Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Necessary basics for newborn?
1  2  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:05 pm
I can't ask anyone IRL bc they will all yell ayin hara lol

But I'm due any day now imyh and have super cash at Old Navy. was thinking to buy a onesie or something so that I literally have what to put on the baby.

1. does it make sense to purchase this now
2. does it make sense to purchase these items?

one-piece snap up
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/.....74546

one-piece zip up
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/.....35479

bodysuit (what is even the point of these? undershirts?)
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/.....07454

rachel6543

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:11 pm
It's a good idea to have a few pieces of clothing so you have something to bring baby home from in the hospital and at home, until you get all your other essentials.

The onesies (or bodysuits) are good to have , especially since its winter and they're good for layering.

I personally like the one piece zip ups vs anything with snaps. Zippers are faster and much easier to deal with, esp with a wiggly baby.

Is this the advice you're looking for? Feel free to ask more questions.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:24 pm
each parent is different - but the two items you posted first I'd use only as nightwear. For the day - a long sleeve version of your third link, paired with pants, and socks, and cardigan if its cold.

and yes - as Rachel said - your baby needs something to travel home in (assuming its a hospital birth).

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:36 pm
I would buy only long sleeve, and dress baby in both onesie and pj, if they have mitten cuffs better.
Socks, hats, blankets.
3-4 complete sets of onesie, pj with feet, socks, baby hat, blanket.
Perhaps you can get at least one that is warmer.
I would also get or borrow a bunting snowsuit, it's quite cold outside.

Also
Diapers
Wipes
Bottles

Anyone else can include other basics.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:39 pm
yum, first time moms are so cute.

You need about 14 bodysuits (yes they are undershirts and they have snaps so they don't ride up under clothes). You also need about 14 of those zip up coveralls. I don't know where you live, but where I am it is freezing. I'd get most of them fleece or velour. I'd also get socks to put under there for an extra layer (they don't sleep with blankets), beany cotton hats, a sweater, couple blankets. I am not a big fan of snaps on coveralls for newborns because it takes too long to do. Better to get a full zipper. I'd also get a sleep sac.

Also, about sizing, skip the newborn unless you know you are having a tiny baby. None of my kids ever used it more than a week.
https://www.amazon.com/Carters.....n+boy
https://www.amazon.com/Carters.....sr=8-
7&keywords=fleece+newborn+boy
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-.....+hats
(the mittens are because ou cant cut their fingernails the first week and they tend to scratch themselves)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V.....psc=1
b shaa tova!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 10:53 pm
14? Why so many? That is a ton. Newborns outgrow their clothes/ undershirts pretty fast sometimes. I like velour "stretchies" for the winter as they are very cozy. You will need some blankets for the house (we call them receiving blankets) and like 2 hats. 7-8 newborn undershirts that close on the bottom with snaps is good to have too.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:08 pm
amother wrote:
you cant cut their fingernails the first week and they tend to scratch themselves)

Can't cut? Shouldn't cut? I cut them...

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:09 pm
IMO, you don't need 14 from day 1.
You should at least have 3-4 complete sets as soon as you come home.
Bodysuit, zip or snap one piece, socks, hat, swaddling blanket.

The sleep sac, long sleeve one piece with the bottom sewn up are great. If you can get 1 or 2 like these, great.

First time moms get lots of gifts.

It's very cold so please make sure he's warm enough, but not too hot.
Rule of thumb, if you are warm then baby is warm enough.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:11 pm
I'd start with 5 pieces. You might get some gifts, you might need different sizing, and you definitely don't want 14 sets of the same size for a newborn that will outgrow all those clothes in a few weeks.
You'll need at least 8 of everything, but I don't think you should buy it all now.
I'd buy 2 nicer newborn size clothes for those times you want baby to look just so without hanging clothes, 3 in size 3 months. And a pack or 2 of the nightie clothes like the first link you posted as well as the onsie undershirts (half and half sizes). And leave the rest for after baby is born and you have more of an idea of what you really want and need.
You'll also need
Blanket
Receiving blankets
Burp cloths
Bibs
Hats
Snow suit
Infant seat
All the pharmacy items for you and baby.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:00 am
amother wrote:
Can't cut? Shouldn't cut? I cut them...

I never heard of that. I cut when needed

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:14 am
amother wrote:
yum, first time moms are so cute.

You need about 14 bodysuits (yes they are undershirts and they have snaps so they don't ride up under clothes). You also need about 14 of those zip up coveralls. I don't know where you live, but where I am it is freezing. I'd get most of them fleece or velour. I'd also get socks to put under there for an extra layer (they don't sleep with blankets), beany cotton hats, a sweater, couple blankets. I am not a big fan of snaps on coveralls for newborns because it takes too long to do. Better to get a full zipper. I'd also get a sleep sac.

Also, about sizing, skip the newborn unless you know you are having a tiny baby. None of my kids ever used it more than a week.
https://www.amazon.com/Carters.....n+boy
https://www.amazon.com/Carters.....sr=8-
7&keywords=fleece+newborn+boy
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-.....+hats
(the mittens are because ou cant cut their fingernails the first week and they tend to scratch themselves)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V.....psc=1
b shaa tova!

Just wanna point out that my baby was in newborn size for a good five weeks. He was born six pounds which isn't crazy tiny. Everyone is different I guess..

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:54 am
I used my newborn sized clothes for about a month. I think I have about six outfits in that size. Some days they go through line five, other times they could wear the same thing for three days. (Not that they do...)
Get the bare minimum now. Three strechies, some undershirts, a hat, a pack of newborn diapers, a car seat and a blanket. You will get gifts as people visit you and hear the news and the gender.
You don't know yet what type of closure you prefer, so get at least one of each. Snaps, zipper, two piece with a hoodie.

Socks to put under everything are nice in the winter.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:48 am
Lawngreen from before here. I said 14 because they are constantly spitting up and having explosive diapers. I know I change their clothing at least three times a day when they are really small. I said to get 0-3 and skip newborn--my smallest baby was 8 lbs.

bsy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:15 pm
Am I really the only one who doesn't differentiate between clothes and sleeping clothes for newborns??? The first link you posted is just fine for clothing imo.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:17 pm
I control my own heat so if we are not going anywhere I put my baby in a tee shirt onsie and pants. If we are going out I put a sweatshirt over. DH watches him and finds it easier to change diapers in pants and a onsie then a zippered or snapped sleeper. I get a kick out of getting him dressed.

bsy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 12:22 pm
I found outfits with shirts or onesies and pants and socks to be VERY annoying when changing 12 diapers a day. I only like one piece stretchies with either snaps or a zipper. A plus if it doesn't have to go over the head. I barely used outfits with 2 pieces because it was too annoying. I still prefer eeasy stretchies and my baby is 6 months old...

lucky14

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 9:54 pm
bsy wrote:
Am I really the only one who doesn't differentiate between clothes and sleeping clothes for newborns??? The first link you posted is just fine for clothing imo.

Agreed! Even for older then newborns honestly. I actually think they look cuter.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:05 pm
bsy wrote:

My baby is 2 months and still wears stretchies day and night. I think it's more comfortable for the baby. The more "adult"-like outfits with pants and matching socks (or little dresses for a girl) might look adorable but are not as practical.

PassionFruit

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:14 pm
bsy wrote:

My baby is a year and I kept him in stretchies practically the entire winter (and deff under 6 months!!). Even in the summer, I always gravitate to one piece rompers.

Who wants to fuss? I bought stiff jeans and pants, button down shirts and vests for my oldest. I gave them all away when I had my second. Who wants to cuddle with 5 layers of crunch? Who wants to be looking around for socks and booties and watch the 4 month old that will spit up in five seconds ruin his ironed button down shirt? Not me, that's for sure. You buy one or two "impressive outfits" when you want to show off your baby on an outing or for a picture. Not more.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 8:46 pm
ok thanks everyone
I went with some onesies (I agree with no need for real clothing for a baby) both snap and zip, socks and a snowsuit.
from kohl's will get swaddle, receiving blanket, socks, hand mittens and hats. and ill use as needed and return whatever is left.
I don't quite get the point of the snap top undershirts? if I'm not using them as tops and only using onesies? I guess I'll figure it out as I go along. and I'm also sure to get hand-me-downs from sisters and sils although I don't want to rely on that, I want to have my own stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics