Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What color is your Living Room, Dining Room? ceiling color?
1  2  Next

What color is your dining room living room (one room)?
red or burgundy  
 2%  [ 3 ]
White or cream or light beige  
 50%  [ 57 ]
gray  
 22%  [ 25 ]
yellow  
 5%  [ 6 ]
shade of blue  
 9%  [ 11 ]
shade of purple  
 1%  [ 2 ]
orange  
 0%  [ 1 ]
shade of green  
 2%  [ 3 ]
brown  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 112

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:17 pm
What color is your living room and dining room? We have one big room that includes both, so we would probably paint them the same color. Also what ceiling color, do you do the same as walls or different color, and is it anything other than white for celings?
Does anyone have lilac or a shade of purple, is that a weird color for that area?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
What color is your living room and dining room? We have one big room that includes both, so we would probably paint them the same color. Also what ceiling color, do you do the same as walls or different color, and is it anything other than white for celings?
Does anyone have lilac or a shade of purple, is that a weird color for that area?

If it is possible to break up the room with molding, a wall to celing curtain, or some other decorative thing, you can have separate colors.

I have forest green in the living room and a latte color in the dining room. The ceilings and moldings are white. Between the two rooms is a three foot bent wall and that serves as the separations of color. I am not a big fan of lilac, but I love eggplant/wine color and it can look very classy.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:24 pm
Rather than asking here, I believe many paint companies will send an interior (or exterior) designer to help you get the paint color right. The way it worked us was we paid something like $100 but it was redeemable against the cost of paint from the company. These people are very clever and they know what they are doing and it is difficult to work out yourself. And it's a shame to spend a lot of money and get the color wrong.

But to answer at least part of your question, the ceiling should almost certainly be white.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:25 pm
Ceilings and moldings are usually white. If you have a big room it's easier to work with. What color is your couch and furniture? Do you want to go with something more traditional or daring?

BabsB

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:41 pm
We live in a rental so our whole whose is what I like to refer to as "landlord beige."

Although, I'm not that much more interesting. I would choose a taupe, grey, or something equally neutral.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:50 pm
I thought about doing the walls lilac but my husband has more of a typical, classic taste so we're going to go with taupe.
You can definitely do the ceilings! My preference is to leave it white but you can do a lot of cool things with the ceiling. (Don't do it the same color as the walls though or you'll make the room look smaller.)

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:53 pm
we have a nice greige edgecomb gray
moldings we did dove white

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:54 pm
We live in an apartment and have white and it is SO boring! Ugh.
One of my husbands siblings has purple (two shades actually. I don't remember if the ceiling is white or not but it prob is). Anyway I LOVE it. When they first painted it I was like this is so what I want in my house. It's pretty and calming and happy at the same time.

UQT

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 9:58 pm
I have the top a light blue and bottom half white. I love it.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:33 am
walls a light shade of olive green & I painted ceiling with a sandy tan to blend ... mahogany woodwork stuff you never paint over

Moonlight

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:57 am
I know someone with lavender living room/dining room. Its beautiful. Her furniture matches.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:01 am
Living room and dining room walls are a medium beige color. Ceilings are not white because they are extremely high and slanted -- they are a light beige. Moldings, casings and trim are stained oak matching the oak flooring. My whole home is in the general color scheme of beige-bronze-gold-brown. This is in a new home built this year.

sky

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:01 pm
I've seen a room with a deep rich purple - but it was one wall - I could see it overpowering if it was over were. I loved it.
I'd be concerned that lilac would appear too 'girly'. But it could be it depends on the shade.

I just googled lilac dining room, I prefer a deeper purple to a pastel purple.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 6:04 pm
BabsB wrote:
We live in a rental so our whole whose is what I like to refer to as "landlord beige.".

I love it--I'm going to have to steal that phrase (we also rent). I think it should be the next crayon color too ;p

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 6:58 pm
My house is fairly new. I used 2 well known decorators. Both recommended to paint the walls a color, and keep the moldings and ceiling white.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:13 pm
My house is a light yellowish version of landlord beige. White ceilings. White woodwork except where it's chipped. Following here as I want to paint. Why are all the newly decorated houses I walk into decorated in shades of grey, dark grey, beige-grey? Seems to have been trend for a while already. I'd rather paint a color. Blue. Green. Purple. Would have to be light shades because my I think my house isn't big enough for dark walls. Ideas? Should I just follow the grey-loving decorators like a sheep?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
My house is a light yellowish version of landlord beige. White ceilings. White woodwork except where it's chipped. Following here as I want to paint. Why are all the newly decorated houses I walk into decorated in shades of grey, dark grey, beige-grey? Seems to have been trend for a while already. I'd rather paint a color. Blue. Green. Purple. Would have to be light shades because my I think my house isn't big enough for dark walls. Ideas? Should I just follow the grey-loving decorators like a sheep?

If you want to do a color, but want to stay within the trend, you can do a greyish purple/green/purple. I actually painted one room with the (Benjamin Moore) color Spanish olive. It is green with a grey undertone.

eschaya

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:43 pm
In our new home the walls are currently an off white, but we plan on painting an accent wall in each (living room and dining, which are somewhat connected) an avocado green.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 7:50 pm
Moonlight wrote:
I know someone with lavender living room/dining room. Its beautiful. Her furniture matches.

What color exactly- is it light purple? What kind of furniture does she have?

anonymrs

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 8:01 pm
My lr/dr is this color, with about 1-3 feet of wall separating the rooms. The middle wall and the trim are white. It's such a fresh, crisp look; I love it. It's also very versatile, coordinating well with a lot of colors and styles. I'm very happy with it.

Here's the link to the color - http://newhousebuilder.com/wp-.....0.jpg
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics