Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Erev Shabbos, Caffeine and Alcohol

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 1:57 pm
Everything I do gets undone. I put out a white table cloth, and my kids come two minutes later and pour purple paint on it. I clean the counter and two minutes later someone is standing there getting into the cabinet and spilling an entire package of cheerios. I pick up all the papers and put them in the corner, and go on to sweep, while my toddler decides to practice cutting all the papers I just cleaned. I don't have the type of kids that you sit on the floor with a bucket of magnitiles and say 'play'. My oldest two are constantly fighting and hurting each other. Today all I had to do was chicken and cholent, but I had a bunch of appointments during the day. I got home at 2, had to bathe everyone, finish cooking, and clean up the whole house. I don't want my kids to have negitive connotations with shabbos prep, but precisely then THEY ARE SO ANNOYING. I also don't have a lot of help from my husband. So I scream at them, then drink a lot of coffee--hoping for a dose of patience, and when all else fails, start on our shabbos wine. Its starting to kick in now....good shabbos everyone. Sunny

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 4:44 pm
My kids are lovely and very sensory. Their favorite activity is making a concoction out of any liquid or powder that I have in the house. They like mouthwash and toothpaste, all drinks and syrups, and their #1 favorite is sugar. So if you come to my house and the kitchen floor is sticky and crunchy, please understand that the cleaning lady left a half hour ago but there is nothing that I can do about the kitchen floor because it gets like that right away.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 4:54 pm
Can you bathe them thurs night so you have one less thing to do? What about a DVD can it keep them occupied for an hr while you clean?

Coffee Addict

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 5:45 pm
Op I loved your post!! Sounds like there's some fun in your house. Good for you for your positive attitude!
Bathing in the winter only THURSDAY NIGHT. all kids. One less thing to do.

Friday afternoon is you tube kids time. That's my sanity saver!

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 6:24 pm
LOL did anyone notice OP's amother name is Coffee? I love when that happens.

I also do baths Thursday night, as well as anything else that can be done in advance - I typically get home around 3:30 on Fridays.

I still end up rushing into Shabbos and feeling like that's all wrong, but as long as I'm relaxed about it... right?

Ashrei

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 8:12 pm
seeker wrote:

I also do baths Thursday night, as well as anything else that can be done in advance - I typically get home around 3:30 on Fridays.

I still end up rushing into Shabbos and feeling like that's all wrong, but as long as I'm relaxed about it... right?

Right!

little_mage

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:57 am
seeker wrote:

It doesn't matter what time Shabbat starts-I'm rushing into it. If I can be ready at 4 in the winter, I don't know why I'm still rushing at 8 in the summer, but I am.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 4:55 am
We leave as little prep for friday as possible.

Also, our rule is no TV during the week for the kids, but as soon as they are ready for shabbos, they can watch as much as they want until shabbos starts. They love friday afternoon :-)

Yael3

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 8:58 am
I've already made peace with the fact that no matter how much I prepare in advance, even if all baths are done on Thursday, erev Shabbos is going to be hectic in our house. So long as I don't expect anything different, I'm not disappointed and it works out.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:08 am
the best source of staying out of trouble is teaching them to help mommy for shabbos ... not only good for less mess ... but great for chinuch

everything goes away like paint & scissors & out comes the table cloth they can help put on the table ...

they can bring you potatoes to peel & help wash them [when they get bigger they can peel them too & maybe even cut them]

count out candles

put away groceries

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:12 am
seeker wrote:
LOL did anyone notice OP's amother name is Coffee? I love when that happens. ...

totally coffee Drunken Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics