Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Interviewing with person who rejected me

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 7:30 am
A few months ago, I applied for a position. I knew I was fully qualified and was granted an interview. The interview didn't go so well- I mean, it wasn't a disaster, but I knew I didn't ace it either- and I was not surprised to find out I didn't get it. A few weeks ago, they posted for the same position at a different location (this place has multiple locations in my area) and figured I'd try my luck, and sure enough, I've been called for an interview. However, while the position is indeed in a different branch with different people, I will still be interviewed by the same person as last time as she is the head of the dept across the entire organization. I'm freaking out now! I'm worried she'll think I'm crazy for showing up in her office again, even though that's clearly not rational. I know I even have an advantage in that I can prepare better since I know what it's like. But I'm scared to face someone who obviously didn't think I was right for the job last time and who has a tough demeanor. Help! Also, did anyone ever get a job they didn't get the first time they tried?

sourstix

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 7:39 am
It's interesting they called you again. They clearly know you they could have just called you to discuss it on the phone if they thought you are good enough. They obviously want you but want to go it over again. I understand that your freaking out. It's a weird thing. But look at it from a positive perspective that they are calling you because they want to revisit it again. Thinking you have potential. If she has a tough demeanor do you want to work with her? Maybe she looks like this in interviews but when you work with her she's softer? Ask someone that might have worked there if at all possible.

Ask her what her policies are in areas that mean to you to get the feel if she is that tough. I'm just suggesting this, not saying she isn't tough. Sometimes it's just the cover because she runs the organization. Which is very demanding.

You don't know if she thought you weren't good enough in the other job. She might have found someone with different qualifications. Then what you had to offer. Don't take this part personal. There are different variables to each story.

gumby

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 7:45 am
It's possible if it's a large office with multiple branches, that the woman didn't remember you and didn't cross reference your resume. She may have just opened all the resumes meant for this branchs position and seeing that you are qualified called you in for an interview.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 8:38 am
I am currently working for a women who fired me in 2011. Needless to say, I am glad that there is someone else that I report to in between her and me, and I try to avoid her at all costs. In 2011, she thought I didn't have enough experience, and in 2014, she thought I was the best thing since sliced bread, and hired me back. What changed? The needs of the firm, I guess. People had left and they were desperate to hire. B"H it's been working out.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 8:43 am
Maybe she is impressed by your persistence. Don't bring up the last interview unless she does.

nicole81

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 8:43 am
gumby wrote:
It's possible if it's a large office with multiple branches, that the woman didn't remember you and didn't cross reference your resume. She may have just opened all the resumes meant for this branchs position and seeing that you are qualified called you in for an interview.

This might be true, but there's a good chance that she'll connect your face to your name at the interview. I think the best thing to do-- for both your nerves at the interview and for connecting with the interviewer-- is to just lay everything out on the table.

The opening question of the interview will likely give you an opportunity to sell yourself. I would tie in the last interview here, saying that you reflected on the experience and learned/realized [fill in the blank].

-For example, where you nervous and that got in your way? (I personally find that opening up about my nerves at the beginning of the interview puts me at ease and hasn't prevented me from attaining some amazing job experiences BH.)
-Were there any questions they asked that you have given further thought to and would answer differently? You could easily say that their question about _____ really made you think and broaden your perspective on ____.

Whatever the case is, I would identify what went wrong at the last interview and bring that into your opening on how it has specifically made you learn/grow. But keep this part short!

I would then also mention that you were very excited to see the posting again and are thankful for this opportunity, and of course very highlight those experiences, qualifications, and attributes that you believe make this job a wonderful fit.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
A few months ago, I applied for a position. I knew I was fully qualified and was granted an interview. The interview didn't go so well- I mean, it wasn't a disaster, but I knew I didn't ace it either- and I was not surprised to find out I didn't get it. A few weeks ago, they posted for the same position at a different location (this place has multiple locations in my area) and figured I'd try my luck, and sure enough, I've been called for an interview. However, while the position is indeed in a different branch with different people, I will still be interviewed by the same person as last time as she is the head of the dept across the entire organization. I'm freaking out now! I'm worried she'll think I'm crazy for showing up in her office again, even though that's clearly not rational. I know I even have an advantage in that I can prepare better since I know what it's like. But I'm scared to face someone who obviously didn't think I was right for the job last time and who has a tough demeanor. Help! Also, did anyone ever get a job they didn't get the first time they tried?

Give yourself the benefit of the doubt. You didn't get the job last time because they hired someone else who they thought was slightly better suited that you. Had they not interviewed that person, you would have got the job. You don't know if that's factually correct, but you don't know that its not. Try to rewrite the narrative in your mind.

Go in with confidence.

happyone

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 8:56 am
I have interviewed people in the past and didn't seem them fit for the position available at that time. When another position opened up two applicants I turned down were hired for the other position which they were better qualified for. Happens all the time ! Go for it. Give it your best shot .

Last edited by happyone on Fri, Feb 03 2017, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 8:57 am
Just to clarify: This woman is not the one looking at resumes and deciding who to interview. Everything is done by HR. I also would not be working with her. I would be reporting to supervisors at the other location, and they report to her. She is just the one that does all the interviews for this department no matter which location the actual position will be at. I do think she'll remember me, not because I am particularly memorable or because the last interview was memorable, but because I have an interesting background. SO even if she doesn't recognize my face, as soon as we start going over my resume, I think it will become apparent that she's heard this before. I do remember what tripped me up and definitely plan to prepare a better answer that I can project confidently. I also brushed up on certain skills that while I possessed them last time, I got the feeling that she wasn't confident that I was adept enough at that particular thing.

rachel6543

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 8:57 am
Just a thought from the other side. Sometimes it can be difficult for a hiring manager to choose who to hire. Sometimes there are multiple candidates who are a great fit and it can kind of be a lottery who gets the job offer. I know that happened last year in my department. My manager interviewed several candidates for a position. There were two candidates that really stood out, but only one could get the offer. They made the job offer to one candidate first (I think only because this person was just slightly more experienced) and for whatever reason that person turned it down. So the offer then went to the next candidate in line, my coworker who ended up accepting the position. My coworker is fabulous and does a great job. I don't think he knows that a different person was offered the job before him.

Anyways, I hope this perspective helps. Don't take it personally you weren't hired before, the competition for a job can be tough and it can sometimes just be luck or timing of why you didn't get the job, even if they wanted to hire you.

I think it would be a good idea when you interview for this company again to say something like, "I had the privilege of interviewing with you and your company a few months ago for a different position. Even though I didn't get the job I interviewed for, I was very impressed with your company and I think I would be a good fit with this organization because... (give a few examples why).... That's why I applied again when I saw another opportunity that I thought would be a good fit with my background...."

nicole81

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 9:04 am
amother wrote:
I also brushed up on certain skills that while I possessed them last time, I got the feeling that she wasn't confident that I was adept enough at that particular thing.

So say this in your opening!

If you don't own up to having interviewed before, it can be awkward, and I think it will definitely affect your performance. And if she does remember you and you let her bring it up after the first question, then she controls the way in which it's addressed.

If you start off by saying that since the last interview you reflected on your skill set and have done xyz to refine your practice, and then tie it into all the other amazing attributes that make the position a good fit, you have not only eliminated potential awkwardness, but you have turned your previous interview into a positive vehicle for change. Employees like to see reflection, growth, and self-regulation.

imasinger

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 9:09 am
ITA with everyone here.

The attitude isn't, "I'm interviewing with this person who already rejected me."

It's, "I'm interviewing with you again, because I think I have so much to contribute, I'm worth a second look."

Be positive! And remember, going in with the attitude that you will succeed is a big plus.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 9:17 am
amother wrote:
Just to clarify: This woman is not the one looking at resumes and deciding who to interview. Everything is done by HR. I also would not be working with her. I would be reporting to supervisors at the other location, and they report to her. She is just the one that does all the interviews for this department no matter which location the actual position will be at. I do think she'll remember me, not because I am particularly memorable or because the last interview was memorable, but because I have an interesting background. SO even if she doesn't recognize my face, as soon as we start going over my resume, I think it will become apparent that she's heard this before. I do remember what tripped me up and definitely plan to prepare a better answer that I can project confidently. I also brushed up on certain skills that while I possessed them last time, I got the feeling that she wasn't confident that I was adept enough at that particular thing.

Obviously - I don't know how this company works.. but at mine, HR follows up with me after I do interviews. If I provide specific feedback that says this person is not suitable to work for a specific position - HR would not set-up an interview with me again for this person for that role.

As other have said - I would disclose to this interviewer the prior meeting - you would appear like you were hiding something if you didn't.

Miri7

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 11:38 am
Do you have a friend who, when you first met you didn't really think you "clicked" but then after meeting her again and talking, you became good friends? Ever met someone on an "off" day and later found your first impression was wrong? Of course!!! We all have.

I would go into the interview feeling confident that you're qualified for the job. So, you had one interview that wasn't your best. No big deal. I would go in and say that you're so happy to have the opportunity to interview again as you've been disappointed with your last interview edit felt that you had not successfully communicated how excited you would be to work there and what an asset you would be to the business.

Employers value employees who are open, direct, and to reflect on their performance so that they can continue to improve.

Be prepared to answer a question about what you feel did not go well. Use those as opportunities.

Be confident!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics