Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would this job be a problem for a Jewish woman?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 12:45 am
I have the possibility of getting a job editing children's books. Most of the books this company publishes are completely pareve, but a few are religious in nature. It's not a Jewish company. The religious books are basically about the "Bible" (some content about the "Old Testament" and some about the "New" **ahem, cough**) or about Xmas.

We need the parnassa. This job is part-time and pays well. From every other standpoint it would be great... but is it a problem for a Jewish woman to edit books that are Xtian? My name wouldn't be listed anywhere as I'd only be a copy editor.

Also, it could be that I would end up having nothing to do with the religious books, since that's only one small division of the company. If that's the case, would there be a problem simply working for a Xtian publishing company? That bothers me less... I think I would do it... but what do you all think?

Your opinions, please....

mimivan

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 1:25 am
I pasken that you should ask a Rov...and no one else! Wink

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 1:39 am
You may be right about that. In fact I think you are definitely right! But I was still hoping for people's opinions or relevant experiences so that I could decide quickly (even tonight) whether to even send my resume, because this kind of job gets snapped up VERY quickly. Then if I were offered the job, or while they were considering my resume, etc., I would have time to be in touch with a Rav.

I don't really want to bother a Rav about this on erev Rosh Hashana! But time is of the essence with responding to the job opening.

So...... opinions???? Smile

justanothermother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 2:09 am
Apply, and worry about it if they get in touch with you. Hatzlacha if you decide to move forward with this.

mimivan

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 2:35 am
amother wrote:
You may be right about that. In fact I think you are definitely right! But I was still hoping for people's opinions or relevant experiences so that I could decide quickly (even tonight) whether to even send my resume, because this kind of job gets snapped up VERY quickly. Then if I were offered the job, or while they were considering my resume, etc., I would have time to be in touch with a Rav.

I don't really want to bother a Rav about this on erev Rosh Hashana! But time is of the essence with responding to the job opening.

So...... opinions???? Smile

Oh, in that case, apply. I was in a very similar situation. I was able to work out with the client that I would not write anything of a religious nature (she had all kinds of things in Xtianity, Hinduism etc... nothing on Judaism) that way I wouldn't sound intolerant to any particular religion. They aslo had gambling articles which I would not write...She was okay about it and I traded with other writers projects...

You never know---you may be able to trade with another editor..

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 2:43 am
That's interesting and very relevant. Thanks! Very Happy

I sent off my resume... still interested in what other people think of this job. The thought occurred to me that according to halacha (don't know source) a Jew is allowed to raise pigs (obviously not for his own consumption)! Right? Would this be the same kind of thing? Confused

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 2:48 am
I know you can have a pig pet, but I don't know if you can raise pigs to sell them to non jews to eat. I had a friend who had a pig, it was too cute.

technic

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 3:22 am
this opinion is based on nothing other than my gut feeling - no its not the same as raising pigs - pple can be influenced by words and books, I think its highly unlikely theyd b influenced by pigs!!! LOL

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 4:19 am
I'm with technic - you are allowed to have benefit from pigs (though I think there is an issur to raise them in EY), but for avoda zara (idol worship) it is forbidden to have any benefit.

OTOH, who says you will have to edit such books?

If I were you, I would first wait to see if you get the job, then find out exactly what it entails (can you choose which books you work on etc) and then ask a rav.

hila

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 4:29 am
And in any job there may be things you are uncomfortable doing. (even in hi-tech) and we constantly have to evaluate where halacha ends and our job starts.

I recently (politely) refused to do something without written authourity, because I considered the act more or less illegal. Certainly not very ethical. So far I have not got that written matter, and the project stopped for now.

Behatslacha

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 6:20 am
Quote:
And in any job there may be things you are uncomfortable doing. (even in hi-tech) and we constantly have to evaluate where halacha ends and our job starts.

My husband had to quit a very high paying (350k/year + bonus) job because of something he was asked to do. He was in charge of technology for a company that made websites. One very famous fashion house wanted to put a [filth] window in the corner of hteir page. He flew to Italy to speak to the head but was unable to get them to change their mind. He had no choice but to resign.

Ima'la

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 7:27 am
Wow! Kol hakavod!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 8:07 am
shalhevet wrote:
I'm with technic - you are allowed to have benefit from pigs (though I think there is an issur to raise them in EY), but for avoda zara (idol worship) it is forbidden to have any benefit.

So the question is, is Xtianity avoda zara.... but I definitely DON'T want to start debating that here!! But if it is A.Z. then wouldn't I not be allowed to benefit from working at this company at all, since they are Xtian? And don't we benefit from Xtianity all the time? For example, many homeschoolers use curricula designed by religious Xtians (and adapt them for their purposes, obviously).

[quote]OTOH, who says you will have to edit such books?{/quote]

Right. I don't know.

Quote:
If I were you, I would first wait to see if you get the job, then find out exactly what it entails (can you choose which books you work on etc) and then ask a rav.

That sounds quite logical, and I think that is exactly what I will do. I am still interested in the discussion of this topic, though, both for this situation and future possible jobs. Also, if anyone DOES know any relevant halachos/sources, I would be interested to hear.

To the amother who gave up the 350,000 job... that is very impressive and praiseworthy. It's too bad the company wouldn't compromise!!

mimivan

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 7:02 pm
[quote="amother"]
shalhevet wrote:

So the question is, is Xtianity avoda zara.... but I definitely DON'T want to start debating that here!! But if it is A.Z. then wouldn't I not be allowed to benefit from working at this company at all, since they are Xtian? And don't we benefit from Xtianity all the time? For example, many homeschoolers use curricula designed by religious Xtians (and adapt them for their purposes, obviously).

Okay, about this you should ask a Rov!
\ Wink

mumoo

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 12:14 am
I worked in a (non-frum) synagogue where they performed conversions (toiveling and hatafas dam brissim). In the office I was expected to make copies of the certificates, lead people to the right rooms, find pens for signatures and other "abetting" jobs.

My Rov said for the job I was allowed to, but these and increasing other tasks made my day too stressful and I ultimately quit.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 12:31 am
(OP)

Interesting. I can see how doing a job that is technically permitted could still be just too stressful for a frum woman to do in good conscience.

As far as my situation, I would definitely ask a rav if/when they offer me a job.... but they haven't even responded to my letter and resume at this point. My theory is that they saw my Jewish name and saw some Jewish organizations I've worked for, and they've made my decision for me...

Now, do I sue for discrimination? Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics