Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Expose my kids to the flu???

DVOM

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 10:23 am
My boys have a long weekend off of school for midwinter break. We were supposed to go to family in Baltimore for Shabbos, and spend Sunday at the Baltimore children's museum. We're on a really tight budget, so this is a great way of taking a 'big trip' without spending much; I know my kids will come back to school on Tuesday and a lot of their friends will have gone to Florida or skiing, or snow tubing. My kids love their Baltimore cousins, and we don't spend weekends together too often, so this is a really big trip for them and a good substitute for some of the bigger trips that we can't afford.

My sister in law called this morning to tell us that her baby ran a very high fever last night. They took her to the doctor this morning, and she has the flu. They'd still be happy for us to come (both sets of kids will be so disappointed if we don't!) but I'm really nervous about exposing my boys to the flu in close quarters.

I'm so torn. This was going to be a really nice vacation for all of us. It will just feel so disappointing to stay home. The cars all packed up to go... My brain is all packed up to go. I'm having such a hard time changing gears and thinking positively of a quiet shabbos at home.

Any thoughts?

bookie

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 10:33 am
I personally would not go. For me it's not worth it to have my kids catch it and then be home for a week. But you have to decide if the trip is worth the chance that they may become sick.

miami85

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 10:38 am
I'd say go, My kids were "exposed to the flu" at someone else's house, but didn't get it, then a few weeks later, my son got the flu--was sick over Chanuka vacation, but bounced back fast. Put all of them on Tamiflu and so far no one got sick either, we didn't get it either.

If you'd regret not going, I would go. You can't get the weekend opportunity back and if everyone washes their hands well, should be fine.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 10:45 am
I would go and just be very careful. Wash hands well. Keep the kids away from the baby.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 11:06 am
So if your kids did the the flu - what is it specifically you are worried about? time of from school? kids feeling like cr@p? complications? childcare if they are off from school?

depending on the age of the kids, (and what your concerns are) I would explain the situation to them, and get their input.

cm

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 11:35 am
Have they been vaccinated? Is the house very cramped, or will you be able to keep them away from the baby?

DVOM

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 12:04 pm
Hey all! Update:

We're going. I called my mom to cry about it, and she graciously asked us to come to her, and then called my two sisters to tell them to come too so that my kids could have a more 'party and vacation' atmosphere (my mama and sisters are the best!) so we did have an alternate option. But in the end we talked to the kids, and were just going to be very careful. I figure on any given day they are exposed to all sorts of stuff at school...

Ok, leaving now to buy a huge bottle of purell!

Thanks for the support everyone!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 12:19 pm
Glad something worked out!!! Hope you have a great and enjoyable weekend!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 12:50 pm
Awesome! Hug Have a great time!

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 2:42 pm
The vaccine seems to have been very effective this year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics