Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Question for mothers of Lakewood high school girls
  Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 17  18  19  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement! School is tough for a lot of kids that are not "typical". It just that with the acceptance situation, I feel like if typical and above average kids have a hars time getting accepted, a kid with less than average performance academically/socially stands little chance. Do they have to be perfect in order to be accepted to high school?

To give you chizuk if you look earlier in the thread the mother whose daughter did not get into school called said: . I have an amazing daughter (not bragging but being truthful) she's smart, kind, sensitive to others, middos top notch, teachers love her. Amazing amazing kid BH!
The mother whose daughter did get into schools said: We are NOBODY. No money to speak of, my husband works, we had no interesting yichus and no pull whatsoever. My daughter is a typical nice average girl.

I hope everyone gets into the right school soon!

Emotional

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:07 am
This reminds me so much of the shidduch scene. Certain attributes in shidduchim (being slender, having money, the right personality, yichus, etc) do seem to increase a person's chances of finding a Shidduch easily, however we all know heavy girls from struggling homes who are now happily married, and we also unfortunately know wealthy beauties with all the "right" things on their resume, who are older and still waiting.
When it comes to the merciless Lakewood high school system, certain things like top marks, pull, yichus, etc can smooth the way for some girls. But remember that the concept of Hashem being "mezavayg zivuggim" applies here too! Hashem doesn't create inferior products among His followers. Do the right hishtadlus, and never stop davening! It will end well, אי"ה!!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:17 am
Thanks all...
I like how people compare it to shidduchim-when I speak to people about shidduchim, nothing ever makes sense. Nobody wants to be the one to say yes, listen to new ideas or just be open minded. But in the end, most of us ended up married (for better or for worse LOL) because of (or despite) the system. So systems are systems and we gonna plod through this one too...Hashem has His plans and thats whats gonna be-so we will do our hishtadlus and then leave the rest up to Him. I am grateful for the awareness that exists nowadays that there IS a problem, and that hopefully everyone is working towards a common solution- that everyone should have a school. And of course we'll keep on praying for everyone in this situation.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:18 am
Sorry if my post came off wrong I was trying to tell Misty rose to now start to call
Your daughters teachers and principal
Get on their case now that she can get in next week.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:26 am
amother wrote:
Thanks all...
I like how people compare it to shidduchim-when I speak to people about shidduchim, nothing ever makes sense. Nobody wants to be the one to say yes, listen to new ideas or just be open minded. But in the end, most of us ended up married (for better or for worse LOL) because of (or despite) the system. So systems are systems and we gonna plod through this one too...Hashem has His plans and thats whats gonna be-so we will do our hishtadlus and then leave the rest up to Him. I am grateful for the awareness that exists nowadays that there IS a problem, and that hopefully everyone is working towards a common solution- that everyone should have a school. And of course we'll keep on praying for everyone in this situation.

Would you also please, please come back and update us? We're rooting for your wonderful daughter (and all the other wonderful daughters in Lakewood who are still waiting for placement).

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:30 am
Will try.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 3:10 pm
Anyone has any info regarding the Vaad that supposedly helps with high school girls? Are there people who can help or do I need to continue on my own? Tia

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 4:13 pm
did second round go out yet?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
did second round go out yet?

Not yet. I'm not sure what they're doing this year because it feels like it's dragging. I keep hearing different rumors.

If you haven't been in touch with anyone at the Vaad, try to see if you can right away. My daughter's school has been amazing. They've been in touch with the school we're pushing for and with the vaad. Hatzlacho!!!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
Will try.

Any updates, amother?
Several classmates of my daughter are still waiting... including the valedictorian(!!!), the G.O. president(!!!), and the assistant principal's daughter(!!!!!!). So we see that the madness doesn't discriminate.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:03 am
amother wrote:
Any updates, amother?
Several classmates of my daughter are still waiting... including the valedictorian(!!!), the G.O. president(!!!), and the assistant principal's daughter(!!!!!!). So we see that the madness doesn't discriminate.

We are still waiting... any advice?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:57 am
amother wrote:

Are you trying to get into a particular school?
Are any askanim helping you?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 10:22 am
amother wrote:

So sorry you're going through this. Please keep reminding your daughter how great she is.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 11:24 am
amother wrote:

Protekzia not working is a good thing, IMHO. Although maybe an assistant principal merely lacks enough of it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:59 pm
Thanks for your support. I hope it will work out for us.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 11:31 pm
Mistytose are you speaking to any person in particular? Who is helping you? Also is it one school in particular you want or any school?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 11:53 pm
I am speaking to the people in charge but its not such an easy situation. Only applied to 4 schools and none of them seem willing or able to accept.

benny

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 7:34 am
It's terrible! And part of the problem is I assume these 4 schools are the same 4 that the entire lakewood applied to. There were almost 1,000 8th graders all trying for the same 4 schools. It's such a shame that the building up of new high schools that ppl want to send to didn't make it in time for this year. I know ppl have tried... so sad. And it's so hard to send a teenager to a school that didn't quite make a solid stand yet. So much unknown.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 10:03 am
Yes, and every year new elementary schools have a graduating class, increasing the numbers of 8th graders that need a high school....Lakewood desperately needs more high school options that people are happy and willing to consider.

L K

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 11:21 am
What are those four most popular schools? Oros, bais Yaakov? Just want to know to avoid the crowds when it's time to apply Wink))
Page 9 of 19   Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 17  18  19  Next Recent Topics