Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Burning the bottom of my challahs!
1  2  Next

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:28 pm
I make really yummy challah, but the bottoms burn on about half of them. Some of my flat pans are really old so I line them with parchment paper. I noticed that the new parchment paper makes the bottom of challahs burn, but sometimes the old ones do too. I also recall burning the bottom of challahs without parchment paper. I am not leaving them in too long, that is for sure. And I rotate the pans from top to bottom shelf and back in the middle.

Any advice?

Next time I will try without any parchment paper...

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:33 pm
I use disposable pans and first spray with "non stick baking spray with flour". I doubt the parchment paper is making them burn. It sounds like your pans might not be so good. Try the spray ...my challos never burn.

shyshira

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 6:48 pm
Could also be that you oven temperature isn't what you set it for. Have you tried baking at a lower temp?

rgr

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:09 pm
Real tins keep in the heat more. Try using disposable.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:16 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I use disposable pans and first spray with "non stick baking spray with flour". I doubt the parchment paper is making them burn. It sounds like your pans might not be so good. Try the spray ...my challos never burn.

Does any grocery store carry it? Near the regular pam, etc?

Thanks!!

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:16 pm
rgr wrote:
Real tins keep in the heat more. Try using disposable.

I have both kinds and they burn on either one. But not always. It's a puzzle.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:17 pm
shyshira wrote:
Could also be that you oven temperature isn't what you set it for. Have you tried baking at a lower temp?

Worth a shot. Thanks!

PassionFruit

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:36 pm
You need new, sturdy, light colored, heavy duty pans, lined with parchment paper. (do not use non stick because it messes up the temp you need--need to subtract 25 degrees)

Get an oven thermometer, to check if it is actually what you are setting it for. If the oven is too hot, the bottoms can burn while the insides are just right.

Last edited by PassionFruit on Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:45 pm
Is the rack in your oven too low?

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:27 pm
I use baking pans with oil spread on them. 375 degrees for around 20-25 minutes. Rack in the middle of the oven. Mine don't burn on the bottom.

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:27 pm
funnyface wrote:
(do not use non stick because it messes up the temp you need--need to subtract 25 degrees)

Why is that? I've never heard this before.

ttbtbm

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:42 pm
The bottoms of my challos also burn when I use certain pans. Not sure why, the pans are fine for other baked goods. But I know not to use them for challos.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:46 am
Use cookies sheets not half pans

fiji

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 2:23 am
For me it's about what kind of pan I am using. I found with my metal trays they would burn and with disposable ones they came out perfect

cm

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 3:24 am
lucky14 wrote:
Why is that? I've never heard this before.

Baking temps are usually based on use of lighter color metal pans. Dark color pans absorb heat so the outside of your baked goods will bake more quickly. When using dark pans for baking, reduce the oven temp by 25 degrees F. There are lighter-color nonstick pans, but most are dark, so keep this in mind.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 4:58 am
lucky14 wrote:
I use baking pans with oil spread on them. 375 degrees for around 20-25 minutes. Rack in the middle of the oven. Mine don't burn on the bottom.

I make a lot at once. I want to use two racks. How can I use two racks (4 pans of challahs) without one of them being too low? I have to do 2 batches in the oven anyway...if I only used one rack, that would be 4 times!! Any thoughts?

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 4:59 am
tichellady wrote:
Use cookies sheets not half pans

Please explain what you mean. Are you suggesting like other people to use disposable?

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 4:59 am
ttbtbm wrote:
The bottoms of my challos also burn when I use certain pans. Not sure why, the pans are fine for other baked goods. But I know not to use them for challos.

So which ones work?

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 5:02 am
More info: I usually have to keep the challahs in longer than 30 min. I take them out to check and they are definately not done so I have to put them back. But the ones that are burnt on the bottom are already like that. And the ones that are fine stay fine. the burning seems to happen very early on when the challahs are still very very doughy. Any more thoughts with this additional info?

Thanks everyone!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 5:05 am
I use flat cookie sheets, stainless steel. I put four challah son each tray. 325 for 35 minutes. They always come out fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads