Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Making Pesach for the first time - please post deals!

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 7:54 pm
Hey all, I'm excited to be making my very first Pesach this year! We are a small family but have family members living nearby and will likely be hosting several meals. I'm starting to look out for great deals on Pesach supplies ahead of time so that I (and my budget) don't get too overwhelmed when it gets close.

If anyone finds any great (or even decent Very Happy) deals online - pots and pans, utensils, food processors, mixers, etc. - please post here! I don't want to buy junk - I want it to last me for many Pesachs to come, iy"H.

Thanks in advance!

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:19 pm
Those are great! Thanks! Anyone have those pots or others from the same brand? They're going to get heavy use and I want to make sure they're good. The reviews seem to be mixed (and looks like a lot of the very positive ones are from people who received them for free).

mamaleh

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:08 pm
just saw this post on a blog I love:
T-fal set on Amazon

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:10 pm
I would not buy cheap non-stick pots. I have cheap stainless steel pots and they're OK. But non-stick is much more iffy - even if it's not cheap there are people who are concerned about health and safety, but the cheaper you get the worse it gets. They can be made out of less safe material than they claim, the coating can peel, and they generally just won't work as well for as long as regular pans would.

As for heavy use, bear in mind that as heavy as your Pesach cooking is, you're only doing it once a year for at most a week's worth of food. So that's really not very heavy. I have Pesach pots and utensils that were used by my grandmother for 40 years and look like new - not because of their outstanding quality or her careful use, but because 40 years of Pesachs is still less than a year worth of non-Pesach.

esuss

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:17 pm
I just came back from shopping trip to Costco. They have great brand name sets of pots for excellence prices. I have always been very happy with all such purchases there. I recently bought nonstick frying pans there that are excellent. They have small appliances, containers, kitchen tools , knives and lots of other good stuff. Or try target have found good stuff there also. Enjoy shopping.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:21 pm
Purchasing inferior quality pots will cost more in the long run since even though Pesach is only 8 days, I'd compare it to a month of heavy cooking. You'll end up having fun to throw out the cheap pots and replace with something sturdier. I'd go midrange with Farberware stainless pots.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:22 pm
Can I piggyback?

I've been making Pesach for -- yikes, that's a long time -- but suffered a catastrophic computer failure which took out my food list. Does anyone have a basic list to share? We're Ashkenazim, use everything, and eat all (non-legume) veggies. But I appreciate anything anyone has.

esuss

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Purchasing inferior quality pots will cost more in the long run since even though Pesach is only 8 days, I'd compare it to a month of heavy cooking. You'll end up having fun to throw out the cheap pots and replace with something sturdier. I'd go midrange with Farberware stainless pots.

What I saw in Costco was not cheap quality pots. But good quality for cheaper price than other stores.

ra_mom

This is a great price and a great set. I have 1 for all year round and 1 for Pesach.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/109.....h=sem

SixOfWands

ra_mom wrote:

If you have an Ikea near you, take a look. I got my fleishig pots there (my dairy as well, come to think of it), and they've held up really well, for a lot less than name brands like Farberware.

Buy basics, then expand it each year.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:33 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Can I piggyback?

I've been making Pesach for -- yikes, that's a long time -- but suffered a catastrophic computer failure which took out my food list. Does anyone have a basic list to share? We're Ashkenazim, use everything, and eat all (non-legume) veggies. But I appreciate anything anyone has.

This should get you started.

Paper goods: plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, napkins, paper towels, tissues, aluminum pans, tablecloths, pre-cut foil, parchment paper, long candles, candle holders, wicks, 2-3 day yartzeit candles, bedikas chometz supplies, toothpics, dish soap, sponges, steel wool, sink strainers, refrigerator liners, counter shelf table liners, tape 

Meats: roast, chicken, bones (for mains, chicken soup, cholent, zroah) 

Matza: whole, shvarim, matza meal 

Wine: grape juice and wine 

Baking: sugar, vanilla, cocoa, chocolate chips, brown sugar, ground almonds, walnut pieces (for charoses), potato starch, confectioner's sugar, baking powder or soda, cinnamon (for baking and charoses) 

Groceries: salt, spices, lemon juice, olive oil, baking oil, ketchup, mayo, sauce, coffee, pickles, quinoa 

Snacks: gum, chips, cake/cookies/crackers, chocolate 

Dairy: milk, cheese snack, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese/butter 

Refrigerator: eggs, dips, orange juice 

Freezer: frozen veggies, frozen garlic cubes 

Fish: gefilte, salmon 

Produce: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, zucchini, salad veggies, marror lettuce, dill for soup, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruits, avocadoes, parsnips, beets, kohlrabi, marror horseradish (for grinding) 

Beverages: water, apple juice, seltzer, soda, apple juice box drinks, water bottles (trips) 

Baby & Pharmacy: diapers, baby wipes, bottles/pacifiers, toothbrushes, toothpaste

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This should get you started.

Paper goods: plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, napkins, paper towels, tissues, aluminum pans, tablecloths, pre-cut foil, parchment paper, long candles, candle holders, wicks, 2-3 day yartzeit candles, bedikas chometz supplies, toothpics, dish soap, sponges, steel wool, sink strainers, refrigerator liners, counter shelf table liners, tape 

Meats: roast, chicken, bones (for mains, chicken soup, cholent, zroah) 

Matza: whole, shvarim, matza meal 

Wine: grape juice and wine 

Baking: sugar, vanilla, cocoa, chocolate chips, brown sugar, ground almonds, walnut pieces (for charoses), potato starch, confectioner's sugar, baking powder or soda, cinnamon (for baking and charoses) 

Groceries: salt, spices, lemon juice, olive oil, baking oil, ketchup, mayo, sauce, coffee, pickles, quinoa 

Snacks: gum, chips, cake/cookies/crackers, chocolate 

Dairy: milk, cheese snack, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese/butter 

Refrigerator: eggs, dips, orange juice 

Freezer: frozen veggies, frozen garlic cubes 

Fish: gefilte, salmon 

Produce: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, zucchini, salad veggies, marror lettuce, dill for soup, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruits, avocadoes, parsnips, beets, kohlrabi, marror horseradish (for grinding) 

Beverages: water, apple juice, seltzer, soda, apple juice box drinks, water bottles (trips) 

Baby & Pharmacy: diapers, baby wipes, bottles/pacifiers, toothbrushes, toothpaste

You are an angel. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:45 pm
My pleasure. It was an easy copy and paste.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:52 pm
Wow, thanks everyone! Can't wait to get moving on it!

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Feb 22 2017, 4:59 am
SixOfWands wrote:
If you have an Ikea near you, take a look. I got my fleishig pots there (my dairy as well, come to think of it), and they've held up really well, for a lot less than name brands like Farberware.

Buy basics, then expand it each year.

I was going to say the same, we have Ikea, reasonably priced and good quality.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics