Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Super Bowl

pknt

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 4:50 pm
Can someone explain to me in Laymen's language how the game is played? Why do scores jump up a few numbers for one win? ....

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 5:15 pm
There are several ways to score, and they are worth different amounts of points.

From NFL Beginner's Guide to Football:

Quote:
SCORING
The object of the game is to score the most points. There are four ways to score points in football.
TOUCHDOWN = 6 POINTS
A touchdown is the biggest single score in a football game. It is worth six points, and it allows the scoring team an opportunity to attempt to get an extra point. To score a touchdown, the ball must be carried across the goal line into the end zone, caught in the end zone, or a fumble recovered in the end zone, or an untouched kickoff recovered in the end zone by the kicking team.
EXTRA POINT and the TWO-POINT CONVERSION = 1 or 2 POINTS
Immediately following a touchdown, the ball is placed at the opponent's two-yard line, where the offense has two options. Usually the offense will kick an extra point, also called the point after touchdown, conversion, or PAT. If the offense successfully kicks the ball through the goal posts, it earns one point. The offense can also score two points by running or throwing the ball into the end zone in the same manner as you would score a touchdown. Since going for two points is more difficult than kicking an extra point, the offense generally chooses to kick the extra point.
FIELD GOAL = 3 POINTS
If the offense cannot score a touchdown, it may try to kick a field goal. Field goals are worth three points and often are the deciding plays in the last seconds of close games. They can be attempted from anywhere on the field on any down, but generally are kicked from inside the defense's 45-yard line on fourth down. For a field goal to be "good", the placekicker (or field goal kicker) must kick the ball through the goal-post uprights and over the crossbar. The defense tries to block the kick and stop the ball from reaching the goal post.
SAFETY = 2 POINTS
The safety is worth two points. A safety occurs when the offensive ball carrier is tackled behind his own goal line.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 5:22 pm
I don't know tons, but in short: Different accomplishments are worth different numbers of points. A touchdown (getting the ball into the end of the field, known as the endzone) is worth 6 points, with a chance for another point which they nearly almost get, so usually 7 points. At any time, instead of trying to score a touchdown, a team can kick the ball for (correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's called) a field goal, which is 3 points.

pknt

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 6:09 pm
Wow! That was helpful! Thank you!!!!

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:07 pm
If you're watching the game, did you see that????!!!!

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:16 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
If you're watching the game, did you see that????!!!!

Yes.
Is this really happening??

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:40 pm
Yay!!!'

That was awesome!!!

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:40 pm
My kids are mad at me. They were going for the falcons.

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 7:49 pm
Lol. As were mine. Oh well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics