Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What do you love to read about?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 8:32 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Examples of books I read that made me cry recently: Black and White novella by Dov Haller, The Freedom to Be by Chaya David -- kids with real struggles and good people trying to help them

Dov Haller's great.
And I was pleasantly surprised by The Freedom to Be. I wouldn't say it rates with some of my other favorites but since I knew of a local library that didn't want to get it, I was wondering how heavy or graphic it was, and if it was at least passably written. I would say that the bolded sums it up well.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 8:36 am
wrote:
This exactly.

When I was a kid I liked Ruth Benjamin and Chaim Eliav (The Gordian Knot was a favorite) but his later books I found too sensationalist and catered more to the exciting plot than to actual literature..

FTR, Yair Weinstock wrote The Gordian Knot. I was wowed by the first two thirds of it, before it veered into thriller territory.
And Chaim Eliav (aka R' Moshe Grylak; he himself is quite open about it. I wouldn't out anyone who's still laboring under the delusion that people don't really know who s/he is Wink ) wrote The Mission, The Runaway, In the Spider's Web, and I think one more I'll remember once I get in the car.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 4:25 pm
The Envelope?

Yeah, you gave away nothing...even his niece told me years ago who he was before English Mishpacha came out; he didn't care if others knew Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room