Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Should I host a purim seuda

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 7:46 pm
My husband is a Rosh Chabura and wants to make a seuda here for about 15 guys and their wives/kids. Prob about...WOW--30 adults and, who knows, 30 kids? It is a young crowd, so the oldest kid is probably about 6. I don't have a huge house, but I think I can make it work space wise. It's hard to know the crowd--last year was a really "light drinking" crowd, but I've definitely been at the throw up everywhere type as well. When it is a Torahdik crowd, I honestly don't mind the drunkenness, I think its pretty cute. When its not...there isn't anything more disgusting. I am not up to cooking for all these people, but I think I would be happy to host if the other wives chipped in. Am I nuts?

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 7:57 pm
I'd say why not?

I would just make sure to have cleaning help for after the party, posssubly starting mid-party.

Seas

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 8:08 pm
Drunk bnei Torah on Purim is the most beautiful spectacle to behold. The social barriers come down and the purity of their neshamos is exposed. Go for it.

smilealot

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:05 am
So much fun. I'm sure the wives would be only too pleased to chip in and then they'll feel more comfortable too.

smileyfaces

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 5:16 am
I've hosted once. The clean up is very hard.
Ask each family to bring one thing.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:06 am
Seas wrote:
Drunk bnei Torah on Purim is the most beautiful spectacle to behold.

I'd say the same thing. Only I'd be sarcastic.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:21 am
make sure you have an activity set up for the children that doesn't require so much attention
ex- lots of crayons/markers and papers (maybe print out purim coloring book pages so they have something to color in).
Gives the kids a bit of structure, doesn't matter their age, they will have something to keep them occupied (and the moms will be thankful!)

little_mage

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:21 am
I'm planning to invite people over for a potluck sudah. I should probably actually start organizing soon... I think as long as you make it clear that you need other people to bring things when you issue the invite, it's fine.

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:33 am
amother wrote:
make sure you have an activity set up for the children that doesn't require so much attention
ex- lots of crayons/markers and papers (maybe print out purim coloring book pages so they have something to color in).
Gives the kids a bit of structure, doesn't matter their age, they will have something to keep them occupied (and the moms will be thankful!)

This needs extra supervision if you don't want to find scribblings on the walls and furniture. Markers are especially not a good idea for little kids.

But you can just take out some toys if you need to.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 7:33 am
Tell dh it's fane, as long as each wife calls you to offer their help or cooking.

I like to prepare grocery bag lined buckets, strategically placed. Regardless of the crowd. Better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't make a kids program. It's more. Work for you and the kids are little. You don't have space anyway. They do enjoy the dancing.

Write out a menu and all the paper goods needed. Start doling the. Out as the offers arrive.
Decorations too if you like that.

Seas

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
I'd say the same thing. Only I'd be sarcastic.

How sad that you've never witnessed it. Perhaps you should find yourself better company.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics