Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What do you mean, no shells?!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:17 pm
RDR wrote:
Did you read Rav Falk's sefer?

His sources don't seem to support want he writes. I'm looking for actual sources.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:19 pm
perquacky wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. I know some people always cover their collarbone, but the concept of covering higher is new to me.

The collarbone is in front. How much should be covered on the sides and back? The necklace trick helps for the sides and the top vertebra works for the back. (That's why some groups only wear collared shirts, they cover the top bone, not just meet it.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:
His sources don't seem to support want he writes. I'm looking for actual sources.

He has a separate booklet with sources. (the men usually read that one)

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:21 pm
RDR wrote:
Did you read Rav Falk's sefer?

I wouldn't think Rav Falk is a good source.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:23 pm
I've gotten lots of tznius dresses lately on Jane.com. Their stuff is only available for a few days and new stuff is added daily. Like this: https://jane.com/deal/307553/s.....sults They have this style dress in many solid colors very often for about $20. Metziahs.com often posts when Jane has tznius clothing.

Liba

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:25 pm
I have major problems with shell necklines! I have about given up on shells since the necklines stretch out so quickly even if they start out okay.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:25 pm
RDR wrote:
He has a separate booklet with sources. (the men usually read that one)

I've looked up his sources, they don't support what he writes. I'm not home now so can't give example, but will (bli neder) later.

The most you can say is he offers a hashkafic perspective not a halachic one.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
For those who are makpid, that is not enough.

http://www.yalnewyork.com/inde......html

This page has some that might work, depending on your neck.

Makpid on what? What part of the collarbone was not covered in those target crew necks?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:30 pm
Iymnok wrote:
The collarbone is in front. How much should be covered on the sides and back? The necklace trick helps for the sides and the top vertebra works for the back. (That's why some groups only wear collared shirts, they cover the top bone, not just meet it.

The top vertebrae connects to the base of the skull.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:34 pm
Liba wrote:
I have major problems with shell necklines! I have about given up on shells since the necklines stretch out so quickly even if they start out okay.

Me too. I bring my shels to a dressmaker who takes in the two side seems for me making the neck opening smaller. No safty pins. No elastics. Smooth nice comfortible opening for head that sits corectly on me.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:36 pm
Here's some more tznius dresses, great for spring, for $21.99! https://www.groopdealz.com/dea.....s/hbs

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:38 pm
My take on shells - white shells under sleeveless or short sleeves are long out. Obviously I am wearing a shell under a sheer top/blouse but if its a dark top, dark shell. I also have some short sleeved tops that I wear with gray or black tees underneath but it doesn't have that shell look. It's part of the style. I dress well, so you can trust me Wink

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:38 pm
I keep seeing all these cute dresses and wishing they were nursing friendly. Its such a bummer.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:39 pm
Liba wrote:

You need to get the 'frum' shells. Dont know if they sell them in EY, but they are bit more expensive than the other ones. They come with buttons in the back, which are adjustable to your neck. Of course the regular ones, if you stretch it over your head, is going to end up being too cut out.

Elizabeth W

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:49 pm
I just bought a sleeveless dress a month ago, so now its considered "nerdy" or "not in" if I wear it with a shell?

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
You need to get the 'frum' shells. Dont know if they sell them in EY, but they are bit more expensive than the other ones. They come with buttons in the back, which are adjustable to your neck. Of course the regular ones, if you stretch it over your head, is going to end up being too cut out.

It's called 'kosher' in E''Y (חולצת בסיס כשרה). It has a zipper in the back and is sold in any frum clothing store.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:07 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I keep seeing all these cute dresses and wishing they were nursing friendly. Its such a bummer.

I am with you!! Really hard for public nursing. Lately I've been buying and wearing dresses anyway, but that's easy for me to say because my baby is really a toddler who never needs to nurse anymore when I'm out and about.

That said, it's not impossible to nurse in a dress... sitting on a couch, with a large blanket, and I'm wearing a slip underneath too. I'm preg now and I hope I'll be able to wear dresses with a younger baby too...

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:11 pm
Kind of unrelated question, for those posting and wearing these cute spring dresses... what shoes for weekday summer? Winter can do booties. Shabbos can do heels. What flats go with these dresses? That can be worn with pantyhose.

(I do have summery booties but they're not really for everyday.)

If it's relevant, I'm pretty short. I def look better in heels but then it's too dressed up and I'm not comfortable.

Thanks!

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:26 pm
I just can't get behind this dress fad...I have a small frame but have had 5 kids in the last 9 years. My stomach is baggy! Any of these dresses would make me look pregnant and would also cling to my problem areas (thighs and tush)!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:30 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
I wouldn't think Rav Falk is a good source.

Can I rephrase this?
The source for the necklace litmus test is Rav Falk's sefer.
If you weren't taught this when you learned about tznius and consider yourself mainstream yeshivish, find a rebbetzin to consult with on this. B'chlal, I'm not keen on people studying Rav Falk's sefer without a respectful mentor.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics