Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Community for traditional/Conservative retirees?

SacN

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 4:16 am
Hi all,

I live in the mercaz area, in a mixed city in a charedi neighborhood. My parents only two kids live here, and they've decided that they'd like to retire to Israel. They didnt think life would turn out like this, but they'd prefer to be close to grandchildren than retire with their friends to Arizona. It's a tough decision.

They are visiting now, for a short time, and would like to visit one or two places.

1) They are now (midwest USA) members of both a conservative synagogue and a very modern orthodox (dati lite) shul. They are comfortable somewhere in this range, hashkafa wise. A mix is good, but they're not really shomer shabbos, but want a shul to associate with/socialize among. They are very traditional and respectful, but want space to do what they want.

2) They want other retirees (60s-70s).

3) They don't speak any Hebrew, though are willing to try. They would definitely take Ulpan, I don't know how they will do at it though. My city isnt anglo at all, and they do think it's an option for them, in a more modern community than mine.

4)They'd like to be able to see us/the grandkids often. So, not more than 45/an hour minutes to an hour from Rishon, Nes Tziona, Rechovot area.

5)Budget is about 1million sheckels for a purchase in the future, they'd want a 3 room (2 bedroom) apartment. They'd rent first, but would prefer to own once they find the right place.

I suggested Rehovot, Modiin, Mazkeret Batya. Other people have suggested Ranana, but I think it's too expensive.

Any further ideas? Contact info, shul names? Perhaps specific retirement communities/complexes for anglos?

Thank you!

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 4:26 am
As I read it, I was going to suggest Raanana. Sounds perfect for them. The Rabbi of the shul there is named Simon, I can probably get his contact onfo if you'd like.
Modiin is probably too Israeli.
How about looking in to Chashmonaim?

essie14

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 4:28 am
Modiin is FULL of Anglos. There's a lot of nice programming for Anglo retirees there and the entire range of Masorti/dati-lite/Conservative. I think it would be great for them.

SacN

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 4:29 am
Please! Contact info is perfect.
I think Ranana would be wonderful for them--I personally think they'd be happiest somewhere very anglo. They think they'd be happiest close to the grandkids. Worth looking into both.

But can you buy anything in Ranana for that budget? Or rent long term in a retirement community, perhaps?

LisaS

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 4:58 am
Modiin. Quite liberal, and a great community of anglo retirees. Clean and plenty of nature around if they enjoy that. Plus great transportation and everything a city offers. My parents live there and I see that the retiree community if vibrant, active, and pretty happy there.

I have heard from friends that people from Conservative backgrounds usually feel comfortable at this synagogue: http://www.darcheinoam.org.il/en

PM me if you want your parents to come visit while they are here - I'll put them in touch with my parents.

etky

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:54 am
Another vote for Modi'in.
We have friends there who have parents who sound exactly like yours, OP. They live about half the year in Modi'in, near their kids and the other half of the year in the States near their other kids. They LOVE it in Modi'in.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:17 am
RDR wrote:
As I read it, I was going to suggest Raanana. Sounds perfect for them. The Rabbi of the shul there is named Simon, I can probably get his contact info if you'd like.

He's flying somewhere in a couple of days so he's not available for people calling. sorry..
What you wrote as number 1 is exactly what I've heard goes on there.
I might not know Modiin well enough, but as lisas wrote, it's a city. It is one of the only cities in I srael that was built with a city in mind, and not as a yishuv that grew into a city before or after '67. So if they are city people Modiin is great. (Of course you can't compare a "city" here to cities in the USA but we all know that...)

SacN

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 3:14 pm
Thanks guys!
They are New York City people who have lived the last 25 years in the suburban Midwest. They are comfortable with apartment living, etc, but would ideally want something pretty, with parks, community, etc.
It sounds like Modiin is a top hit, any other ideas?
Is Modiin in their price range?

Any contact information is much appreciated!

SacN

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:12 am
Bumping this up.
Any more ideas or contacts?

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:51 am
Lots of good contacts and info here
http://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahpe.....diin/

SacN

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:47 am
Thanks!
I know about the nbn website contacts. I'm posting here for more personal information from people who live/know people who live in these places, or think of places I haven't thought of.

I really appreciate everyone's help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions