Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How much solids does a baby need to drop night feedings
Previous  1  2

5*Mom

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
I just want to add that this journey to sleep train and get her on a normal schedule is very hard for me emotionally. I struggle with anxiety and it has been standing in the way of me being able to feel confident and secure in what I am doing so please if you can all be supportive. Thank you in advance.

Is this something that you *want* to do or something that you feel - or someone is telling you - you *should* do?

lucky14

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 1:54 pm
you're getting such mixed advice on this, is it possible to call up her pediatrician and ask if it's OK for her to go the whole night w/o nursing based on the amount she's eating and nursing during the day time?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
A friend of mine advised me to not her feed her at all at night (12 hrs) and than let her eat to fill by day, that she will end up eating more. Please weigh in.

Most 10 month old babies have the physiological capacity to sleep for 12 hours without being fed, if they have sufficient caloric intake during the day, especially if the diet includes 'slower burning' calories from complex carbohydrates and proteins.

If that's a goal for you and baby - most people here have advised to get her there gradually, rather than to just immediately stop feeding her at night.

somehow my DD figured out that she needed to drink up a lot before bed time, to get her through the night. If I knew how she 'learned' how to do that - I would share it.... I think I just got lucky!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 2:20 pm
Fruits and veggies are not going to help her be less hungry, the have very little calories - protein and fat (with carbohydrates preferably) will. Oatmeal has a nice amount of protein. Chicken soup with potatoes and other vegetable is great (you can blend it).

In general, a 10 month old still needs a lot of breastmilk. The food is in addition to the breastmilk, not instead of it. Also, the ability to sleep is not only linked to how full they are. Start slow in cutting out feedings. Every time she wakes to eat, try staving her off for 10 minutes, in order to gradually lengthen the amount of time between feedings.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:46 pm
amother wrote:
Most 10 month old babies have the physiological capacity to sleep for 12 hours without being fed, if they have sufficient caloric intake during the day,

Exactly my point. Thank you.
She is 20 lbs and eats a lot and should have been on solids a while ago but since I was nursing her every two hours by day and every hour at night she was fine. Except I didn't know how hungry she was bec most of the time she was lolling and not at all sucking hard. Yesterday I upped her solid intake and she only woke three times.that is a huge success for her! I am hoping that upping her solid intake and nursing her more by day (more ounces per feed, not more feedings) that the issue will solve itself. And if not than at least I will feel more confident to sleep train her. And I can always come back here to get a mix of very helpful, somewhat helpful and slightly unhelpful advice. Thanks everyone for caring. Smile

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
Exactly my point. Thank you.
She is 20 lbs and eats a lot and should have been on solids a while ago but since I was nursing her every two hours by day and every hour at night she was fine. Except I didn't know how hungry she was bec most of the time she was lolling and not at all sucking hard. Yesterday I upped her solid intake and she only woke three times.that is a huge success for her! I am hoping that upping her solid intake and nursing her more by day (more ounces per feed, not more feedings) that the issue will solve itself. And if not than at least I will feel more confident to sleep train her. And I can always come back here to get a mix of very helpful, somewhat helpful and slightly unhelpful advice. Thanks everyone for caring. Smile

You're welcome. Happy to read things are getting better for you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics