Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Therapists expected to diaper students
1  2  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:32 pm
I recently began working in a Jewish preschool as a physical therapist. A child I was working with had a bowel movement in her diaper 20 minutes into the session. She then tried to put her hands in her diaper. I washed her hands and brought her back to class to be changed 3 minutes early. The teacher informed me that the school rule is if they make during your session you have to Change them.
I've worked in many settings and never been asked to diaper a child. If a preschool child needs the bathroom I will obv bring them. I am curious what others experience is.. thanks!
Anon cuz just asked my coworkers

Forrealx

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:37 pm
I would change the child myself if my contract told me to do so. When not I would say I would not to do it because it is not my proverty.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:39 pm
It's not on any contract...
I also wonder if it's legal

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:59 pm
Never heard of that.
I don't know about a school setting but that's why a parent or someone is suppose to be with the child. It's not the therapists job to be babysitter.
Would you tell dr that he needs to change the baby because he was taking care of the child then??

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:08 pm
Slightly off topic, but I wonder if the expectation to change diapers would apply equally to a male therapist?

I ask, because my brother used to work in a day care. All the other teachers, and all the kids adored him. My brother lights up like the sun when he sees a kid!

One day, a mom came by for pickup, and saw my brother changing a diaper. She flipped out, and pulled her kid out of the daycare. Then she called the other moms, and let them know that "some MAN" was changing the diapers, and that it was "unsafe".

The owner of the daycare was about to lose her business over it, so she had to let my brother go. He was heartbroken, because it was his favorite job. The owner was heartbroken too, because my brother was her most reliable worker, and he brightens up everyone he meets.

He now works in a nursing home, running the kitchen. On his breaks, he sits with the residents and chats. On his days off, he volunteers doing street outreach with the homeless. He's about as far from a molester as you could ever imagine. He LIVES to serve other people.

So, back to the original question - do they expect you to change diapers because you're a woman, and that's a "woman's job"?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:09 pm
As a PT I always brought the child back to class to be changed as you did.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:13 pm
As a therapist, I do not change diapers. I had a similar situation last year when I had child with many hours in a playgroup. It is not in my contract. I stated it the first time and was firm when they asked again another day. This child also hated getting changed so I was able to say that I don't want him associating me with diapering.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:15 pm
I am an OT and have worked with older students with toileting needs. I was never expected to change anyone. A couple times I would walk a more independent student to the bathroom and wait outside.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:17 pm
I was a therapist for a number of years. It was never my responsibility to change diapers. The teacher was totally wrong.

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:20 pm
No! no!no!Please do not put your license in jeopardy! You are not supposed to be taking care of toileting! Please protect yourself from liability!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:22 pm
Having worked as a TA in a special ed preschool we (assistants) were the ones responsible to change kids. Some licenced teachers joined the diapering rotation and some not based on her personality/ classroom situation etc. We NEVER asked or expected a therapist to do it. Her time was to work with the child. I do remember though therapists bringing back children to use the bathroom or emergency diaper change.

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
Having worked as a TA in a special ed preschool we (assistants) were the ones responsible to change kids. Some licenced teachers joined the diapering rotation and some not based on her personality/ classroom situation etc. We NEVER asked or expected a therapist to do it. Her time was to work with the child. I do remember though therapists bringing back children to use the bathroom or emergency diaper change.

It is still different for a teacher (even with a license) who works in the classroom. It is not strange if she changes diapers. For a PT to do it, I think it opens her up to liability, as this is not something a PT is supposed to be doing with a child. She should ask her agency, which I'm sure will say it is not allowed. Or just tell the school it is illegal for her to change diapers, so sorry.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:28 pm
Ew, no. You were hired to administer therapy, not change diapers.

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:39 pm
I work in a number of schools as a music teacher, and have never seen such a thing. If a toddler needs a diaper change during my sessions, I inform the teachers, who take care of it.

If I were you, OP, I'd ask the administration directly, in order to clarify. It seems pretty obvious that the agency/insurance company who pays your rate as a therapist is paying for your expertise in your field.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:43 pm
As an OT, nver did this. Therapists are not expected to change children and it is crazy they would say this. I would rather get fired than change an older childs diaper-I have never changed anyone other than my kids and a neice, the latter of which I gagged through. So no be firm and state that you do not feel this falls in to your domain.

PS I dont get why ppl need to explain why they post as amother?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 9:17 pm
Some good reasons were given why the therapist shouldn't do it. But as a child care worker, I found some of the comments condescending.

mille

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 9:30 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Slightly off topic, but I wonder if the expectation to change diapers would apply equally to a male therapist?

I ask, because my brother used to work in a day care. All the other teachers, and all the kids adored him. My brother lights up like the sun when he sees a kid!

One day, a mom came by for pickup, and saw my brother changing a diaper. She flipped out, and pulled her kid out of the daycare. Then she called the other moms, and let them know that "some MAN" was changing the diapers, and that it was "unsafe".

The owner of the daycare was about to lose her business over it, so she had to let my brother go. He was heartbroken, because it was his favorite job. The owner was heartbroken too, because my brother was her most reliable worker, and he brightens up everyone he meets.

He now works in a nursing home, running the kitchen. On his breaks, he sits with the residents and chats. On his days off, he volunteers doing street outreach with the homeless. He's about as far from a molester as you could ever imagine. He LIVES to serve other people.

So, back to the original question - do they expect you to change diapers because you're a woman, and that's a "woman's job"?

Wow, nothing to do with the OP but I'm so appalled by this story. Our daycare director is a man and he is AMAZING. In every way! He's been in my daughter's room covering at times when necessary for ratio reasons and I'd have no issue with him changing a diaper or in any other way caring for my child. He's a professional. There's nothing nefarious about him doing his job!!! I'm so sorry your brother was treated this way.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
PS I dont get why ppl need to explain why they post as amother?

Aren't you amother? I don't my profession to be known for my screenname.

nicole81

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:11 pm
Who is your employer, and shouldn't they make the policies pertaining to your therapy sessions? Why is a teacher dictating what you should be doing? If anything, it should be the administration's duty to tell you... although I would refuse if they were not my direct employer.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:32 pm
I am working in the field for many years and never heard of it. If a child has a dirty diaper or wet pants he gets brought back to the classroom to get changed. If the child is on a toileting schedule and it's very often then the therapist will usually agree to take him/her to the bathroom. But I never heard of a therapist expected to change the child.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics