Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Gemachs - do they have a stigma?
1  2  Next

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:22 pm
I am wondering about the phenomenon that some people want cheap clothes etc but wouldn't want to go to a gemach. When I talk to people who run gemachs, they bemoan how they don't get enough people coming to take. They want more people to come and use/take what they have. There seems to be a reluctance. People donate there so that good things (clothes, coats, etc) can be used again and not wasted. Why don't more people want to go?
Is it shameful to be seen as frugal? Does everyone view it as taking tzedakah - because I don't think it is. What do you all think?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:30 pm
gemach = gemilut hasadim. People donate because its an act of loving kindness. If I want something, I may prefer not to take something that as given in that mind set. The person who gave it, did not have me in mind, or atleast I tell myself that.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:47 pm
I just assumed that people are flocking to gemachs. It seems like every frum second hand shop or place to borrow or rent something is called a gemach. If you were talking about interest free loans, I'd agree.

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:48 pm
When it comes to used clothing, I feel there should be no shame. People are happy to declutter their homes, but don't want their clothing to go to waste. One issue might be- what condition are the clothes. Clothing that looks worn out can be a turnoff. Of course there are a those with more exacting who want to o buy brand new clothing.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 7:57 pm
I don't have money for a whole spring wardrobe for my dc so I tried a gemach. After the first time I didnt want to return. Here is what I found. Musty clothes that smelled, faded worn out clothes. and so outdated my dc would be made fun of foe wearing it. clothes. I know beggers can't be choosy, but I have good taste even though I can't afford the clothes in the local clothing boutique. I try to find clothes during sales season in departmentstores and buy it big so I have more use out of it a $10 pair of pants last two years. if I make it tight on top and roll up the leg on the bottom. Its hard when "everyone" has a pompom hat and dc say they also need one and the when I go to the gemach. It only has hats in bright colors or trimed with leather from two years ago and dd says thats not the kind they are wearing she likes pompoms too so right now she was sick three times this winter because she goes to school without a hat

nicole81

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:10 pm
I think it's hard with clothing, unless they are wardrobe staples. Fashion changes so quickly, and many people would be embarrassed to wear something out of date and would rather spend the money on new clothes and save elsewhere if they had the option.

I personally have gone to a clothing gemach once for myself and oldest daughter, and was unsuccessful, save for a vintage pair of shoes that happened to have come back into style. I was also unsuccessful at a wedding gown gemach, but that was due, in part, to my size at the time.

I have successfully used a purim costume gemach, as well as one for a maternity coat, because maternity coats are never really stylish no matter what Smile

harriet

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:17 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have money for a whole spring wardrobe for my dc so I tried a gemach. After the first time I didnt want to return. Here is what I found. Musty clothes that smelled, faded worn out clothes. and so outdated my dc would be made fun of foe wearing it. clothes. I know beggers can't be choosy, but I have good taste even though I can't afford the clothes in the local clothing boutique. I try to find clothes during sales season in departmentstores and buy it big so I have more use out of it a $10 pair of pants last two years. if I make it tight on top and roll up the leg on the bottom. Its hard when "everyone" has a pompom hat and dc say they also need one and the when I go to the gemach. It only has hats in bright colors or trimed with leather from two years ago and dd says thats not the kind they are wearing she likes pompoms too so right now she was sick three times this winter because she goes to school without a hat

Just pointing out that it's unlikely the reason your daughter was sick three times this winter is because she goes to school without a hat.

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 8:21 pm
I agree with the others. I've never been to a clothing gemach before because I just expect that the stuff will be really nerdy, out of style and/or in not the best condition.
Especially with the internet and resale shops today I feel like if something is in really nice condition people will try to get some money for it and just give away the stuff they prob. wouldn't be able to sell.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:

I took two old plain hats sitting in moms closet. Bought big pom-pom keychain for $1 a piece. Will sew on iyH and my girls will be stylish!! Sometimes all needed is to add that little chatchka or trimming(sometimes trimming is more expensive than entire dress also..)

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:03 pm
No

zigi

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:29 pm
uniform gemachs don't go out of style. I like handme downs. I guess I am not that picky style wise. I got some really nice things for my kids, but it is also more direct like from a neighbor etc I pass on what I have also. maybe people think that there might be people who can use it more. so if they can afford it they would rather buy. I do like shopping and bargains.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 11:20 pm
My guess is that people are uncomfortable thinking that their neighbors might recognize the clothes.

I donate stuff that is still fashionable and in good condition.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:17 am
I think it's a function of the name- gemach means you are relying on charity. (Except for gown gemachs- those are usually a business. Also, nobody wants to spend that much money on a gown.)

I don't think people have a problem shopping at second-hand stores. Or shul bazaars.

My grandmother loves going to shul bazaars. She lives near a very wealthy neighborhood, and every year the shul bazaar is packed with barely worn designer clothing, for $10-20. She purposefully volunteers at the bazaar because volunteers get first picks.

She once bought me these gorgeous silk scarves from Italy-$5 each.
She also got my cousin her bas mitzvah dress, and my aunt the dress that she wore to the party.

Could also be because a gemach will take everything, even if it's gross. A gemach that is a business, not a chessed, won't.

(anon bc I tell this story IRL)

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:27 am
In my opinion, it's like a chessed machine!
1- You have a place to give all the clothing cluttering up your house.
2- the workers throw out all the clothing that is not wearable. (Ripped, stained, faded, etc) Since many people have a hard time putting clothing in the garbage.
3- you can buy clothing for next to nothing
4- The proprietor gets a parnosa or the organization gets funding to use towards other chessed projects.

Win-win in every direction!
Sometimes it is not run well and the workers just leave the clothing in cardboard boxes. They don't go through it at all and don't keep it neat and respectable. This is not a chessed. This is degrading if poor people are being sent there.
A good clothing gemach will invest in some nice racks and bins and find a comfortable location. They will spend hours outside the open hours making sure it runs smoothly.

ora_43

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 1:37 am
For one thing, yes, I'd see it as tzedaka. For another, everything previous posters said.

Maybe the people you've been talking to need to rebrand, rethink their methods, or branch out in new directions.

Rebrand - market it as a second hand store, with profits going to charity.

Rethink - are they putting out clothes that are torn, stained, or extremely out of fashion?

Branch out - Clothing is BH relatively cheap, and IME very easy to get second hand. There may just not be much of a need for clothing gemachs. A clothing gemach is easy to open - see: ease of getting second hand clothing - but maybe the "market" is already saturated.

IME there's a lot more demand for gemachs that either: 1. loan out things that are a. expensive b. not frequently needed c. portable, or 2. offer things that are absolutely necessary and easy to run out of (diapers, medicines, etc).

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 5:39 am
I consider it as taking from tzedaka. Not as being frugal. Exception may be gmachim where you actually pay something not symbolic but a real price, albeit cheap.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 6:18 am
amother wrote:
I just assumed that people are flocking to gemachs. It seems like every frum second hand shop or place to borrow or rent something is called a gemach. If you were talking about interest free loans, I'd agree.

People have no problem going to simcha gemachs but yes, every day clothes? They won't go.
And there are clothes gemachs like OP's that are fairly up-to-date and in clean premises, nicely set-up. I've heard kids say they wouldn't go because they're concerned people will recognize the clothes they've bought.

Personally, I have no issues with it.

Simple1

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 6:23 am
lucky14 wrote:
I agree with the others. I've never been to a clothing gemach before because I just expect that the stuff will be really nerdy, out of style and/or in not the best condition.
Especially with the internet and resale shops today I feel like if something is in really nice condition people will try to get some money for it and just give away the stuff they prob. wouldn't be able to sell.

I assumed most people would rather give away than bother with the hassle of selling. At least that's how it is for me. Even good clothing, how much can you get for it. It's an easy way to do a chesed .

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 9:57 am
I also think of it like taking tzedakah. The stigma (if there is one) is not what concerns me, rather I feel like I have to be really sure I can't afford clothing before I take from a gemach, or else it's not right. For example, if I can technically afford to buy my girls uniforms, even thought it's a stretch, how can I take from the gemach when there are others who really can't afford to buy? There are also some gemachs that give out shoes and Shabbos outfits to families that can't afford to buy, and I feel the same way about such gemachs. I guess it's different if it's a gemach that takes any sort of second hand clothing and just wants to pass it along to anyone who can use it, regardless of financial need. But my guess is that those gemachs have lots of worn out or outdated clothing.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 2:37 pm
Puce, I totally hear you about taking from tzedaka. OTOH, if all sorts of people patronize gemachs, it takes away from the perceived stigma for those who really need it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics