Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
See-through tichels; heavy tichels-- help!
1  2  Next

L K

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 10:55 pm
I need to restock my tichels starting almost from scratch, as mine are rather old and mostly not very usable.

I've ordered a few lovely tichels, scrunchie for buns and a velvet band (never had one before, and oh is it incredible how everything stays out the whole day!!!!!).

Now my questions are:
- I tried a few pashminas. They're gorgeous and super easy to tie.
Problem: I feel they're heavyish for me and bother my head. I don't wear any heavy stuff underneath like volumizers, just a scrunchie and a velvet band.

- some scarves are light-weight but If you have hair it pokes through it because scarf isn't thick. It happens even if it's dark and rather tight-woven (I.e. Not an Israeli tichel or a mesh one). This happens with viscose ones I think,and with silk ones.
Is the only solution to wear a "volume-less" volumizer underneath, line a cotton cap or smth. Or you're doomed to wearing 2 lightweight scarves always?

For lightweight ones I'm also concerned they may really be see tthorugh. Obviously, I can't see he top of my head and need to try on someone else. But what concerns me is that they're not fully opaque if you drape them over your hand, or another scarf- then you really can see what's under the scarf.

Plz help! I've always worn tichels but want to upgrade to something comfortable and not torture-tight and headache-inducing stuff.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 11:15 pm
For lightweight, yes you need either a coton cap or another scarf underneath if you really want to make sure all the hair is covered and not visible Sad

Some pashminas are heavier than others, I've found that I have ones of different weights. The rainbow signature ones from Wrapunzel (I have it from Amazon for cheaper, same one though) I found is much lighter weight than ones in their "Cranberry" line (which I also got elsewhere for cheap). I don't really like wearing the thicker ones, but I wear the rainbow one pretty often these days (fold it in different ways and show different colors Smile )

L K

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 11:20 pm
I got the "lakeshore bliss" and a solid one from Wrapunzel. If you're familiar with these two, how do they compare to "cranberry" and rainbow in terms of weight?

Ps I need to figure out which ones I'm really comfortable with, cause I've found tons of gorgeous scarves but am scared to order and be unable to wear them. There are so many stunning pashminas and thin ombré ones, and light solids, and even metallic ones are stunning.

L K

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 11:34 pm
Btw, by lightweight I mean the crinkled solid ones that don't look see through unless you drape them over smth ( not only sheer polyester type.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 08 2017, 11:59 pm
I can't remember if I have a lakeshore bliss one but solid is more like Cranberry I think.

So depending on how stretched out those ones are (2-in-1?) they may be ok, it also might depend on color. I personally feel like I look bald in1 very lightweight one with nothing else, so I don't really wear them.

Wearing my Chinese purchase of a Shinylicious today and that is lightweight and I don't think see through, but I always wear a volumizer to keep my hair in and the tichel on and give me some shape.

PassionFruit

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 7:27 am
I wear a cheneeil snood pushed back a few inches past my hair line under all my tichels. Mine are very stretched out and I don't feel them at all. (there will be a line where it starts, which I cover by doing a second wrap on top of that area--I think they call it a crown)

jewwoman

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 7:45 am
L K wrote:
I need to restock my tichels starting almost from scratch, as mine are rather old and mostly not very usable.

I've ordered a few lovely tichels, scrunchie for buns and a velvet band (never had one before, and oh is it incredible how everything stays out the whole day!!!!!).

Now my questions are:
- I tried a few pashminas. They're gorgeous and super easy to tie.
Problem: I feel they're heavyish for me and bother my head. I don't wear any heavy stuff underneath like volumizers, just a scrunchie and a velvet band.

- some scarves are light-weight but If you have hair it pokes through it because scarf isn't thick. It happens even if it's dark and rather tight-woven (I.e. Not an Israeli tichel or a mesh one). This happens with viscose ones I think,and with silk ones.
Is the only solution to wear a "volume-less" volumizer underneath, line a cotton cap or smth. Or you're doomed to wearing 2 lightweight scarves always?

For lightweight ones I'm also concerned they may really be see tthorugh. Obviously, I can't see he top of my head and need to try on someone else. But what concerns me is that they're not fully opaque if you drape them over your hand, or another scarf- then you really can see what's under the scarf.

Plz help! I've always worn tichels but want to upgrade to something comfortable and not torture-tight and headache-inducing stuff.

I used to only wear pre tied bandanas. Then they looked so ugly on me so I changed to scarves. I buy a square scarf fold it into a triangle and tie it like a bandana. You can either wear it with the 2 long ends hanging down or wrap them around your hair. I put my hair in a bun and put on the scarf. The easiest lightest most comfortable thing to wear. They also look so pretty. You can get thin or thicker material...plus they dont slip too much. If you find they slip then u can use a velvet band and they'll stay put all day.
If you live in Israel there is a shop in Jerusalem on King George St called Bandana. They stock every possible hair covering and very good prices.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 8:04 am
Seriously, try a volumizer. Game changer. It helps with the weight distribution. It makes a huge difference.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 8:13 am
L K wrote:
I got the "lakeshore bliss" and a solid one from Wrapunzel. If you're familiar with these two, how do they compare to "cranberry" and rainbow in terms of weight?

Ps I need to figure out which ones I'm really comfortable with, cause I've found tons of gorgeous scarves but am scared to order and be unable to wear them. There are so many stunning pashminas and thin ombré ones, and light solids, and even metallic ones are stunning.

Cranberry is much thicker and heavier. Lakeshore bliss is thinner and lighter and has stretch.

cm

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 8:19 am
I'm not sure what a volumizer is, but wearing a small, plain cotton snood underneath made all the difference for me. Both hair and scarf stay in place, nothing shows through, and the overall arrangement is streamlined and simple.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 8:40 am
cm wrote:
I'm not sure what a volumizer is, but wearing a small, plain cotton snood underneath made all the difference for me. Both hair and scarf stay in place, nothing shows through, and the overall arrangement is streamlined and simple.

Go to the wrapunzel website and look at shapers. All of the pics on their site of people wearing tichels have volumizers on. And most have a nonslip band attached so nothing budges and hair stays fully tucked away all day. It allows you to wear more interesting wrap styles.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 10:01 am
watergirl wrote:
Cranberry is much thicker and heavier. Lakeshore bliss is thinner and lighter and has stretch.

I wore lakeshore bliss with a velvet band and a scrunchie, even that felt heavy.
I always used to wear mostly plain cotton tichels but they need to be replaced anyway, so while I'm looking I may as well get the right stuff.

Does pashminas weight not bother you?

L K

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 10:05 am
watergirl wrote:
Seriously, try a volumizer. Game changer. It helps with the weight distribution. It makes a huge difference.

I have a decent bun just with hair and a velvet scrunchie. I don't go for huge volume as I'm petite and on a smaller side though not scrawny, so large tichel arrangements make my head look disproportionately big.

I was surprised though that with the velvet band and scrunchie underneath, tichels that are bigger than what I'm used to look stunning.
I tried a lakeshore pashmina, a plain pashmina with a 2-in-1 on top, and a pashmina with a shimmery. Much bigger than a plain tichel but seriously gorgeous.

I imagine even a smaller volumizer adds volume, and more importantly bulk and weight, or do you find that it just shapes it differently?

Was thinking to try their Wendy where stuffing can be removed.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 10:14 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I can't remember if I have a lakeshore bliss one but solid is more like Cranberry I think.

So depending on how stretched out those ones are (2-in-1?) they may be ok, it also might depend on color. I personally feel like I look bald in1 very lightweight one with nothing else, so I don't really wear them.

2-in-1 I feel my hear pokes through- you know what I mean?. I have to see if it looks partially see through, will try on my dd. I just draped them over my hand or another tichel and I can def see through somewhat. It just got me wondering if it's even sufficient covering halaxhically, without another layer. Or maybe it's my OCD lol (I don't really have one)

Elisheva

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 11:18 am
I really recommend the Wrapunzel Signature shaper . It's very lightweight, and includes the velvet headband in it so you only have to put on the one piece. It's not much heavier than the velvet scrunchie (I actually find wearing the scrunchie and headband is more uncomfortable because the weight is unevenly distributed, and the scrunchie pulls downward.) It's worth finding a good shaper because then there would be a lot of lightweight scarves you can wear with it and not worry about them being see-through (shimmery, 2-in-1's, new york brights.) Good luck!

L K

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:19 pm
Elisheva wrote:
I really recommend the Wrapunzel Signature shaper .

Thank you for your suggestion, I was considering trying it. It was out of stock but is actually available now.

Would you recommend it over their Wendy shaper?

What color do you think is more universal, black or white?

If you wear pashminas, do you wear them straight or with a shaper, and do you find them heavy?

Thanks again!

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:37 pm
L K wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion, I was considering trying it. It was out of stock but is actually available now.

If you wear pashminas, do you wear them straight or with a shaper, and do you find them heavy?

Thanks again!

Both are good. Im wearing a wendy now. But if its your first shaper, dont get it. It takes time to get to lool right and can be frustrating. Black is the best color.

The shaper is very key because it actually redistributes the weight of the scarf on your head and makes it waay more wearable. Honestly.

Btw I prefer their ultimate shaper over the signature.

Elisheva

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 12:47 pm
L K wrote:

Thanks again!

I have not tried the Wendy, but I have tried the Classic and find it very comfortable too, though the pouf is slightly bigger than the signature.

I wear mostly dark tichels so for sure the black is better for me, though if you wear pastels a lot maybe white would be good for you.

When I tie the pashminas with tails hanging (versus wrapping it all up), I am fine wearing one the whole day. I only wear pashminas with a shaper. Without the support from the shaper it would pull downward.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 6:46 pm
My favorite shaper is from Wendy before she sold to Wrapunzel. I tried her beret version, the one Wrapunzel calls the Wendy when she first came out with them (bought from her privately) and don't like it, at least my version was not adjustable in the band. Too large for my head. The signature is what I am wearing today with at thinner tichel, and the ultimate is what I wear with pashminas when I have more fabric to wrap around. The original Wendy one that I bought from her on Etsy when she used to sell on there is in between the 2 sizes and perfect. I'm thinking of sending it to her to replicate and make an additional one for me.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 8:17 pm
Elisheva, I guess I should try t wear pashminas with a shaper, maybe it's not going to weigh so much on my head. It would be great,as I like their look and few a lot.

Hashemyaazor, you are making a good point about Wendy size. I was wondering what size they're making it, since it's not adjustable. Will send them the question. If you wear their headbands, what size are you comfortable with?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels