Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
SOS! Son had 7 ear tube surg. any other options please???
1  2  Next

Greenbelle

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 1:07 pm
My 12.5 y/o son had 7 tube placements already and that is all his ENT offers us.
I am looking for other options, as he is not hearing well due to middle ear fluid build up.
He feels 'out of it' and hard to focus in yeshiva due to not hearing well.

I will try anything that makes sense, including;

chiropractic/ natural healers / energy healing/ herbs/ even an MD with another idea aside from tubes.

Please provide names and if possible numbers, I live in Brooklyn but will travel to NJ/PA etc.
I am pretty desperate.

*I cannot take him off dairy due to other issues.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 1:22 pm
There was an article about just this, last week in the Ami magazine.
It seems the writer's son had a jaw issue that needed to be fixed surgically and after that was corrected could possibly have avoided the numerous tube surgeries. He needed to see an orthodontist who specialized in this issue.
I don't remember the specifics of the name of the jaw issue for you to do research on. Can you see if someone still has the article and can send it to you?

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 1:38 pm
My son had very complex ENT issues and the person who ended up helping him was Dr. Lee Smith who is the head ENT department in Cohen Children's (North well Health formerly LIJ in New Hyde Park). I warn you that his bedside manner is pretty bad, but he dealt with my son when no other ENT would touch him.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 2:09 pm
Have you tried the long term tubes? My son failed 2 placements of regular tubes. One set his ears threw out and the second set his ears swallowed in. He's doing great with the long term tubes though.
Hatzlacha! I know it's hard

real israeli

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 2:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
There was an article about just this, last week in the Ami magazine.
It seems the writer's son had a jaw issue that needed to be fixed surgically and after that was corrected could possibly have avoided the numerous tube surgeries. He needed to see an orthodontist who specialized in this issue.
I don't remember the specifics of the name of the jaw issue for you to do research on. Can you see if someone still has the article and can send it to you?

That boy needed a palette expander - which they wrote can only be done until age 11/12. The writer said the doctors said it was too late at 12 1/2. But it's definitely worth seeing an orthodontist

simcha2

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 2:16 pm
Have no idea, but would this help?

http://www.mycentraljersey.com.....7528/

Teomima

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:00 am
My daughter is on the verge of getting tubes but in a last ditch effort, we saw a new ENT who suggested trying the "EarPopper". We will be getting it this week and hopefully it'll clear up her fluid issue. Have you heard of/tried/considered this?

asp40

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 12:38 pm
I don't want to be too obvious, but have you seen a different ENT?

Smile1234

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 2:49 pm
Yup sounds like it's time to see a new ent!

Smiling Wife

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 5:25 pm
There are very reputable functional medicine Drs who can help. Look into a functional medicine Dr near you...He can look at the whole picture whether it's a structural issue or something else.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 7:34 pm
Has he had his tonsils and adenoids removed yet?
That worked for my son.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 7:37 pm
Also recommend getting an MRI done since he is already big to rule out any problem wit he eustation tube or mastoiditis.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Feb 04 2017, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

anonymrs

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 7:37 pm
Why can't he be taken off dairy? That's usually one of the first things to try. Fluid in the ears is often a sign of a food intolerance/allergy.

rofa

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 7:57 pm
Worth a shot at evaluating for a tongue tie as that can affect the way fluid is swallowed and cause fluid buildup.

http://www.drscottsiegel.com/

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 8:22 pm
My brother had rubes 4 times and just had his adenoids and tonsils taken out this past summer. The issue seems to have cleared up. He is 16 btw

busymother

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 8:36 pm
Orit Esther Ritter does energy healing and is in the ny area now. Google her or if you pm me I can send you her info

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 8:47 pm
My son has bad hearing due to fluid buildup in his ear, it also retracts his ear drum. He is now 9.

We removed his adenoids with one tubes and one ear improved the other did not. We recently did a sleep study and found he has obstructive apnea and we are removing his tonsils. I'm under the impression that this may help his fluid issue.

He also had a pallet extender to fix other issues, including a narrow pallet. After reading the article in the AMI I'm hoping that this may also help his fluid buildup. [In the article the son had tubes 6 times by the time he was 13, The orthodontist wished they had done a maxillary extension much earlier. I was thinking it was surprising that their son had a speech issue and wasn't sent earlier. Both my regular dentist and speech therapist insisted we get a pallet extender by the time he was 8 to correct his pallet. I was dissapointed neither the boy's dentist nor speech therapist pushed it) Perhaps you can get the article from Ami, January 25 2017 issue, the clean bill

naomi2

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 9:01 pm
I don't know anything about tubes but to have the same procedure done 7 times with temporary results each times seems off. I would get a second and third opinion from other ents.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 10:44 pm
My mother took my brother to Dr. Apter, a frum naturapathic doctor in Monsey and her drops solved his fluid in the ear issue. It took a few months.

SS6099

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 10:46 pm
Often removing the adenoids helps. Btdt!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics