Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
RSA for counseling

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:58 pm
How do I get my child counseling? I got an rsa but don't even know where to start looking to find someone. There's no one in the school.
I need someone tops!!!! or its not worth going, my child will be very anxious and resistant.
Brooklyn, midwood area, preferably sundays, or after school.
I don't want a clinic like omni.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 7:05 pm
Hi- may I ask how you got an RSA? I have a CPSE child who would greatly benefit from social skills/counseling but since there is no issues like OT, PT, speech I have no idea how to go about getting evaluated?

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 7:05 pm
Dr. Feige Russ
Chaim Neuhoff

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:
Hi- may I ask how you got an RSA? I have a CPSE child who would greatly benefit from social skills/counseling but since there is no issues like OT, PT, speech I have no idea how to go about getting evaluated?

Sorry, not sure if you could get just counseling. My child had seit and related services, then got approved for counseling at the turning 5 meeting.

SplitPea

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:

RSA's are just for CSE cases.

octopus

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:30 pm
yes, you can just get counseling services. But you will need a DOE evaluation (psych eval, parent meeting with a social worker). When it is just a child's behavior affecting their school work, and it's not an academic weakness, the DOE will offer counseling. In fact, the past couple of years they have been offering everyone with services counseling left and right.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:32 pm
cnc wrote:
Dr. Feige Russ
Chaim Neuhoff

Thanks, but can u give me more info? Do you have experience with either of them? What ages/areas do they specialize in? Where are they located?

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:

At CPSE age you should be able to make a case for social skills/counseling on the basis of it affecting his or her participation in class activities. OT, PT, and speech are totally beside the point; it all hinges on education - you don't get speech therapy unless it hinders education, either. But if the issue is social skills then you should be asking for speech as well, they do just as much for social skills as counselors do. And SEIT. Go for it.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:04 am
How did u get child evaluated? Was it through an agency? Or do I need to down to DOE to get paperwork

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:12 am
amother wrote:
How did u get child evaluated? Was it through an agency? Or do I need to down to DOE to get paperwork

Any.
You can do it through an agency and they'll take care of the paperwork.
EvalCare
Omni
Yeled vYalda
Are all agencies that you can use.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2017, 9:53 am
cnc wrote:
Dr. Feige Russ
Chaim Neuhoff

Dr. Feige Russ doesn't take rsa
Any more leads??