch, And they forget right away. I did my own girls at around 4-5 days.

To those mom's who wanna wait for their daughter to ask cause "their body their choice" which little girl doesn't want earrings? (Aside from those who r afraid to get pierced n wish their mom did it before they even knew they exist) and every girl is afraid of the pain, why make them go through that? Seriously? I remember getting my ears pierced it killed and I was terrified! These days they don't believe in the whole "keeping it clean" thing. I tell my clients not to touch it and it'll be fine, if u see it gets a bit red put some antibiotic ointment, so far I never had anyone say it got infected.

And there's nothing cuter than a newborn little girl in sparkly earrings Very Happy

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 6:54 pm
I heard about this idea from a friend of mine, and loved it so much that I adopted the "minhag".
We do it in honor of her Chumash play. It's a big milestone to start learning Torah inside - and we say how the Torah is beautiful etc. etc. etc.
We go the Sunday before the Chumash play.

cnc

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 6:58 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I have no self control and pierce them at 3 weeks. They don't cry and it's over in a second. It hurts more when they are older and aware.

I also did mine at three weeks
to those posters that remember having to done to them, does it actually hurt? My baby didn't cry- didn't seem she was in pain.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:11 pm
I say, the time is right when they want it. If they are old enough to want it even though they understand it will hurt for a moment, they can have it (and you should prepare them and support them). I don't think it is fair to "make" your child do something so unimportant only for your own sake--that she looks cute. I got mine done at 12, my sister who is 3 years younger than me got it at the same time.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:13 pm
cnc wrote:
to those posters that remember having to done to them, does it actually hurt? My baby didn't cry- didn't seem she was in pain.

I had it as an adult and I found it hardly hurt. Hurt me less than a blood test.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:48 pm
cnc wrote:

That's because a newborns ear is so thin, an older kids is way thicker. Newborns barely even flinch.

And it's not called "making a child do something they don't want " if every little girl wants earrings, never saw a girl who didn't want, unless, as I've stated before, they don't want it cause they're afraid to get it now and they wish their mom did it before they can remember....

Iymnok

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 5:35 am
IMO bad mitzvah means a couple months before so she could wear ones she likes on her birthday.

I got my ears pierced three times. I had to let the, close due to infections. I have an allergy to most metals. Since my daughters might also I won't rusk it until they could handle it.

Right now they know that they get earrings when they stop thumb sucking.

My sister never got hers pierced. "My great grandmother didn't, my grandmother didn't and my father didn't!"

sky

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
And there's nothing cuter than a newborn little girl in sparkly earrings Very Happy

Its all preference. Personally I find pierced ears take away from a baby's natural pureness.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
I pierce for the third birthday. My boys get a yarmulka and tzitzis at three, my girls get earings. Special gifts to celebrate the age of chinuch!

By three, both of my older daughters had seen their friends have earings, and really wanted them, so they withstood the pain bravely. I plan to do it at three for my 2 year old daughter, too, I "yH.

My 27mth old has told me a few times she want them, but I wouldn't do it yet. By age three have your daughters understood not to fiddle with them?

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:51 am
Both kids I did as newborns. They were around 2 weeks.
One flinched the other slept thru it!
My 3 yo lost one earring and until now I didnt find one I loved and complimented her face like her old pair did.
If she's wearing earrings and I'm paying the price (aprox $70-$80 for gold) they cost then both her and I have to absolutely love it.
So for a good 6 months she didn't have earrings. Every few days she kept on asking for earrings.
Now that we finally got her a pair she LOVES them. She loved choosing with me and trying it on.
I got her a screw back hopefully it will last a few years till she needs a bigger earring and won't get lost this time.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:04 pm
the problem with waiting till age 5 or 6 is that they will be so mesmerized & the continuous touching will most likely cause infection

if you don't wish to do this at infant stage between 1 & 3 months ... wait until bas mitzva
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics