Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I had enough of bathroom talk from my kids...

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 11:21 am
So my 5 year old is going through the stage of using bathroom related words at the top of her lungs ALL DAY LONG. At first, I calmly said, anyone who feels like they need to use bathroom words should please go into the bathroom to say them. That didn't work so I've been ignoring it for about 2 months already. But it's STILL GOING STRONG!!!

Now my 2 year old is saying it and I just CAN'T STAND IT!!!! It's driving me crazy!!!

What should I do???

gp2.0

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 11:28 am
Join in. 😉 😈

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 11:33 am
You should stop using it yourself.

One of my kids went thru that stage, and if she used a bathroom word, we had to go to the bathroom and wash her mouth out (with plain water). She got the message (and you cannot imagine how resistant a child can be to plain water, if the purpose is not for her drinking pleasure.....)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 11:46 am
גם זה יעבור

When they do that put on headphones and listen to what you would rather be hearing. If they get annoyed that you are not listening to them, tell them that you are choosing to listen to something pleasant for you. If they make it pleasant to listen to them, you have no problem taking the headphones out.

If they change, hooray! If not, it will pass, and you won't lose your mind.

#selfcare

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 12:10 pm
I would not recommend the old fashioned remedy of washing her mouth out with soap.

Is there something she really wants that you can use as a reward? Make a sticker chart and work towards the big reward with some smaller prizes on the way.

Another option is to put out 10 chocolate chips every morning. Every time she says a bathroom word you take one away and she can eat whatever is left for dessert after dinner.

Hopefully once the 5 year old stops yelling bathroom words then the 2 year old naturally drop it as well.

You may also want to talk with her teacher and find out if there's an issue in school as well and how they are handling it.

Last edited by Rutabaga on Mon, Feb 13 2017, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

gibberish

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 12:17 pm
I taught my kids to say "pretzel" instead. Suprisingly it worked! When all else fails, then just ignore... Too much attention will just encourage the behavior.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 12:27 pm
Can you buy ear plugs on a string and wear around your kneck or headphones. When the words start you can apologize - like "I love hearing you talk and hearing you say brachos so I can say amen and all the nice things you tell me - but I can't listen now to what you are saying right now." And put the earplugs in your ears and ignore.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 12:30 pm

I'm a child so this makes me giggle.

I have done the "bathroom words belong in the bathroom" thing. similar to what chayalle said but without washing the mouth.

yksraya

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 2:58 pm
When my kids use potty language, I calmly say "pls speak aidel (refined)". If it continues on, I simply ignore it without giving them attention for it. The more of an issue you'll make it into, the more an issue it'll become.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:42 pm
Try to tune it out. It's a normal passing phase and it definitely goes away by itself if ignored.

But if your kids see you tense up, and lash out at them - they will want to do it more and more.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:54 pm
Thanks for changing the title to this thread!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 5:44 pm
I don't use potty words. I use alternative words like number one or two. They won't find those words exciting to keep screaming. If my kids say a bad word I tell them once to use nicer words and totally ignore it after.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 5:55 pm
Hi, I'm op. I did not say that I use those words. She did not learn them at home. We say pee and poop and bottom, if you must know. These are things she learned from friends, neighbors, cousins,etc.

And if you read my op, I do ignore it. I never respond but it's not stopping. I don't really want to make a chart out of it, because then I'm acknowledging that it's something that I don't like and I think it's better not to confirm that to her.

Ouch. Has anyone else had this??

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:19 pm
I also have the same problem, with a 5 and 3 year old. And the baby is learning to talk, hope he doesn't pick it up just yet. I know it's normal, but it's super annoying. I did the taking them to the bathroom thing which worked for awhile, but it stopped working. And ignoring it hasn't worked either. Not sure what else to do at this point.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:21 pm
My kid is only 3 and so far doesn't do it. But from what I've seen with lots of nieces and nephews, its pretty common.
They just have to see your distain on your face ONCE. Aaaand then the song begins.

It passes. Is extremely ennoying. Just keep on ignoring it.

pizza4

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:47 am
I could have written your post op .....
Ugh it gets sooo annoying. I've also been ignoring it...

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:20 am
It doesnt always stop. I know many adults who find bathroom talk hilarious. (Mostly men) growing up we learned that bathroom talk stayed in the bathroom. It doesnt always help but start young. Good luck

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:03 pm
How come sending them to the bathroom doesn't help? I send my daughter to the bathroom, where she shouts the words for 30 seconds, runs out of steam, and we all move on with our lives.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics