Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How you make your sensitive child more comfortable

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 9:29 am
One of my children seems to be sensitive to some noises. It was always a struggle to cut his hair. He would squirm, cringe, and cry. He used to get it done with a shaver, but then we decided to have it done with a scissors instead. It worked a little better, but the haircut took too long and then he would get antsy. Now, he gets it done with a shaver with earbuds in his hair while listening to music. I did for a time go somewhere that specializes in kids and they have a movie on, but it wasn't close by and more expensive. I don't cut hair.

Anything that you do to make your sensitive child more comfortable?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Feb 07 2017, 10:00 am
I have a child with a serious aversion to certain foods and their cooking smells especially in the morning. This makes breakfast REALLY difficult, because I don't feel it is fair to ban these foods from the house.
Sometimes I put a pan with water and cinammon in the oven on low before the other kids eat the dreaded foods (as long as said kid isn't in the kitchen, he is non the wiser). I must never ever burn the eggs!

Another thing I do is preempt the sensitivity by immediately giving him some refreshing fruit juice, this somehow makes him less sensitive (though he still can't be present in the kitchen while I'm cooking).

However, this morning was a difficult one, with much yelling on his part because someone ate something he doesn't like. Mornings can be quite draining.

I'm thinking of looking into Bach flower remedies, if anyone has any ideas what might work for this....

Super Mom

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 1:32 am
It's a sensory issue. Take him for an evaluation and get a few therapy sessions. It's not hard to solve if you do early intervention.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 11:14 am
My daughter is also very sensitive to noise. I taught her that she can put her fingers in her ear - the sense of control helps.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:14 am
amother wrote:
One of my children seems to be sensitive to some noises. It was always a struggle to cut his hair. He would squirm, cringe, and cry. He used to get it done with a shaver, but then we decided to have it done with a scissors instead. It worked a little better, but the haircut took too long and then he would get antsy. Now, he gets it done with a shaver with earbuds in his hair while listening to music. I did for a time go somewhere that specializes in kids and they have a movie on, but it wasn't close by and more expensive. I don't cut hair.

I have another one, but this is another child and this was smell. He doesn't actually have a sensitivity, but it is something he was sensitive about. We were going on a trip in the car and he didn't want to go because he said it smells. I asked him what smells does he like and he said a certain candy. I got him the candy to smell in the car and he didn't eat it until we got to our destination Smile .
Super Mom wrote:
It's a sensory issue. Take him for an evaluation and get a few therapy sessions. It's not hard to solve if you do early intervention.

Not necessary. I believe he's sensitive to sounds because of his eyesight.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 6:21 am
Super Mom wrote:

Yes to sensory and doing treatment. A big NO to it being "not hard to solve if you do early intervention." It can still be hard.

We do haircuts with a buzzer while watching a video with earbuds or outside on a swing. It's fine to do it in five or even two minute blocks if that is what's tolerable, with large breaks in between. Same with nail-cutting- it can take a full day to cut all fingernails.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:22 am
Super Mom wrote:

A few of my kids had this issue. They couldn't handle haircuts either.

Don't mean to be discouraging, but they all had intensive sensory therapy (over many years and two of them started pretty much at birth) and they still couldn't handle haircuts.

Two solutions we have found over the years:

1. Put the machine or a v*brator against the child's head for a minute or two. It sort of "numbs" the area and they don't feel the haircut as much. This really worked.

2. Use a professional barber. One of my kids said that this was much easier because the barber is much faster, probably has a better, sharper machine, and - I think the real reason - the barber had a video on while he was working. (I guess you can do this at home too).

Eventually, they outgrow this sensitivity, but it's hard while it lasts!

ETA: I wrote v*brator and this site turned it into personal massager which is NOT WHAT I MEANT AT ALL! This is a common solution to sensory issues, and there are no connotations whatsoever!! Aargh!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 8:52 am
Where are you located? In Brooklyn I can recommend a hair dresser that does a great job with the scissors even with the kid squirming. And she's super calm and soothing for the kids.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 11:06 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
A few of my kids had this issue. They couldn't handle haircuts either.

Don't mean to be discouraging, but they all had intensive sensory therapy (over many years and two of them started pretty much at birth) and they still couldn't handle haircuts.

Eventually, they outgrow this sensitivity, but it's hard while it lasts!

Not everyone outgrows it. As they mature, they can be taught ways to offset it and to accommodate it when possible, and decide when they are motivated enough to push through.

My teenage and young adults dc have learned how to distract themselves during haircuts, and what time of the day to schedule them for. College age ds has chosen college classes based on avoiding a professor whose voice he knows grates on him too much, and will choose his seat based on location to the door, or heater, etc. But when it's time for a doctors appointment, it's still hard for him not to pull away if the doctor feels his neck, for example. It can take several tries, and only gets accomplished out of his sheer will.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics