Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Question for mothers of Lakewood high school girls
  Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 17  18  19  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:20 pm
sequoia wrote:
Why does anybody put up with this?...

It's crazy. I was also reading about a girls HS were the teachers were on strike for not getting paid. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:31 pm
I guess my main concern is that my DD is not exactly the greatest student, so I don't know what the principal and/or teachers have said about her. I guess I will have to just get up the courage to ask them outright.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:35 pm
BTW is the HS strike in lakewood too?

Emotional

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:35 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It's crazy. I was also reading about a girls HS were the teachers were on strike for not getting paid. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Firstly, it happened years ago if it's the story I think you're referring to. Secondly, you think that happened only in Lakewood? It has happened in Brooklyn, in Toronto... anywhere you have charedi families struggling to make ends meet and schools which, to their credit as well as detriment, are a little too nice about tuition.
I don't know what everyone gets out of all this Lakewood bashing. Those of us dealing with the craziness Lakewood has to offer, are well aware that it's crazy. If you have nothing nice or truly helpful to add, please just skip over this thread.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:41 pm
Emotional wrote:
Firstly, it happened years ago if it's the story I think you're referring to. Secondly, you think that happened only in Lakewood? It has happened in Brooklyn, in Toronto... anywhere you have charedi families struggling to make ends meet and schools which, to their credit as well as detriment, are a little too nice about tuition.
I don't know what everyone gets out of all this Lakewood bashing. Those of us dealing with the craziness Lakewood has to offer, are well aware that it's crazy. If you have nothing nice or truly helpful to add, please just skip over this thread.

Actually it was rather recent, and it was in a Jewish publication I don't usually read, not the Scoop.

Actually it's unfortunate that families have to go into crisis mode for several months out of the year. Ya have to feel for them, their lives and those of their children are put on hold.

And FWIW I have family in Lkwd, so this isn't something new for me. These poor people are so powerless to change anything.

Emotional

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:44 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Actually it was rather recent, and it was in a Jewish publication I don't usually read, not the Scoop.

Actually it's unfortunate that families have to go into crisis mode for several months out of the year. Ya have to feel for them, their lives and those of their children are put on hold.

And FWIW I have family in Lkwd, so this isn't something new for me. These poor people are so powerless to change anything.

If it's a recent story, I apologize, I didn't know about it. Someone please enlighten me.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:48 pm
[quote="Emotional"
I don't know what everyone gets out of all this Lakewood bashing. Those of us dealing with the craziness Lakewood has to offer, are well aware that it's crazy. If you have nothing nice or truly helpful to add, please just skip over this thread.[/quote]

Applause Applause Applause

sourstix

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:51 pm
why are the rabbonim ok with this? they just sit idly by and do absolutely nothing. listen I know your gonna attack me for this. but whatever they are doing is not worth much. I feel like its so not fair to everyone in this town.

its not ok for jewish frum people to go through such humiliation and subject to such a type of system. if I wanted to go to public school they would never do this to me. ok there are other types of problems there not part of this discussion but the fact is that noone has to beg me to bring my kids to be taught and yet we run to the non frum yidden and beg them to come learn torah and we literally beg them. here you dont. we have to beg our way in to be taught to be a bas yisroel which means its not a given that my children will learn in frum schools according to this thread. because if I decide to not call anyone and just wait my kids would be home. right, that what the last few posts were just saying.

im not here to make anyoen feel bad im jsut telling all of you that we are allowing this ridiculous situation and we dont even get educationf for free.

its insanity. I beleive hashem will pay back for the pain the rabbonim amd people in chinuch that allow such craziness. this isnt ahavas yisroel its against what yiddishkiet stands for! end of rant. now I woulod love for someone to send such a letter to r' malkiel kotler. he should know he has a lot of blood on his hands. to allow this craziness.

Emotional

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:00 pm
sourstix wrote:
why are the rabbonim ok with this? they just sit idly by and do absolutely nothing. listen I know your gonna attack me for this. but whatever they are doing is not worth much. I feel like its so not fair to everyone in this town.

its not ok for jewish frum people to go through such humiliation and subject to such a type of system. if I wanted to go to public school they would never do this to me. ok there are other types of problems there not part of this discussion but the fact is that noone has to beg me to bring my kids to be taught and yet we run to the non frum yidden and beg them to come learn torah and we literally beg them. here you dont. we have to beg our way in to be taught to be a bas yisroel which means its not a given that my children will learn in frum schools according to this thread. because if I decide to not call anyone and just wait my kids would be home. right, that what the last few posts were just saying.

im not here to make anyoen feel bad im jsut telling all of you that we are allowing this ridiculous situation and we dont even get educationf for free.

its insanity. I beleive hashem will pay back for the pain the rabbonim amd people in chinuch that allow such craziness. this isnt ahavas yisroel its against what yiddishkiet stands for! end of rant. now I woulod love for someone to send such a letter to r' malkiel kotler. he should know he has a lot of blood on his hands. to allow this craziness.

Please speak respectfully of our gedolim.
They are just people, they're not G-d.
For years they tried to get involved, to rectify the situation, to make everybody happy, but they were unable to solve a situation where (a) the community is just growing too fast for the schools to accommodate (b) they owe allegiance to the yeshiva, which means they have to stand behind certain standards and will not encourage a school to lower their standards.
Trust me, they sigh as hard as we do.

Emotional

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:06 pm
Emotional wrote:
(b) they owe allegiance to the yeshiva, which means they have to stand behind certain standards and will not encourage a school to lower their standards.

I just want to clarify, please don't misunderstand me! I speak as the wife of a working husband, we allow our children to watch videos, and we even (gasp!) eat cholov Stam. I'm just trying to say that the changing face of Lakewood has further complicated the school issue.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:33 pm
Emotional wrote:
If it's a recent story, I apologize, I didn't know about it. Someone please enlighten me.

Here ya go. My apologies it was in Crown Heights.
https://crownheights.info/comm.....rike/

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:38 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Here ya go.
https://crownheights.info/comm.....rike/

Beis Rivka is an elementary school in Crown Heights, not a high school in Lakewood... what relevance does this article have to this discussion?

EDIT: I see now you edited your post. Please also edit your prior post that provides misleading information.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:40 pm

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 03 2017, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Emotional

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:40 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Beis Rivka is an elementary school in Crown Heights, not a high school in Lakewood... what relevance does this article have to this discussion?

Maybe she's confusing it with Tiferes Chaya Sarah, which used to be called Bnos Rivka?
Just guessing.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:42 pm

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:44 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:

EDIT: I see now you edited your post. Please also edit your prior post that provides misleading information.

The schools with their current financial models are unsustainable. Expecting new classes to open or schools to open is like reinventing the wheel over and over again. I'm more than happy to put some time into researching just how many private Jewish schools went under in the tri state area last year. It's supposed to be cloudy on Friday, if I have time I'll gather some data and present it to you before candlelighting left coast time.

I'm not erasing my errors at your command. I'd prefer folks to see that I can err and correct myself. You of course are free to manage your own posts as you see fit.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:
I guess my main concern is that my DD is not exactly the greatest student, so I don't know what the principal and/or teachers have said about her. I guess I will have to just get up the courage to ask them outright.

I'm sorry, I know how you feel. I recently went to PTA for my dd who isn't a great student, and I was getting a little upset about the bad reports, and then two different teachers both told me to remember that she is a good girl and a nice girl and that's the main thing. They both reminded me that once she's out of school it won't matter if she's a good student, but it will always matter that she's a good, nice person. I walked out of that PTA feeling so much better about my dd.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sorry, I know how you feel. I recently went to PTA for my dd who isn't a great student, and I was getting a little upset about the bad reports, and then two different teachers both told me to remember that she is a good girl and a nice girl and that's the main thing. They both reminded me that once she's out of school it won't matter if she's a good student, but it will always matter that she's a good, nice person. I walked out of that PTA feeling so much better about my dd.

Thanks for the encouragement! School is tough for a lot of kids that are not "typical". It just that with the acceptance situation, I feel like if typical and above average kids have a hars time getting accepted, a kid with less than average performance academically/socially stands little chance. Do they have to be perfect in order to be accepted to high school?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:47 pm
Misty rose a 70 student who has the right connections will get into a top school. I think due to the fact that you know that your daughter isn't such a great student thet you should have advocated for her in the beginning because those are the kids that get skipped over and you could have maybe prevented it. You could have promoted her middos and other attributes to the teacher to promote her to high schools.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:
Misty rose a 70 student who has the right connections will get into a top school. I think due to the fact that you know that your daughter isn't such a great student thet you should have advocated for her in the beginning because those are the kids that get skipped over and you could have maybe prevented it. You could have promoted her middos and other attributes to the teacher to promote her to high schools.

It's not helpful to tell a worried, anxious mother all the "woulda-coulda-shoulda's". Tell her what she can do from this point forward.
Page 8 of 19   Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 17  18  19  Next Recent Topics