Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why are bras so expensive?!
Previous  1  2

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:27 pm
Vabien is cheaper than Chantelle also a great bra

amother
White

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:
I'm going to spend that much on a single clothing item, I'd like it to be something I wear on the outside, lol.

Just envisioning it makes me laugh

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

youngishbear

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:42 pm
We are on the second page of this thread and no one has answered the titular question.

Why indeed?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:47 pm
My bra costs over $60. I don't mind. A good bra is everything. I didn't find it cheaper online. It makes the clothes look better on you. A bad bra can make your $500 shabbos outfit look terrible on you.

pause

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:48 pm
flowerpower wrote:
My bra costs over $60. I don't mind. A good bra is everything. I didn't find it cheaper online. It makes the clothes look better on you. A bad bra can make your $500 shabbos outfit look terrible on you.

Who's spending $500 on a shabbas outfit?

pause

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:48 pm
Maybe this is for a spinoff, but why are eyeglasses frames so expensive???

bigsis144

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:57 pm
pause wrote:
Maybe this is for a spinoff, but why are eyeglasses frames so expensive???

Short answer: Monopolies. Luxottica is a company that owns 80 percent of the glasses brands (and most of the stores and eye insurance companies) which means that they can pretty much charge whatever they want and you don't have a choice.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:01 pm
essie14 wrote:
Worth every penny IMO. If you are wearing a non-supportive bra, your most expensive top will look cheap and ill-fitting.

Totally not true for everyone. Yes, many people do need the extra support, but many dont. I wear relatively cheap, non-underwire bras and my clothes always look very good on me.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:18 pm
Ok I'll answer the initial question. Even with offshore labor producing bras there is a lot of skill needed to construct one. Look at one of your own bras, wired or not. Count the number of pieces that make up that bra. In cheaper models machine operators construct them piece work. That means that one operator sits at a machine doing nothing but sewing straps or sewing in underwires, or hook and eye panels. Well constructed bras are usually made in shops with highly skilled operators who construct an entire bra at one sewing station. Fabric quality also raises costs.

Playtex has knocked off a minimizer that I've purchased from Glamorize. It's about $10 compared to the $40-60 I could pay for the Glamorize. The side panels are cheaper elastic, and although the shoulder straps copy the padded built up straps of the Glamorize, the padded portions are not positioned to fit for all adjustments. So I get a cup that fits just about the same, with side panels that leave me sweating and straps that don't center the padding where it is most needed. For that I saved $30.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:20 pm
pause wrote:
Who's spending $500 on a shabbas outfit?

I just said it to see what comments I'll get😜😜😜

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:21 pm
flowerpower wrote:

I agree. I'd rather spend more on my bra and less on my clothing!

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:00 am
go to marshall's tjmaxx & only get them when they're on sale ... sometimes you have to wait for your style/size/colour ... but then you get several for the $12.99 or 2 pks for $16 ... we are talking maidenform, bali, olga, warner's, etc. just like they sell at macy's or wherever

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:18 am
amother wrote:
Totally not true for everyone. Yes, many people do need the extra support, but many dont. I wear relatively cheap, non-underwire bras and my clothes always look very good on me.

Then you are not a person who complains why bras are so expensive. Anyone who needs a supportive bra should spend the money, IMO. that's what I was trying to explain to the OP.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics