Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Cat owners help please!
Previous  1  2

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:22 pm
Oh and also - what about the smell? Does the whole house start to smell of cat? Or does this just depend on how good we are about litterbox cleaning?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, but both still quite young.

Four weeks is considered optimal now.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:33 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Four weeks is considered optimal now.

They are both spayed/neutered. One is about a year old and the other is a couple months.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
If you train them to stay off of "no go zones" how do you know they stay off when you're not home? We used to have a dog that would never go on our sofa when we were home, but the minute we left he was on there all day.

We have a cam and Ive yet to catch. they know somehow. Also, when are gone for a long period of time, we usually leave him upstairs and lock the door, thus he has all he needs but cant go downstairs.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 7:49 pm
learn to cut their nails so they don't scratch your stuff up ... & brush them often as there will be less cat dander around [I give the kitties a bath once a month]

& make sure these are cats that already get along ... 2 males will be territorial and pee everywhere regardless of being neutered

cats climb ~ period

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:30 pm
anotherima wrote:
You can train them by having a shpritz bottle and spray them any time they go on counter.

Off Topic: It is socially acceptable to train your cat not to jump on counters, but it is completely unacceptable to tell your child the word no. If you do then you will be a pariah forever and ever.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:40 pm
I've had cats all my adult life and never had one on the counter, none scratched and they all only climbed cat structures. I would say using the spray bottle works but I also behave like a mother cat. If my new kitty is approaching a book shelf with that look in his eyes I give a momma cat hiss. If that doesn't work I pick it up like a momma and look in its eyes and hiss. If the kitty looks like they may be interested in scratching a piece of furniture I divert it to whatever scratching posts it may have. My cat's have always been permitted on furniture, but they also are restricted to where their blankets are on a chair, couch or bed.

Litter is always a complaint and I would recommend using a high grade clumping, flushable litter. Once I found World's Best, I'd never change back. It keeps odor down and absorbs beautifully. I also plunked solids and liquids twice a day.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:13 pm
World's Best is amazing, definitely lives up to its name.

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 5:22 pm
I have nothing useful to say. I grew up with cats and love them. DH is allergic (or claims to be). Otherwise, I would steal Sequoia's cat away and love her forever.

chani8

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:33 am
I have three cats.

They live in my master bedroom most of the time. I only let them wander the house when they will be supervised and all food is put away. I clap my hands in one noisy clap to get their attention when they get on the food counters. I also make a "tche" sound to tell them 'no'. So, clap then say 'tche', and then take them off the counter if they dont jump off themselves.

My cats sleep locked up in my bathroom from 11pm to 7am (with access to food and water and litter box). Many people 'crate' their cats at night, because it eliminates bad cat behavior both at night and during the day.

The best litter box is one with a cover and flap-door. The best litter is a combination of cheap non-clumping litter mixed with super absorbent Silica crystals. If your cats are not siblings, then ideally you should have two cat litter boxes.

My point in sharing is to show you that some cat owners do not let their cats run freely through the house and make messes and cause problems.

Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets