Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Preschool interview-does this happen?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 5:44 pm
Is it common for preschools nowadays to interview kindergarten age kids or have them observed?
It feels silly to me sending my little one to be observed.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 5:52 pm
Yes, that is standard procedure.

The school wants to get a feeling for the child and see if there are any issues. They also want to see if the parents will fit in.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 5:52 pm
Yes our school sets up and interview with the parents and little one. They ask questions from the application that was already filled out about the family and then speak to the little one, go over a book, ask questions, see where the kid is up to.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:52 pm
Right, I had that with my older kids too.
But now they are tacking on an additional meeting to watch how the kids interact without one another in a group environment as part of the application process.
Is that par for the course too?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 6:56 pm
Interesting. My kids school does not meet the child at all. They only interview the parents.

cm

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 7:12 pm
They want to see if the child shows any obvious delays or problems. Not unusual.

Miri7

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
Right, I had that with my older kids too.
But now they are tacking on an additional meeting to watch how the kids interact without one another in a group environment as part of the application process.
Is that par for the course too?

Yes

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 9:14 pm
We had an "interview" - the child was invited to participate in the kindergarten class for a short while, during which the teacher interacted with her a little, and then the principal met with us in a separate room and also talked to the child a little. It was very low-stress and they were totally understanding if a child was shy and refused to talk to anyone, so I'm not entirely sure what the point was and what a child would have to do at such an interview in order to NOT be accepted.

I think it was more beneficial for us than for the school. I haven't seen that much authentic classroom interaction since my kid actually started going there! It was nice to visit in the middle of class, and to show the kid what she has to look forward to.

OMG!

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 9:19 pm
Yes. We had the same thing going on with my kids. I think it's much easier to put kid on bus the next day knowing that he or she is a little familiar with the new school. They got to see the teacher students and classroom the day before.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 9:19 pm
Thank you all for responding- glad to hear it's a fine thing.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:01 pm
OMG! wrote:
Yes. We had the same thing going on with my kids. I think it's much easier to put kid on bus the next day knowing that he or she is a little familiar with the new school. They got to see the teacher students and classroom the day before.

That sounds more like an orientation then an interview.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:34 pm
Just started the admission process for my kid for first grade next year and the school requires each child to be evaluated by a pediatric psychiatrist as part of the application process. Just the evaluation is $500+!

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
Just started the admission process for my kid for first grade next year and the school requires each child to be evaluated by a pediatric psychiatrist as part of the application process. Just the evaluation is $500+!

That's a new one! I'd look for a different school. If there isn't one, I just feel really bad for you. Like...what? Is your child transferring due to some kind of emotional or behavioral difficulty in the previous school?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 12:16 am
It's a standard part of the application for all kids. No transferring - it's for next year.

There are other options but this is the school we want so I guess we'll suck it up and do it, but I was astounded that it's expected.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers