Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Portable changing pad- pick 2 (poll)

What are your preferences in a portable changing pad?
Machine-washable and padded  
 10%  [ 2 ]
Wipeable surface and padded  
 47%  [ 9 ]
Wipeable surface and machine-washable  
 15%  [ 3 ]
Disposable  
 10%  [ 2 ]
Other (leave a comment)  
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:05 pm
I already posted about sewing this- well, the fabric is gorgeous, but the print only shows on the less-wipeable side. The side with the print shouldn't be difficult to clean, but it's a stain-resistant polyester that would be most comparable to a stain-resistant tablecloth. Water will mostly bead up on it and it line-dries very quickly. My estimate, having used fabric of this type before, is that it will be reusable in a pinch on the same outing if lightly soiled but will need laundering to get really clean.

I'm going through my options and a bunch of online tutorials for DIY changing pads, and I can't find a method that combines all of the following:
-machine washability (vital to me, but maybe not to everyone?)
-wipeable changing surface- I.e. the surface the baby is lying on, as opposed to the underside
-some amount of padding (more important, I think, if you change diapers on the floor rather than a bed or sofa when visiting)

Which combo do you prefer, assuming only two out of the three can be combined?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:05 pm
For those who care to understand specifics of the sewing, options are:
-The pretty PUL fabric alone- so the pretty side can face down, and the plain white side faces up and is wipeable. The whole thing will be machine-washable but not offer any cushioning. Another plus, super-lightweight.
-Canvas backing, with the pretty PUL for the changing surface, with fleece or batting sewn in between the layers. Machine-washable, padded, surface stain-resistant but not 100% wipeable.
-Same as the previous option, but with clear iron-on vinyl over the pretty PUL. Wipeable surface, padded, but the vinyl is not machine-washable. The heaviest option because of the number of layers.

MommyM

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:10 pm
I don't care that much if it's not padded or machine washable. My main concern would be that it is wipeable.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:21 pm
I have one that I am happy with that is not wipeable or padded, but it is machine washable. I love it. Since it's not padded, it folds and squishes really small. Convenient. I use it at home too. If it gets dirty, I just pop it in the washing machine.

It's especially good for young babies that might pish again while you're changing them--it will just absorb that extra liquid instead of letting it spill off the pad.

You probably won't find one that is both padded/wipeable and also machine washable...

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
I have one that I am happy with that is not wipeable or padded, but it is machine washable. I love it. Since it's not padded, it folds and squishes really small. Convenient. I use it at home too. If it gets dirty, I just pop it in the washing machine.

It's especially good for young babies that might pish again while you're changing them--it will just absorb that extra liquid instead of letting it spill off the pad.

You probably won't find one that is both padded/wipeable and also machine washable...

I have two that are as you described, machine washable but neither wipeable nor padded. With two, it's no big deal to have one in the wash. I don't know how much liquid they absorb, though the bias binding around the edges would keep it from running off the edge. I'll probably use bias binding in any case, and that will need washing or it will start to stink. So I think I've narrowed it down to wipeable vs padded.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics