Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Personality changed
1  2  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:11 am
Does anyone else feel like their personality changed once they lost weight?

I lost 25 lbs recently which is quite a big number for me because I wasn't so overweight. I did it because I wanted to be at a healthy weight and feel better about myself. No one pressured me to do this, and although my dh is very happy about it now , he never mentioned a word about my weight previously and it was completely my own decision.

I feel like my personality changed and I'm a little numb if that makes sense. (Depression maybe?)
Can anyone relate?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:23 am
Definitely true. I see it on other people.
(I'm still working on losing the weight Smile )

People become a lot more serious and lose their humor with heir weight.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:34 am
Wow thanks. I guess I'm not crazy.
I feel like in public I force myself to try to be the same person that I was before. - but it's hard.
There are times when I almost wish I didn't lose the weight because I just want to be my old self.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:21 am
Are you sure your old cheerful personality was really you? You sound like the myth of the fat jolly person. Maybe now that you're thin you're no longer trying to prove anything and are really being yourself instead of the jolly mask you wore when you were heavy.
Otoh maybe you're depressed because you've found that losing weight doesn't make all your problems go away, and life as a thin person isn't the utopia you imagined it would be. This is not an uncommon reaction. When you're heavy you can blame everything on your weight; once you lose the weight you don't have that excuse any more.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:28 am
zaq wrote:
Are you sure your old cheerful personality was really you? You sound like the myth of the fat jolly person. Maybe now that you're thin you're no longer trying to prove anything and are really being yourself instead of the jolly mask you wore when you were heavy.
Otoh maybe you're depressed because you've found that losing weight doesn't make all your problems go away, and life as a thin person isn't the utopia you imagined it would be. This is not an uncommon reaction. When you're heavy you can blame everything on your weight; once you lose the weight you don't have that excuse any more.

To clarify, I was never really heavy and I was never an extremely humorous funny person. I had an outgoing personality and was at a pretty average weight although I ate very unhealthy. Maybe it was all the sugar that I used to eat that contributed to my personality if that makes sense.

Now I basically feel a constant numbness which I hope is not the real me. It takes effort to laugh at people's jokes and enjoy life etc ...I'm embarrassed to discuss this with anyone IRL because I'm afraid they'll think I'm crazy!

From the responses here it seems that this change is not so atypical. Moving forward , does anyone have any suggestions? (Besides for gaining back the weight 😉)

Thanks to those that responded . I appreciate it!

BrachaC

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:38 am
Could it be that losing the weight required a tremendous amount of focus and energy? now that you have achieved the goal you still need some of that focus and probably have continued with your exercise etc. I think people minimize how much it actually takes to lose the weight, and now that you are on the other side you can't just revert to the "old you." You probably have to take some time to find a new interest, a new way of relating to going out with friends etc.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 10:40 am
BrachaC wrote:
Could it be that losing the weight required a tremendous amount of focus and energy? now that you have achieved the goal you still need some of that focus and probably have continued with your exercise etc. I think people minimize how much it actually takes to lose the weight, and now that you are on the other side you can't just revert to the "old you." You probably have to take some time to find a new interest, a new way of relating to going out with friends etc.

Yes. Thank you
I think you hit the nail on the head.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:00 am
I don't see how people change just because they lose or gain weight ... you've got me stumped

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:17 pm
OP, I hope you are blessed with clarity to figure out what's going on, to feel better, and more like yourself!! You accomplished a huge task, mazal tov!! Try to reach inside and find some pride in the fact that you accessed self control, strength, and mastery over such a physical and real drive/desire.

May I ask, how did you lose the weight? And over how long a period of time?

Firstly I'm curious since I am trying to do the same. Secondly, sometimes losing weight quickly and with certain methods can have these and other unexpected side affects.

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:25 pm
Is it possible your new diet is not giving you enough calories and nutrients?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:26 pm
Sometimes drastic changes in diet, even for the better, leaves you missing nutrients that affect your mood and energy. For example, cutting 600 cal a day or cutting all sugar and carbs--even though it seems like that was a good idea, might not be for your body. I know when I cut out carbs I am totally not myself. Also, if you are used to have sugar as an energy booster/mood booster, and suddenly you don't have that, you need to find something else to replace that. Please see a nutritionist to see if you are getting what you need.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:28 pm
Yes. I have seen it happen by a few people.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:36 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Is it possible your new diet is not giving you enough calories and nutrients?
h

This
Maybe take a multi and see if you feel better.
A blood test would be a good idea to rule out anemia, etc.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:42 pm
Thanks again to all those that responded.

I did this with a registered nutritionist. I did not cut out any food groups.( I didn't cut out carbs- but I eat whole wheat matzah or crackers etc, no junk etc). I did cut out sugar though - I first switched to artificial sweeteners, and then I basically weaned myself off of those because they're not really healthy.
I'm definitely getting in enough calories- I don't starve myself at all. 3 solid meals a day and 2 fruits.

I think a different poster pinpointed the issue. It's not really the weight loss that caused the issue- it's the weight loss journey if that makes sense. I literally put all my energy into this and didn't focus on anything else. I didn't expect the dieting to be so difficult emotionally.

I think I have to start getting out more often and finding new hobbies. My diet was such a central part of my life for the last few months and I need to find something else to focus on.

So glad that I can post this here because I would have felt like a fool discussing this IRL. I was afraid people would think I'm nuts .

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
h

This
Maybe take a multi and see if you feel better.
A blood test would be a good idea to rule out anemia, etc.

I am anemic- I always am and I'm not good about taking my Iron.
Can that be part of the problem?

pause

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:03 pm
I have seen it with myself and with other people. Losing weight requires intense self-discipline, thinking before acting, advance planning and preparation (events, meals, etc.) You lose the ability to be spontaneous, flexible, and let loose. And that affects your personality in other non-food related areas.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:11 pm
pause wrote:
I have seen it with myself and with other people. Losing weight requires intense self-discipline, thinking before acting, advance planning and preparation (events, meals, etc.) You lose the ability to be spontaneous, flexible, and let loose. And that affects your personality in other non-food related areas.

Wow, you described the situation exactly.
I'm starting to feel better already seeing my issues pinpointed. At least I know what I can work on.

pause

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:15 pm
amother wrote:
Wow, you described the situation exactly.
I'm starting to feel better already seeing my issues pinpointed. At least I know what I can work on.
Yups. It's the reason why those closest to me don't like when I diet...

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 8:41 pm
A nutritionist once told me that weight loss can cause toxins to be released into the blood, as they are held in the fat cells.

I became clinically depressed after a sudden (healthy!) weight loss of 30 lbs.

Years later it stumped me and I only realized after that the weight loss may have contributed!

imaima

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 5:05 am
amother wrote:
To clarify, I was never really heavy and I was never an extremely humorous funny person. I had an outgoing personality and was at a pretty average weight although I ate very unhealthy. Maybe it was all the sugar that I used to eat that contributed to my personality if that makes sense.

Now I basically feel a constant numbness which I hope is not the real me. It takes effort to laugh at people's jokes and enjoy life etc ...I'm embarrassed to discuss this with anyone IRL because I'm afraid they'll think I'm crazy!

From the responses here it seems that this change is not so atypical. Moving forward , does anyone have any suggestions? (Besides for gaining back the weight 😉)

Thanks to those that responded . I appreciate it!

Maybe it has to do with your weight loss method?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise