Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is your response? 🚪
1  2  Next

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:39 am
When you knock on someone's door, what do you do when the say, "whooo is it?"

Mrs. Xxxx
First and last name
Xxxx's Mommy
Me
Nothing

Are you comfortable with your response?
Do you stammer an half response?

Does it make a difference who's asking, like if it's a man or a woman, if it's a child, if you know them well ir not?

I'm just looking for an interesting discussion, I'll give my response later.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:42 am
It all depends. My moms house I answer- me. My siblings or in laws or good friends- just a first name or possible me, if they are expecting me. Anybody else, first and last name. I feel very comfortable answering any of those, why in the world wouldn't I ?

martina

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 8:14 am
I say my first and last name
Theres this beautiful story of one of the first chassidish gedolim (I think reb elimelec of lizensk if I am not mistaken) about a talmid knocking on the door and when asked who it is replied "me" and how the rebbe wouldn't open until he said his name, because who truly is this "me" ....

pizza4

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 8:33 am
At my mil or siblings- I answer with my first name. All others, sometimes full name (ie friend) and sometimes just my last name...

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 8:39 am
First and last name, unless it's family, in which case first name, Mommy or Bubby as appropriate.

I can see calling myself someone's mommy if I'm picking up from a playdate and a child answers the door, but even then, I'd probably say first name last name, and then add X's mom.

I find Mrs. X wierd. What are you hiding? It's especially inappropriate in a professional setting. When I call an office, I want to speak to John Doe, not Mr. Doe.

I've taken plenty of phone calls from prominent rabbis who say Hi it's Ploni Almoni or whatever, no titles. To me, that's appropriate. (And I respond, how are you Rabbi Almoni.)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:43 am
If it is a kid, I'd say "mrs.___" if it was a husband, I'd say last name only, if it was wife, I'd say my first name" I am comfortable with that.

pizza4

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:46 am
amother wrote:

I can see calling myself someone's mommy if I'm picking up from a playdate and a child answers the door, but even then, I'd probably say first name last name, and then add X's mom.

Yes I do this too, if a child answers and I'm picking up my kid, I'll say, for example mimi's mommy.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:50 am
when dd#1 was around 2 she would knock on my neighbor's door & say my first + last name with her cute skipping of hard sounds

me I just open doors with friends but I find this different in cleveland vs brooklyn

how many greenfires can there be ?!

yo'ma

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 9:54 am
I say my first name except when I pick up my kids from their friends house, I say mama de xxxx because that's what they do here and most people don't know my first name anyway.

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:01 am
[quote="martina"]I say my first and last name
Theres this beautiful story of one of the first chassidish gedolim (I think reb elimelec of lizensk if I am not mistaken) about a talmid knocking on the door and when asked who it is replied "me" and how the rebbe wouldn't open until he said his name, because who truly is this "me" ....[/quote]

the story is of reb aron of karlin. theres a song composed about it from avrum fried. its in yiddish if it matters. alot of imamothers know what I mean.

anyway the point in the story is that the only "me" is hashem. a person should not be a baal gaava and say me. only hashem says me "anochi" like in aseres hadibros. a person should remember that yes he has a lot of potential but dont be haughty. hope this is clear. now back to the topic at hand.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:09 am
Usually last name only.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:13 am
Last Name only because people don't even hear the first name. Even at mom's house. Btw people don't say me Because there is only one me which Hashem like the person before me said.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:26 am
martina wrote:
Theres this beautiful story of one of the first chassidish gedolim (I think reb elimelec of lizensk if I am not mistaken) about a talmid knocking on the door and when asked who it is replied "me" and how the rebbe wouldn't open until he said his name, because who truly is this "me" ....

Can you explain what is beautiful about this story?

Fox

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:35 am
First name and last name. When I was a kid, I always had it drilled into me that "one never gives onself a title." I have no idea where this comes from or if my mother just made it up or extrapolated from some obscure etiquette book designed for European royalty. Like white shoes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, it's stuck to me like white to rice.

sequoia

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:30 pm
First name

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 1:09 pm
martina wrote:

Yes, it's a beautiful story. But, I believe it's with the mezritche maggid. There is only one "Anoichi" and that is H-shem. I always use this story to teach my kids not to say "me" at the doorbell.

martina

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:47 pm
TThank you sourstix for explaining the story. I always remembered that the message of thw story was that none of are big enough to be a "me" but couldnt recall the rest.
Yes a beautiful story with a beautiful lesson indeed

martina

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
Can you explain what is beautiful about this story?

See Sourstix reply

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:57 pm
Pearl there's nothing to rave about the story. It just teaches us a lesson. That only Hashem is onoichi. We should be careful to keep ourselves humble that the one with real worth is Hashem.

Hashem is the one that gives and takes. No one here in this world is more worthy then anyone else. We get out worth from Hashem and no one can take it away. Miriam adahan elaborates on this. I wish I would think this more often. It would definitely give me more self confidence.

There is something about how af sings it that is so beautiful.

Does this explain it? I hope so.

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 5:41 pm
It's the plumber. I've come to fix the sink.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics