Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Personality changed
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:20 am
You've gotten some really solid answers here, and I'm glad that you're finding the cause that seems to fit.

The brain/gut relationship is a real thing. I found that when I cut out too much fat, I had horrible brain fog and could barely remember my left hand from my right. One tablespoon of butter fixed that immediately. (suggested by my nutritionist) I ate it straight from the spoon, and oh my gosh, it was better than zex! My brain had been starving, and the synapses can't fire properly without healthy fats.

The detox issue is important, too. If you're drinking coffee, switch to caffeinated green tea. It will help speed up the removal of toxins and cleanse your liver.

It's fabulous that you've discovered that you have so much drive and determination to stick to a tough program, and get the results you want. Now, what else could you apply that energy to? Is there something you've always wanted to do, but didn't think you could stick to it and see it through? Now you know you can do it!

sneakermom

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 10:21 am
I don't think we realize how sensitive and feeling the mouth is. The whole experience of chewing, tasting, taking a bite, feeling the taste and the texture, even swallowing is a very pleasurable and often very soothing experience.

And the food we consume can give us a high, or a burst of energy or a satisfied, satiated feeling.

Often dieting involves a lot of depriving oneself of that delightful eating sensation, or the sugar high one was accustomed to.

Of course self discipline has its own pleasure. And being healthy and fit is priceless. And learning to enjoy food but within a framework gives a person a certain sense of control and security.

But the temptation to cave in. To capitulate to the constant enticing foods that beckon. Bh we live in a world of abundance. Food is everywhere. And the human mind was conditioned to eat and eat in times of plenty lest a famine come and take it all away.

So it's sometimes mind numbing to keep saying, "no". To keep to a regimen despite the body constantly wanting to be fed and indulged.

Also food "fills" a person. The experience of being filled contributes to a sense of well being and connectiveness.

Without the filled feeling a person can feel lost, out of sorts, and maybe a bit depressed.

So there's often a strong emotional connection to the experience of putting food in our mouths, feeling the sensation and swallowing.

And if you curb that. You will have to deal with the feelings that come up.

Dealing with the feelings instead of instantly gratifying them:)

You should be really proud you accomplished the weight loss. Now you need to figure out how it feels to be lighter, and how it feels to keep at the program.

You've come very far. This is another step in your journey.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 10:37 am
My mum lost weight this past year she became more confident. My boss lost weight the only thing she can do is run up the stairs faster and she is the same crazy as before.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 4:40 pm
it definitely happens. and it's not for the better, usually.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 5:03 pm
sneakermom wrote:
I don't think we realize how sensitive and feeling the mouth is. The whole experience of chewing, tasting, taking a bite, feeling the taste and the texture, even swallowing is a very pleasurable and often very soothing experience.

And the food we consume can give us a high, or a burst of energy or a satisfied, satiated feeling.

Often dieting involves a lot of depriving oneself of that delightful eating sensation, or the sugar high one was accustomed to.

Of course self discipline has its own pleasure. And being healthy and fit is priceless. And learning to enjoy food but within a framework gives a person a certain sense of control and security.

But the temptation to cave in. To capitulate to the constant enticing foods that beckon. Bh we live in a world of abundance. Food is everywhere. And the human mind was conditioned to eat and eat in times of plenty lest a famine come and take it all away.

So it's sometimes mind numbing to keep saying, "no". To keep to a regimen despite the body constantly wanting to be fed and indulged.

Also food "fills" a person. The experience of being filled contributes to a sense of well being and connectiveness.

Without the filled feeling a person can feel lost, out of sorts, and maybe a bit depressed.

So there's often a strong emotional connection to the experience of putting food in our mouths, feeling the sensation and swallowing.

And if you curb that. You will have to deal with the feelings that come up.

Dealing with the feelings instead of instantly gratifying them:)

You should be really proud you accomplished the weight loss. Now you need to figure out how it feels to be lighter, and how it feels to keep at the program.

You've come very far. This is another step in your journey.

So you are saying that the feeling different described by the OP is psychological?

If so, then it would seem the solution would be to try to spin it differently for yourself. I have a close friend who is on an extremely restrictive diet for medical reasons, and she can suffer immediate, painful effects if she "cheats". She told me that she focuses on what she CAN eat, and how her food tastes delicious and is filling (although her choices are quite restricted), and how important her health is to her.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone else feel like their personality changed once they lost weight?

I lost 25 lbs recently which is quite a big number for me because I wasn't so overweight. I did it because I wanted to be at a healthy weight and feel better about myself. No one pressured me to do this, and although my dh is very happy about it now , he never mentioned a word about my weight previously and it was completely my own decision.

I feel like my personality changed and I'm a little numb if that makes sense. (Depression maybe?)
Can anyone relate?

I know that this is an old question and hopefully, this is irrelevant but I am posting it because in case others might benefit since this is a common issue. The depression like personality change due to weight loss can be the result of a vitamin deficiency or an indication that you are not eating enough or not healthy enough for your body. Not all programs are created equal and not all programs are designed for everyone. It is important to listen to the body signals and adjust accordingly.

Vitality and well-being are an indication of health. Weight is just a part of the equation. Although it is an important factor it is not the only factor.

I too had this and by me it was a vitamin B deficiency.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:
I know that this is an old question and hopefully, this is irrelevant but I am posting it because in case others might benefit since this is a common issue. The depression like personality change due to weight loss can be the result of a vitamin deficiency or an indication that you are not eating enough or not healthy enough for your body. Not all programs are created equal and not all programs are designed for everyone. It is important to listen to the body signals and adjust accordingly.

Vitality and well-being are an indication of health. Weight is just a part of the equation. Although it is an important factor it is not the only factor.

I too had this and by me it was a vitamin B deficiency.

OP here- thank you.

I am going to make an appointment for blood work this week.

Thanks to all those that responsed.

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 11:42 pm
I also lost weight recently. I wouldn't say my personality changed but all my dreams didn't come true... it isn't soo magical (except for my size!) but life is life, stressors are still stressors, and being thin isn't some magical cure all.

When I was 30 pounds heavier I couldn't even imagine loosing just one pound and a healthy weight just felt so elusive and lustful and dream- come- true.

It is a dream come true but life is life and it isn't easy just because you are thin.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise