Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Healthy cupcakes

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 12:06 pm
Is there a recipe that does not have tons of sugar and orange juice? I need a very simple cupcake or muffin recipe. It can't have oats or nuts (allergies) as I noticed the healthy recipes have. But don't want it full of sugar and juice either. Am I searching for the impossible?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 12:23 pm
Find a basic whole wheat muffin recipe, but reduce the sugar. For sweetness add dried fruits*, grated carrots, and grated zucchini. For extra nutrition, add a scoop of protein powder, flax seeds, hemp seeds - and if you want dairy, add powdered milk. Adjust the liquid as needed, if it looks too dry. Depending on the allergy, many people can tolerate sunflower seeds. Use them raw, as they have more nutrients that way.

I make these for DD and DH, and they gobble them down. If you make the batter a bit stiffer, you can turn them into cookies or breakfast bars.

*If you add raisins, dried pineapple, or dates, soak them in a bit of hot water for a half an hour first. This makes them tastier, and releases some of the sugar into the batter. Use the soaking water as part of the liquid you measure in. You could probably get rid of the sugar in the muffin recipe all together. Try it first with reduced sugar, and on the next batch, try without any added sugar at all.

lifesagift

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 12:32 pm
I once tried a mini cupcake made with beets n cocoa for 7 yr old dd bday party... was a hit! If thats what ur looking for... has no nuts

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 2:20 pm
I forget how much sugar it did or didn't have, but I love the healthy double chocolate muffins from overtimecook.com

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 4:43 pm
Make a recipe with a pumpkin puree base. It adds sweetness and moisture.

eschaya

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 4:45 pm
Whole wheat banana muffins... the bananas are sweet and creamy, thereby allow you to use less sugar and fat than you'd need to otherwise.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 5:08 pm
try corn muffins ... add bananas, blueberries, honey in place of sugar & less than you normally would and/or apple sauce

really it's anything you like or don't like or can eat ... ground flax seed, soy milk [you won't necessarily need eggs or oil]

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 5:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make a recipe with a pumpkin puree base. It adds sweetness and moisture.

Do u have a recipe for this?

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 5:13 pm
At the moment we're ready to do a hamen tashen dough with white whole wheat flour. How do I interchange with reg flour?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 7:17 pm
2GN wrote:
Do u have a recipe for this?

Here's a basic recipe. You can cut down on the sugar as per your tastes.
http://www.livewellbakeoften.c.....ting/

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 9:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Here's a basic recipe. You can cut down on the sugar as per your tastes.
http://www.livewellbakeoften.c.....ting/

Thank u! Have a container of pumpkin puree in my fridge...

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 9:51 pm
lifesagift wrote:
I once tried a mini cupcake made with beets n cocoa for 7 yr old dd bday party... was a hit! If thats what ur looking for... has no nuts

I would totally try it. As long as the cocoa can be substituted with carob powder.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 9:52 pm
eschaya wrote:
Whole wheat banana muffins... the bananas are sweet and creamy, thereby allow you to use less sugar and fat than you'd need to otherwise.

Mind posting the recipe?

lifesagift

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 11:12 pm
http://minimalistbaker.com/fud.....fins/
I made this a bit fancy by frosting with simple white glaze n drawing lil hearts with glaze mixed with some beet juice. Gorgeous

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 11:16 pm
2GN wrote:
I would totally try it. As long as the cocoa can be substituted with carob powder.

Why carob instead of cocoa? Cocoa has lots of nutrients in it (unless there's a chocolate allergy, which would be really sad.)

Beets are delicious when hidden in chocolate. The best chocolate cake I ever ate had a whole can of beets pureed into it, and I never tasted it. The hostess didn't tell anyone until all the cake had been devoured!

If you're going to make banana muffins, you might as well go the whole way and throw in a handful of cocoa or carob nibs. They make a nice accent against the banana.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 11:21 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Why carob instead of cocoa? Cocoa has lots of nutrients in it (unless there's a chocolate allergy, which would be really sad.)

Beets are delicious when hidden in chocolate. The best chocolate cake I ever ate had a whole can of beets pureed into it, and I never tasted it. The hostess didn't tell anyone until all the cake had been devoured!

If you're going to make banana muffins, you might as well go the whole way and throw in a handful of cocoa or carob nibs. They make a nice accent against the banana.

Yup cocoa allergy 😧. Very sad indeed. B'H Hashem created so many amazing substitutes! (I actually never tried carob in a cookie/cake yet)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 11:29 pm
2GN wrote:
Yup cocoa allergy 😧. Very sad indeed. B'H Hashem created so many amazing substitutes! (I actually never tried carob in a cookie/cake yet)

Oh no! Crying I'm not a fan of carob, but I hear that carob nibs are a very convincing substitute. I've also heard that carob powder can be used measure for measure in place of cocoa powder. Just make sure you sift it well with the flour. I'll bet it's nice with a small dash of cinnamon, and a drop of vanilla extract.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins