Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What to buy for my kids from grandparents

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 11:43 pm
ILs gave me $50 or $25 per kid to buy something for my kids from them. They want it to have meaning as a gift from them, but they don't know what kids enjoy because they aren't really around kids much. In the past they bought books that looked nice but weren't a great hit. Nothing wrong with them, but my kids aren't really interested in taking them out again and again - even though each one has many shorter stories in it so potentially you could do a lot of reading and not get bored.

The kids have tons of toys and games to the point that they barely get around to all of them. Though if there's something especially different with some special value I could see making room...

Something of Judaic value would also be nice. These are pretty much the only people who would be giving the kids Judaic gifts, so if I'm buying something on their behalf it makes sense to be of that nature. But it doesn't have to be.

Interested in any and all suggestions. Can either be $50 worth of things to share, or $25 per child. It's OK if there's change left over, doesn't have to be exact, the point is approximate value and that it's about equivalent for each child.

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 11:50 pm
I know chanuka just passed but do your kids have own chanukiot... when we turned bar/bat mitzvah, we got chaukiah from ... I think our cousin... although now that it's after chanuka, might be sales

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 12:40 am
If you have too many toys can you get permission to by an experience (eg visit to zoo) instead?

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 12:53 am
amother wrote:
If you have too many toys can you get permission to by an experience (eg visit to zoo) instead?

I second this. When I was a child my mom used monetary gifts from our grandparents towards experiences and then sent photos of us at the destination. My grandparents loved it.

dina125

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 1:03 am
What are the approx ages of your children and would you be able to ask them directly what might enjoy in around that price range (something that would be nice but not need) & can get those things as "extras" for them from grandparents? Maybe some sort of photo thing - can even be picture of kids with their grandparents on it - used in a mug/plate or something like that?

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 1:06 am
I'd rather an object that the kids can remember it's from them whenever they use it. $50 isn't going to go that far toward an experience that would make it so memorable. I can think of somewhere we'd like to visit in that price range but I think the grandparents had in mind something more tangible.

The kids have menorahs they made out of tiles. But something of that kind of nature would be great. Older DD already has her own siddur, younger DD is still too little for a real one.

Ooooh I just realized - I think both girls would love to get their ears pierced... I was waiting for an occasion I could use to my advantage like an incentive when needed, but haven't thought of a plan yet. Maybe we could make it a gift from the ILs. I'll ask what they think of that. I don't know if I'm fully ready to start punching holes in my children and then having to keep track of earrings and earring backs and make sure they're not pulling on them, but I get the feeling it's going to be inevitable anyway...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics