Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The media and it's discrepancies
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:42 am
http://thefederalist.com/2017/.....-won/

I actually don't care that much about this, this country has bigger problems to deal with.

Just sharing for anyone who is interested. It's always good to see different perspectives on a situation.

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Feb 08 2017, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 9:19 am
For the most part these examples show how the media exaggerated/made stuff up to make Trump look bad. On the flip side you have Trump himself as the king of fake news. Literally almost everyday Trump cites something that is completely unfounded and entirely made up. I think the his most recent giberish was stating the the murder rate in the U.S. was at a 45 year high. What??? The amazing thing to me is that it's one thing to lie if he can somehow think nobody will notice. But obviously he was called out on this in about 30 seconds. Some of my other favorites are his completely unfounded claim that Hillary won the popular vote because several million illegals voted for her, and my all time favorite is that Ted Cruz dad was involved in the Kennedy assassination.

The point is that if we are gonna talk about fake news, we have to acknowledge that it goes both ways.

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
For the most part these examples show how the media exaggerated/made stuff up to make Trump look bad. On the flip side you have Trump himself as the king of fake news. Literally almost everyday Trump cites something that is completely unfounded and entirely made up. I think the his most recent giberish was stating the the murder rate in the U.S. was at a 45 year high. What??? The amazing thing to me is that it's one thing to lie if he can somehow think nobody will notice. But obviously he was called out on this in about 30 seconds. Some of my other favorites are his completely unfounded claim that Hillary won the popular vote because several million illegals voted for her, and my all time favorite is that Ted Cruz dad was involved in the Kennedy assassination.

The point is that if we are gonna talk about fake news, we have to acknowledge that it goes both ways.

The problem is that even if he is called out on his daily lies thirty seconds after he utters them, he has convinced millions of people that he is the only one to be trusted, and those millions of people take his words at face value, as absolute truth, and when presented with the real facts they will just start bashing the lying media and remain convinced that only Trump speaks the truth.

I can't believe we are living this.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:40 am
amother wrote:

http://www.economist.com/news/.....stest
Homicide
America's murder rate is rising at its fastest pace since the early 1970s
An analysis of 50 cities by The Economist
Feb 4th 2017

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21716056-analysis-50-cities-economist-americas-murder-rate-rising-its-fastest
Homicide
Feb 4th 2017

http://www.politifact.com/trut.....ears/

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:43 am
amother wrote:

Impossible to ever know, right? Unless we actually require voters to carry proper ID. Which was his point.

People are free to disagree with him, but the dumbing down prevents any possible discussion of real issues.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/feb/08/donald-trump/donald-trump-wrong-murder-rate-highest-47-years/

So he should have said, the murder RATE is the highest it's been in 47 years, instead of saying overall murders are the highest.

Eh. People call that parsing his words, but his point still stands.

This was not an insane, ludicrous thing to say.

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 12:09 pm
The whole situation flummoxes me.

I am completely confused why the left is so eager to re-elect Trump after a few weeks in office. I mean, I voted for him, but I'm not that enthusiastic. Yet that's precisely the effect of the hysteria -- it turns tepid, skeptical voters into actual supporters.

When I read that confirmation of Betsy DeVos is "declaring war on children," I think, "Well, she may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but she won't be the first." And then I think, "Wait a minute, 'War on Children'? Since when does the DoEd have all that much to do with children? That's mostly done at the state level." So while I think there are plenty of good reasons Betsy DeVos wasn't the best choice, the whole "War on Children" rhetoric is just makes me roll my eyes.

And the women's march against . . . something . . . or for something? With an organizer who tweeted that she wanted to "take away the private part" of an actual FGM survivor? Seriously? I thought the hat thing was kind of a cute way to make a point, but these people were so tone-deaf that they actually think that taunting a FGM survivor about removing her female body parts is less objectionable than simply "grabbing" them?

The left promised us right-wing death squads! They promised minorities would be rounded up and interned! White supremacists and Nazis were going to run amok! Violence would be unleashed against the disenfranchised!

Well, so far, the only people evoking death squad imagery are BAMN and their fellow travellers. Rachel Maddow hasn't been sent to a "camp" yet. The primary people running amok are doing so in that bastion of hard-right ideology, Berkeley. Violence is being unleashed here and there, though primarily against people who don't identify with the left.

In fact, I learned that it's okay in Seattle to shoot someone whom you suspect of being a white supremacist, pocket your weapon, and go on home. However, a prominent NY Republican reported recently that his Asian-American wife has been told recently by two separate scuzzy-looking people in Manhattan to "go back to your own country." The shooting victim is still hospitalized; it wasn't reported whether the Republican wife had to be hospitalized.

As for his over-the-top tweets, well, I find it more palatable than Obama hiding from the press -- the old newsroom denizens complained that Nixon was open and accessible by comparison.

Seriously, though, it does worry me. What if Trump turns out to be a terrible president? We need sane, reasoned responses to his policy, not people who, in Ben Shapiro's words, "have lost their ever-loving minds."

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 12:18 pm
Move them feet
Move them ever-loving feet
To easy street!

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 2:48 pm
Oh, and one more thing: what is it about bad ideas that makes them so contagious? Exactly who sat in on the meeting where Republicans said, "Defund UC Berkeley! And, hey, let's muzzle Elizabeth Warren while we're at it!"? Rolling Eyes

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:
Impossible to ever know, right? Unless we actually require voters to carry proper ID. Which was his point.

People are free to disagree with him, but the dumbing down prevents any possible discussion of real issues.

Its not impossible to know. But there's no evidence of any voter fraud, or at least of any favoring Clinton.

But if you truly believe that there was massive voter fraud, why are you not protesting the inauguration of Trump. I mean, if there were millions of illegal votes cast, we have no way of knowing who actually won the election.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:18 pm
Fox wrote:
T
The left promised us right-wing death squads! They promised minorities would be rounded up and interned! White supremacists and Nazis were going to run amok! Violence would be unleashed against the disenfranchised!

Wow. I missed that.

Can you cite a mainstream left-wing source that "promised" that minorities would be rounded up and interned within the first month of Trump's presidency.

Meanwhile, I'll take the 3 waves of bomb threats against JCCs as evidence of white supremacists starting to run amok.

Of course, I'm still waiting for the death panels, gun confiscation, institution of Sharia law, and who knows what else that the right promised us under Obama.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21716056-analysis-50-cities-economist-americas-murder-rate-rising-its-fastest
Homicide
Feb 4th 2017

The one-year murder rate rose in 2015 for the first time since the 90s, but remains near the 45-year low.

The 2016 numbers aren't in yet.

Paint it however you want. Trump is just plain wrong. Oh, I'm sorry. He's spouting "alternative facts." Or maybe the death rate is just high because of the Bowling Green Massacre, and all those other unreported terrorist attacks.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:26 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Its not impossible to know. But there's no evidence of any voter fraud, or at least of any favoring Clinton.

But if you truly believe that there was massive voter fraud, why are you not protesting the inauguration of Trump. I mean, if there were millions of illegal votes cast, we have no way of knowing who actually won the election.

This is incorrect, but I don't think having a Battle of Citations will ultimately persuade either of us.

What has certainly been documented, is that dozens of counties had a voter turnout of MORE than 100% the population for that county. Rolling Eyes

As for the second point, that's just silly. Those who steal identities, who are not legal citizens, who vote multiple times in various counties, are not voting Republican.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:32 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Wow. I missed that.

Can you cite a mainstream left-wing source that "promised" that minorities would be rounded up and interned within the first month of Trump's presidency.

Meanwhile, I'll take the 3 waves of bomb threats against JCCs as evidence of white supremacists starting to run amok.

Of course, I'm still waiting for the death panels, gun confiscation, institution of Sharia law, and who knows what else that the right promised us under Obama.

This is a straw man. Death panels--yes people in hospitals who are "near death" can lose their medical care. The Agudah has stepped up to the plate to assist with this. Gun confiscation--nothing happened because Congress was deadlocked. Sharia law--the Middle East is ablaze, and radical Islam has become a worldwide threat thanks directly to Obama's policies. And we now have a nuclear Iran, bragging yesterday that their missiles can reach Tel Aviv in 7 minutes.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:33 pm
Fox wrote:
...And, hey, let's muzzle Elizabeth Warren while we're at it!"? Rolling Eyes

Your wish has been granted. But it was nice for them to let Senator Merkley read the King letter about Sessions.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic......html

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
This is incorrect, but I don't think having a Battle of Citations will ultimately persuade either of us.

What has certainly been documented, is that dozens of counties had a voter turnout of MORE than 100% the population for that county. Rolling Eyes

As for the second point, that's just silly. Those who steal identities, who are not legal citizens, who vote multiple times in various counties, are not voting Republican.

Well, I didn't find any articles other than this -- a county with more than 100% turnout, technically, voting for Trump

http://www.foxnews.com/politic......html

Investigation shows next to no voter fraud

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/1......html

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-.....voter

http://www.politifact.com/trut.....2016/

Oh, I'm sorry. You didn't want to argue facts.

I'm not sure why Trump cares, except that he's a narcissist who needs to be top and best and biggest at everything. But he can't have it both ways. If there was widespread fraud that impacted the election results, we need a new election. And if not, he needs to shut up.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:38 pm
Fox wrote:
The whole situation flummoxes me.

I am completely confused why the left is so eager to re-elect Trump after a few weeks in office. I mean, I voted for him, but I'm not that enthusiastic. Yet that's precisely the effect of the hysteria -- it turns tepid, skeptical voters into actual supporters.

When I read that confirmation of Betsy DeVos is "declaring war on children," I think, "Well, she may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but she won't be the first." And then I think, "Wait a minute, 'War on Children'? Since when does the DoEd have all that much to do with children? That's mostly done at the state level." So while I think there are plenty of good reasons Betsy DeVos wasn't the best choice, the whole "War on Children" rhetoric is just makes me roll my eyes.

And the women's march against . . . something . . . or for something? With an organizer who tweeted that she wanted to "take away the private part" of an actual FGM survivor? Seriously? I thought the hat thing was kind of a cute way to make a point, but these people were so tone-deaf that they actually think that taunting a FGM survivor about removing her female body parts is less objectionable than simply "grabbing" them?

Well, so far, the only people evoking death squad imagery are BAMN and their fellow travellers. Rachel Maddow hasn't been sent to a "camp" yet. The primary people running amok are doing so in that bastion of hard-right ideology, Berkeley. Violence is being unleashed here and there, though primarily against people who don't identify with the left.

In fact, I learned that it's okay in Seattle to shoot someone whom you suspect of being a white supremacist, pocket your weapon, and go on home. However, a prominent NY Republican reported recently that his Asian-American wife has been told recently by two separate scuzzy-looking people in Manhattan to "go back to your own country." The shooting victim is still hospitalized; it wasn't reported whether the Republican wife had to be hospitalized.

As for his over-the-top tweets, well, I find it more palatable than Obama hiding from the press -- the old newsroom denizens complained that Nixon was open and accessible by comparison.

Seriously, though, it does worry me. What if Trump turns out to be a terrible president? We need sane, reasoned responses to his policy, not people who, in Ben Shapiro's words, "have lost their ever-loving minds."

I wonder why you think offensiveness and hysteria on the left elects Trump while offensiveness and hysteria on the right.... also elects Trump?

I mean, if voters care that much about offensiveness would they vote for someone who brags about grabbing p--y? Or who whips crowds up into hysteria about Muslims and Mexicans and rapists? Or maybe if he kinda sorta has a point there somewhere, then his hysterical tone doesn't matter?

And we're talking about the president himself, not his surrogates who sign book deals and run radio shows and websites based exclusively on offensiveness and hysteria.

Maybe democrats should try insanity for a while. It sure works for the Republicans.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
This is a straw man. Death panels--yes people in hospitals who are "near death" can lose their medical care. The Agudah has stepped up to the plate to assist with this. Gun confiscation--nothing happened because Congress was deadlocked. Sharia law--the Middle East is ablaze, and radical Islam has become a worldwide threat thanks directly to Obama's policies. And we now have a nuclear Iran, bragging yesterday that their missiles can reach Tel Aviv in 7 minutes.

Hospitals have mortality committees, they were here long before Barak Obama became our president. Actually the first state to legitimize an actual death panels was Texas, under their then governor George Bush.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:

Well, of course. All those identity-stealing, multiple-vote-casting illegals were trying to elect Hillary. Too bad they were too stupid to cast at least some of their fraudulent votes in MI and PA where they could have been some use.

Or, I dunno, maybe some of the votes in PA and MI were stolen too. It wouldn't take 3 million of them. Under 100,000, as a matter of fact.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics