Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DS refusing to take iron supplement. Help please!
1  2  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:40 pm
My 4 year old son has been complaining for weeks that he is weak and cold. Blood work showed that he is anemic. Now he refuses to take liquid iron supplement. I was advised to give it together with vitamin C and liquid B complex. But he refuses that as well.
By refusing I mean that we tried everything! Mixed it with food or juice, bribery, being strict.... nothing helps... His mouth is shut. Or spits it out.
Is there anyone out there that had to give liquid vitamins to a child? He is a very picky either so he won't eat iron enriched foods. Any way to get some iron in him?
Thanx in advance!

precious

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:44 pm
Do you need to give the liquid? My kids love the chewable vitamins with iron.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:46 pm
Have you tried this https://www.amazon.com/Spatone.....A7U3K

Also, make sure you are giving him methylated B vitamins, it seems his body has trouble absorbing and that's the broken down form of B.

Has he been on any meds long term? I find it concerning that he is so low in iron and B vitamins. If it was my child, I would want to know why.

rowo

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:49 pm
Are there any foods he does eat that could easily have things mixed in?
Yogurt, smoothies, applesauce?
Don't tell him it's there

My dd is like this, low on zinc and I was told to give her a supplement.
She can't swallow tablets and after one try refused the chewables.
She can taste the drops when I put it in water or food etc etc
I gave up for a while, but one day when making her a smoothie I put a few drops in and she didn't notice.
She wasn't expecting it so couldn't make a fuss.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:57 pm
Thank you for replying.
There is only a liquid iron vitamin. The chewable multi vitamins don't have enough iron for him. And he doesn't want to chew it either.
I can't mix it into applesauce, yogurt etc. Because he doesn't eat these things. He is a very picky eater. And also because the iron supplement will overpower it. It's a very strong concentrated mixture. And it's dark brown. Almost black.
His iron level is low since he doesn't eat a lot. Eats very little and he's very skinny.
He a really picky picky eater.
Any other suggestion? Keep em coming please...
Is there a iron shot? Like a b12 shot? Or a suppository?

rachel6543

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:06 pm
Does he like an ice cream shake? would a chocolate ice cream shake be a good way to hide it. Or maybe a blueberry smoothie? Or chocolate milk or chocolate soy milk? Have you tried those food options yet? Or Pedisure?

What foods will your kid actually eat? Maybe we can think of something you might have overlooked & not tried yet?

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:53 pm
Does he drink apple juice? I take the spatone packets which have done wonders for my iron levels. There is an apple flavor that tastes just like apple juice. It's made form anyone two and up.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:57 pm
He doesn't like ice cream or milkshake.... He eats basic foods. Bread, cheese, cutlets. Nothing different.... Or mushy. Make lives cake.. Apple....
I'll look into the spatone. Thanx

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for replying.
There is only a liquid iron vitamin. The chewable multi vitamins don't have enough iron for him. And he doesn't want to chew it either.
I can't mix it into applesauce, yogurt etc. Because he doesn't eat these things. He is a very picky eater. And also because the iron supplement will overpower it. It's a very strong concentrated mixture. And it's dark brown. Almost black.
His iron level is low since he doesn't eat a lot. Eats very little and he's very skinny.
He a really picky picky eater.
Any other suggestion? Keep em coming please...
Is there a iron shot? Like a b12 shot? Or a suppository?

Iron can be ingested or given as shots. There is no such thing as a suppository since the bowel does not contain the intrinsic factor. Cobalamin can only be absorbed in the small intestine. How many milligrams of iron is he supposed to take daily? Have you tried NovoFerrum? And did your Dr. tell you to cut back on cows milk?

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

rachel6543

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
He doesn't like ice cream or milkshake.... He eats basic foods. Bread, cheese, cutlets. Nothing different.... Or mushy. Make lives cake.. Apple....
I'll look into the spatone. Thanx

What's a live cake? If your kid likes cake, maybe the medicine could be hidden in cake frosting?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:04 pm
I follow the instructions on the bottle. A tablespoon of the iron supplement from health food store. Which is 36 mg daily. His iron level is at 10.5

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:09 pm
I just had an iron infusion, since pills dont do much for me.

It took ten minutes to get the IV iron.

I bet he wont like that either (though really IVs are not a big deal)

Maybe it will motivate him to take the pills

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:14 pm
amother wrote:
I follow the instructions on the bottle. A tablespoon of the iron supplement from health food store. Which is 36 mg daily. His iron level is at 10.5

Did your Dr. specifically advise you not to take Novaferrum? Did the Dr. tell you to cut back on his milk consumption? Milk does interfere with the uptake of iron esp. in smaller children. Has your child been tested for the intrinsic factor antibody prior to being prescribed iron? If your child has the antibody oral iron supplements will have no impact.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:29 pm
He is off milk. And Dr suggested that a iron supplement from health food store might be better than ferrous sulfate. I will look into iv or a shot.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:
He is off milk. And Dr suggested that a iron supplement from health food store might be better than ferrous sulfate. I will look into iv or a shot.

Novaferrum doesn't contain ferrous sulfate. It doesn't irritate the stomach.

momo6

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:46 pm
I have a 4 year old on iron supplements. He needed them after low iron after open heart surgery. He would not take the liquid either. He ended up with these gummies http://www.koshervitamins.com/.....lies. He needed 4 a day (we did 2 twice a day) to get the dose the Dr. recommended, but it did the trick. They were kind of expensive. He was on that dose for about 6 months. Now that his iron is at the proper level, we maintain with a chewable vitamin with iron.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:
My 4 year old son has been complaining for weeks that he is weak and cold. Blood work showed that he is anemic. Now he refuses to take liquid iron supplement. I was advised to give it together with vitamin C and liquid B complex. But he refuses that as well.
By refusing I mean that we tried everything! Mixed it with food or juice, bribery, being strict.... nothing helps... His mouth is shut. Or spits it out.
Is there anyone out there that had to give liquid vitamins to a child? He is a very picky either so he won't eat iron enriched foods. Any way to get some iron in him?
Thanx in advance!
the iron liquid tastes terrible and is hard to disguise. Ask the doctor for a different options.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 12:12 am
Iron supplements are toxic.

Has your ds had a trauma in the recent past?

Often a trauma can ''freeze'' parts of our breathing.

Offering him spaces where he feels safe may help him breathe fully, thus oxygenating his cells.

After a particular trauma recently, I had significant anemia. I did not want to take iron pills because of their known toxicity. Neither did I want to do IV because of their known toxicity. Most doctors will not mention this, either because of their own lack of knowledge or because they don't know what else to ''do'' about the problem.

I went away to a country setting for a few weeks, and did some trauma work there as well, and when I returned home, I went for bloodwork and my anemia had improved substantially.

There is a cultural misunderstanding about anemia. Iron supplements are not without toxic effects. The root of the problem is the cells not getting oxygen. Think about how your breath is different when you are relaxed and how it is when you are uptight or scared.

When you are relaxed, breath flows freely and oxygenates the cells. When we are uptight or not safe enough to breathe fully we are constricted inside and then oxygen does not flow freely to the cells- and THAT is what they call anemia and treat it with iron pills.

Maybe my response is more fitting in the natural haven forum as this is not mainstream opinion.

miriamg

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 2:28 am
Are there different brands of iron supplement available? Ask in the pharmacy. Maybe a different brand will be more palateable. (We had this in Israel, and DS was willing to swallow one brand but not another.)

Good luck!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
Iron supplements are toxic.

There is a cultural misunderstanding about anemia. Iron supplements are not without toxic effects. The root of the problem is the cells not getting oxygen. Think about how your breath is different when you are relaxed and how it is when you are uptight or scared.

Maybe my response is more fitting in the natural haven forum as this is not mainstream opinion.

A few things:
1. What you wrote might be worth considering but I personally wouldn't do in an alternative way but a complementary way. If a young child is missing important nutrients, I say, give the kid then nutrients while doing all the emotional work you care to.
2. Often low iron is connected to something else. I know people who were having digestive issues and were anemic and it turned out to be Crohn's.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics