Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Cat owners help please!
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:05 pm
We are very seriously considering adopting a pair of cats, but we have some big concerns.

I know there are plenty of frum families out there with pet cats, so hopefully those of you who do (or did) can help us!

1. How do you keep them off the kitchen counters? I am worried about them bringing up their food or traifing things up some other way.

2. How do you keep Shabbos and yahrzeit candles safe?

3. I know their food can't have meat & milk in it - can you recommend a brand that is ok?

4. And what about Pesach food?

Is there anything else I am neglecting to consider?
Thanks!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
We are very seriously considering adopting a pair of cats, but we have some big concerns.

I know there are plenty of frum families out there with pet cats, so hopefully those of you who do (or did) can help us!

1. How do you keep them off the kitchen counters? I am worried about them bringing up their food or traifing things up some other way. - You teach them its a no go zone. There re books and websites on how to train.

2. How do you keep Shabbos and yahrzeit candles safe? Its a no go zone, see above.

3. I know their food can't have meat & milk in it - can you recommend a brand that is ok? You dont need kosher food, just read the ingredients.

4. And what about Pesach food? Boiled chicken. Or Turkey. or any of these https://catingtonpost.com/the-.....list/

Is there anything else I am neglecting to consider? Please adopt and dont shop. Ive had cats all my life, always adopted. Its amazing and your kids will thank you!!! Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks!

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:24 pm
I light candles in places they can't reach, like atop the bookcase.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:

1. How do you keep them off the kitchen counters? I am worried about them bringing up their food or traifing things up some other way.

2. How do you keep Shabbos and yahrzeit candles safe?

3. I know their food can't have meat & milk in it - can you recommend a brand that is ok?

4. And what about Pesach food?

Is there anything else I am neglecting to consider?
Thanks!

hi there! are the cats spayed or neutered already?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
hi there! are the cats spayed or neutered already?

Yes, but both still quite young.

anotherima

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:37 pm
1. How do you keep them off the kitchen counters? I am worried about them bringing up their food or traifing things up some other way. You can train them by having a shpritz bottle and spray them any time they go on counter.

2. How do you keep Shabbos and yahrzeit candles safe? when we light nairos the cats are not allowed upstairs.

3. I know their food can't have meat & milk in it - can you recommend a brand that is ok? You have to look at the label, I use wet food so much less of a problem

4. And what about Pesach food? We buy what is on the list of kosher for passover food.

Is there anything else I am neglecting to consider? Do you have a veterinarian. I would also encourage you to get pet insurance for medical but depends on you.
Thanks!

anotherima

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:37 pm
Oh and one more thing. Get a toothbrush for cats and brush their teeth. cats are notorious for lousy teeth.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, but both still quite young.

Most shelter cats will be neutered. They also sometimes give you coupons for really cheap medical insurance for the cat.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 12:50 pm
We just got a cat. It is definitely more work than I expected with changing the litter box, getting into trouble climbing onto the table and the counters and she even climbed on top of our bookshelf and knocked over a vase. we have had her for a few months and my kids love her but honestly I wish I could get rid of her at this point.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:25 pm
Maybe I should start a new thread for my question, but the fact is, I wished for a cat when I was younger, my parents never let and neither did my husband. I am about to get divorced and am seriously thinking of fulfilling my childhood dream. What would you say is the most important thing to think of when deciding?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I should start a new thread for my question, but the fact is, I wished for a cat when I was younger, my parents never let and neither did my husband. I am about to get divorced and am seriously thinking of fulfilling my childhood dream. What would you say is the most important thing to think of when deciding?

Go to shelter and walk around. Pay attention to the cats but see which one you click with. Its just like shidduchim. Hug Shelter cats usually have all the necessary medical stuff done and are neutered. Dont buy a cat at a store, adopt.

Ive had cats since I was a baby and we always adopted from a shelter and everytime we went to see who we would click with.

Also, you may want to consider an older cat, I.e. over 2 years old, since you can sort of figure out their personality vs. a kitten. And it may be good for you, they are great companions, especially when going through a hard time.

Our last cat was abused and about to be put down, we took him in anyways because I just felt it. It took some time, but now he is the most loving, caring, affectionate cat we've had. Let me know if you have any questions.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:49 pm
I never had cats growing up but as soon as I got married, we got a kitten. Over the next 30 years, I have had 2 domestic short hairs that we raised as kittens, 1 Bengal and 2 Savannahs. All were rescues. Don't adopt a Bengal or Savannah if you are not experienced with cats. They are smart, strong, demanding, and very dexterous. They act like crazy kittens well into their double-digit years. My 2 domestic cats lived together for awhile until the older one died. The younger one lived alone for another 15 years. We adopted an adult Bengal when she was about 9 and she died at 16. The Savannahs were only available for adoption as a bonded pair. They are almost always in the same room and when they sleep it looks like a big ball with 4 ears poking out.

Another trick to keep cats off counters is to put double sided sticky tape on the surfaces where they aren't allowed. They don't like the feel of pulling their paws from an adhesive. A third trick is to put wrinkled up tinfoil on your surfaces. They don't like that either.

If you hate litter mess (who doesn't?), try a big plastic storage container instead of a regular sized litterbox. The sides are higher and the square footage is bigger so it is easier for the cats to conduct their business without too much mess. We scoop daily and change it out once a week.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:05 pm
Where can I adopt a cat in Israel?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
Where can I adopt a cat in Israel?

Everywhere

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:15 pm
sequoia wrote:
I light candles in places they can't reach, like atop the bookcase.

You light candles on top of a bookcase? How do you reach?
I was under the impression cats can pretty much reach anywhere, no?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:

If you train them to stay off of "no go zones" how do you know they stay off when you're not home? We used to have a dog that would never go on our sofa when we were home, but the minute we left he was on there all day.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:19 pm
anotherima wrote:
1. How do you keep them off the kitchen counters? I am worried about them bringing up their food or traifing things up some other way. You can train them by having a shpritz bottle and spray them any time they go on counter.

2. How do you keep Shabbos and yahrzeit candles safe? when we light nairos the cats are not allowed upstairs.

How do you know they really stay off when you're not there?

And do you never leave a yahrzeit candle burning when you're not home? I suppose we could just put it (the candle) in a room with the door closed.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:20 pm
anotherima wrote:
Oh and one more thing. Get a toothbrush for cats and brush their teeth. cats are notorious for lousy teeth.

Wow, your cats let you brush their teeth?! My dog barely let us, and aren't cats way more resistant?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
We just got a cat. It is definitely more work than I expected with changing the litter box, getting into trouble climbing onto the table and the counters and she even climbed on top of our bookshelf and knocked over a vase. we have had her for a few months and my kids love her but honestly I wish I could get rid of her at this point.

This is the kind of stuff I am worried about. I am thinking how to secure all valuables and remove dangerous plants.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
You light candles on top of a bookcase? How do you reach?
I was under the impression cats can pretty much reach anywhere, no?

Depends on age, health, agility, etc. My elderly cat and her late sister certainly can/could not.

Stepladder. Another option is on top of the fridge.

Listen, I'm not saying cats can't be trained. But mine never were, so I have to keep things like, you know, fire away from them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets