Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Quickest way to make meatballs?
1  2  Next

Lizajen

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:03 pm
Is it quicker in the oven or stove? How long and what temp? Thanx .

agreer

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:07 pm
Oven cuz u can do other things meanwhile and don't have to stir.. it's foolproof (I'm the fool)

I bake mine at 350 for 18-20 min depending on size. Good luck!

Lizajen

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:09 pm
18-20 minutes?! I thought it would be more like 1-2 hours!

rednavy

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:11 pm
Lizajen wrote:

18-20 minutes is more accurate Smile . Another option is to sauté them in a large skillet with the cover on, mixing them around every few minutes.

dina125

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:14 pm
I don't have luck with oven. I think stove cooks things faster - things just get hotter on the stove. For meatballs, I'd still cook for at least 1 hour on a low flame (after it boils).

mamaleh

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:22 pm
I cook mine on the stove on a low flame (in sauce ) for 30-40 min, depending on size.

Lizajen

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:24 pm
How about larger size meatballs? Not pretty little ones? I don't want to chance them being a bit raw.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:26 pm
Cookie scoop in the sauce on the stove.
Or plastic gloves.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:30 pm
Lizajen wrote:

20 minutes in the oven if no sauce. With sauce it will take up to 2 hours to get the meat to the right internal temperature.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:32 pm
I usually bake them at 400 for 15-20 minutes in a 9x13 then I add the sauce and let them cook to my liking. I have also broiled them before. DH likes them baked because they dont sit in their own fat.

myself

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 4:51 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I usually bake them at 400 for 15-20 minutes in a 9x13 then I add the sauce and let them cook to my liking. I have also broiled them before. DH likes them baked because they dont sit in their own fat.

Don't they get a dry 'crust' when you bake them with no sauce?

agreer

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 4:58 pm
Lizajen wrote:

Yikes! No wonder you don't use the oven!

I always bake without sauce and put sauce on later.

I make golf-ball sized meatballs, which take 20 minutes.

The nice thing is you can test one, see if it's ready, and if not, bake some more.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:04 pm
Pressure cooker. In sauce. 12 minutes once it reaches pressure.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:53 pm
To me, "meatballs" and "quick" don't go together. Rolling meat into balls is by definition not quick.

Miri1

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:48 pm
I usually bake for about 20 - 25 mins and either add to the sauce, or serve plain (depending on the kid's preference).
If you make them large enough it's not hard to check the temp of the inside of a meatball, if you're worried they will be under cooked.

I'm surprised to hear you need to boil for so long, is that really to cook them through (?!!), or just to get them to the right texture?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:31 am
seeker wrote:
To me, "meatballs" and "quick" don't go together. Rolling meat into balls is by definition not quick.

I agree. Shepherds pie or any other way of tossing it all in a pan.

But why would ground meat need to cook for more than 20 minutes? Are they huge meatballs?

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:46 am
seeker wrote:

I agree as well. I make meat sauce a lot, just brown the ground beef with onions and garlic and then add jarred sauce and cook a bit more. Super easy supper. Kids are just as happy as with meatballs.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:12 am
seeker wrote:

I use a cookie scoop and don't worry about perfectly round perfection. It takes just a few minutes more.

perquacky

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:54 am
In the Instant Pot. Cook it in the sauce. It takes 5 minutes once it reaches full pressure, and they came out great. Even my husband the chef agreed that they were really good, and he can sometimes be a bit critical when I cook! Rolling Eyes

groovy1224

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 9:33 am
seeker wrote:

I agree. Once they're rolled, which is the bulk of the work, I put them in a pot of sauce on the stove and let them simmer for..I dunno..25? 30 minutes? I usually end up test tasting one (for quality assurance only Angel ) and I've never had a problem with them being raw.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics