Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Weddins and uniquness

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 6:19 pm
What was the most unique wedding you have even seen?

I was at a wedding once where the chossons father gave a speech under the chuppah.
I was at a wedding where the chassan played drums by the chuppah.
I was at a wedding where the whole family wore white. Very Happy

bigsis144

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 8:21 pm
My chuppah was on the deck of a yacht club with all the boats in the background. (I did NOT get married on a boat, though LOL )

I also took a picture holding a life-size replica of Gandalf's sword Glamdring from the Lord of the Rings films.

Though LOL at your idea of "unique" weddings... those are so tame! Frum weddings are INSANELY cookie-cutter. Very Happy

For some truly off-the-wall stuff: http://offbeatbride.com/

Green hair!

Cow kigurumis!

Swords!

The parasols make me think Firefly, though it could also be more generic steampunk?

general geekery

Yeah, it can always get weirder Very Happy

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Feb 15 2017, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 8:23 pm
a speech under the chuppa isnt exactly unique even if it's uncommon. I think it used to be more common but has gone out of fashion. I was once at a wedding at. which the chossons father spoke for an hour under the chuppa. That was unique but not in a good way.

A wedding at which the brides daughter was the flower girl. Bride adopted a baby when she was single and got married a few years later.

How about a wedding in which a mother and two daughters who are already married get married one after the other? They were BTs who had had civil weddings and were getting married be chuppah vekiddushin years later. First the mom and dad had their chuppa and then the daughters and sons in law came in after they were done, first one couple and then the other. They were all mekareved by the same rabbi and he arranged the event.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 8:35 pm
Frum people are not usually known for embracing uniqueness. Quite the opposite. Conformity is king. Many imamothers try to find out what kind of toothbrush people use so that they shouldn't Chas vechalilah use a brand that nobody else does. Unique weddings? Not very likely unless under duress, like being stranded by a blizzard.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:37 am
What does one want from a wedding? I wanted everyone I knew and liked to be there and dance with me to music I approved of. I wanted everything done according to halacha. I wanted a comfortable dance floor.

A wedding in a field would be hard to dance at.
A destination wedding would be small without the people I loved.
Costumes and stuff are distracting, come on! A wedding is dress up itself!

I didn't have a standard wedding because everyone else did, I did because I wanted it.

The most unique one I went to was kabbalos panic at the Four Sefardi Synagogues in the Old City, chuppa on top of Aish, and reception at Binyanei Hauma.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:50 am
A wedding where one side were Jews from India. They sang a beautiful piyyut at the chuppah. The grandmother wore a fuschia shalwar khameez.

A wedding where couples were called up for sheva brachos. The husband made the bracha and the wife gave good wishes to the bride and groom.

A wedding where the bride bawled all through the mitzvah tanz. (They are grandparents now, and I think they have been happy for years.)

A wedding where the photographer's light set the chuppah on fire. No damage, lots of laughs.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:05 am
"The most unique one I went to was kabbalos panic"

LOL

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:46 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Though LOL at your idea of "unique" weddings... those are so tame!

The opposite of tame is wild. Unique means one of a kind. Can't compare.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:38 am
A Carlbach style wedding.
First when the kalla walked down the isle, there was a circle of flower girls dancing around her.
Then during sheva berachot under the chuppa the Rabbi sang with his guitar and all the men danced. Each Beracha took a good 10-15 minutes.
It was absolutely beautiful

sky

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
What was the most unique wedding you have even seen?

I was at a wedding once where the chossons father gave a speech under the chuppah.
I was at a wedding where the chassan played drums by the chuppah.
I was at a wedding where the whole family wore white. Very Happy

I was a at a wedding where the chassan's parents couldn't leave the country they lived in. They hadn't seen their son since he was very young when he escaped. The father spoke at the chuppah in another language over the phone and someone translated. It was so emotional.

I was at another wedding - similar story - where the mother was at the wedding and had not seen her daughter in over6 years and they didn't know she would be able to be there until the night before the wedding. Also super emotional.

A persian wedding and it was so unique for me in every way - the music, dancing, chuppah, there is an elaborate toast (with a tower of champagne glasses) followed by a cake cutting cermenoy and a song everyone tore apart the centerpiece flowers and threw the petals at the chassan and kallah - I was told its standard - lots of interesting minhagim.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 11:27 am
[/font]

At my cousin's wedding (Israeli, very frum hesder boy), the friends walked the chassan down to the chuppah playing darbukkot. Then they handed all the guests a special tefilla to say for the couple. Maybe this is normal in non-chareidi circles, but was really beautiful for me.

By his younger brother's wedding a few years later, their father was no longer alive and they had the oldest brother say a really moving tribute to who he was and the values he passed on to his children under the chuppah before the brachos. Not a dry eye.

Funniest wedding was when the chosson was asked for the ring and pulled out a round pretzel! No-one understood why everyone under the chuppah burst out laughing until the kallah explained later...

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 11:31 am
bigsis144 wrote:

I will never again complain about any of the bridesmaids dresses I have been forced to wear.

ETA -- I hope that the bride didn't say "and you can definitely wear it again!"

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 11:45 am
Neve weddings. Nothing like it. I grew up in a typical frum family in Brooklyn, and I found all the many weddings I had to attend so boring. I was in sem on the Neve campus and became friends with some girls in Neve. I attended two of their weddings, and wow! What was unique was the amount of joy, camaraderie and energy in the room. By dancing, people DANCED!!! With so much passion and genuine joy.

I find that at most frum weddings people need to look dainty and reserved, and dance ladylike. These weddings showed me what weddings could really be like.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:26 pm
Lymnok! I was at that wedding too :-)

mille

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
A wedding where couples were called up for sheva brachos. The husband made the bracha and the wife gave good wishes to the bride and groom.

I went to one where the family on one side was all not religious and they did this. The husband would say the bracha and the wife would read the English translation. It was really sweet!

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 2:09 pm
Did not attend but saw a video of a chasson dressing up as Kermit the Frog (or just some random giant frog) to entertain the kallah. Was really sweet!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics