Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tips for interview with panel of people

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 1:27 pm
I am interviewing for a new position, and the interview will be in front of a whole panel of professionals, who I assume will all be asking questions.

Any tips to help present with confidence and not get too nervous in such an intimidating situation?

trixx

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 1:36 pm
reframe your thinking. the situation, in and of itself, is not intimidating. you are confident that you have what it takes, otherwise you wouldn't have applied. you are certain you are able to answer questions satisfactorily, or you wouldn't be there. you value the opportunity to meet with several professionals at once so you can learn from what they choose to focus on.

what may be intimidating is the fact that there are so many of them. again, tell yourself that that thought doesn't make you scared, but curious and interested to hear what they will want to know about you

you are only ever speaking to one person at a time. even when you address the panel as a whole, you are making eye contact with each person at a time so that they feel like you are speaking directly to them.

as one person asks a question, look at them directly. as you answer, move your gaze from face to face
if you have to reference an interviewer - "like I said in answer to mr smith's question" or if you dont know their names "as I mentioned before" - briefly look at them and give a small smile or nod of acknowledgment

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 1:45 pm
If possible get the names of the people who you are interviewing with ahead of time, and memorize them. see if they are linked in so you can attach a name to the face - and get an idea of their background.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
I am interviewing for a new position, and the interview will be in front of a whole panel of professionals, who I assume will all be asking questions.

Any tips to help present with confidence and not get too nervous in such an intimidating situation?

The situation isn't intimidating. I've worked a large part of my career in public service and corporate situations where panel interviews are the norm.
Each individual will ask a question and you will be expected to respond. You are not expected to memorize the names or their positions. You will be expected to answer the questions directly and clearly, no umms, or ahs for pauses.

For your own comfort the number of individuals participating in a panel is not relevant. For each individual posing a question respond as if they are the sole interviewer. Make eye contact with the questioner.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 3:02 pm
Thank you all for your responses.

Another question:

Although I am very qualified for this position, there will still be a learning curve obviously, as with any new situation. I am a quick learner and very open to learning new things. I am nervous that someone may ask a question that I don't quite know how to answer. What is a gracious way of saying "I don't really know but I'll be open to learning that"?

Miri7

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 4:01 pm
Make eye contact with everyone. Even someone who doesn't speak much may be a strong supporter in the discussion afterwards. Remember that they all interviewed too.

Deep breaths. Relax. Don't speak too quickly. If they ask something you don't know you can talk about how you would approach the problem. Or say that youre interested in the position because it offers the opportunity to expand your skills. Give an example and say that you liked a former job because you were able to grow or expand your skills in x. This shows a willingness to learn and can highlight special experience you have.

I always come prepared with some talking points - things I want to emphasize. But answer their questions and don't just stick to those points.

Also, come with questions. A printed list is fine. That shows you are serious and thoughtful.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 11:01 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you all for your responses.

Another question:

Although I am very qualified for this position, there will still be a learning curve obviously, as with any new situation. I am a quick learner and very open to learning new things. I am nervous that someone may ask a question that I don't quite know how to answer. What is a gracious way of saying "I don't really know but I'll be open to learning that"?

It really depends on on the question they ask you. can you give a sample question that you think they might ask?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
It really depends on on the question they ask you. can you give a sample question that you think they might ask?

Such as, "How would you handle a situation where..." in regard to supervision of other employees.

queenert

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:16 pm
I think showing a willingness to learn, coupled with accepting guidance (so say something like I'd discuss it with a mentor, etc.), is a great asset. Just play it up that way.

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 1:03 pm
Bring a pad of paper. As you begin, make a little chart with the names of the people sitting around the room so you can try to remember/learn who is who.

This is an exciting opportunity - a chance to not only meet one or two people but a whole panel from the organization! Capitalize upon this opportunity by being prepared, confident, polished and articulate. Don't forget to breathe, make eye contact with all, smile and sit/stand tall!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics