Home

Day Without Immigrants- In Your Community?
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Mistyrose


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
I agree with your other posts, but this one was unfair.
Many people wish they can clean up their own sh*** but can't do so for many reasons, and cleaning help is their saving grace.


Yes, I thought her comment was disgusting and smug. What a nasty thing to say. And not to mention what would happen to all those cleaning women if people didn't hire them anymore.
Back to top

wondergirl









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:45 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I didn't suggest that Trump was lying. In fact, I suggested that he was completely honest, in that there are a large number of positions that cannot be filled by American workers. You're the one who thinks that he could quickly fill those positions with Americans.

Students who receive financial aid may also received a work study award, where they are paid for doing certain work. Its usually minimum wage, and a lot of colleges practically survive on work study students and other student workers. About 70% of college students work, in some capacity, while in college. But the government cannot force college students, or anyone else, to accept minimum wage positions. Or any other position, for that matter.

Farm workers usually work 14 hours a day, 6 days a week. They don't offer breaks during they day so you can go to your accounting class.

So try again.

Actually, they can (okay, not force %100 but if students are desperate then they will comply with it to get their needs met). In order for a college student to qualify for food stamps they have to prove they are working at least part time which is exactly how it should be for financial aid as well. And if students get work study then its even better because Trump wouldnt have to pay them anything so there would be no reason for him not to hire them if they want the job.
And as I said, not all jobs are field jobs. He hires cooks, waiters, housekeepers, etc all of which can be done by students who just need a temporary job til they finish college.

But again, he is not breaking any laws if he gets the govt permission to legally hire foreigners, it is only the illegal aliens that people have a problem with. Do you think it would be acceptable for him to hire illegal aliens like they do in other companies?
Back to top

MagentaYenta









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:51 pm
wondergirl wrote:
...
And as I said, not all jobs are field jobs. He hires cooks, waiters, housekeepers, etc all of which can be done by students who just need a temporary job til they finish college.

...


Just as a point of information, cooks and waiters at luxury hotels are skilled workers. It's not like they are manning a grill or doing table service at a coffee shop. These people make bank.

ETA I'm guessing the positions hired were nonskilled housekeepers and grounds workers.
Back to top

SixOfWands









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:53 pm
wondergirl wrote:
Actually, they can. In order for a college student to qualify for food stamps they have to prove they are working at least part time which is exactly how it should be for financial aid as well. And if students get work study then its even better because Trump wouldnt have to pay them anything so there would be no reason for him not to hire them if they want the job.
And as I said, not all jobs are field jobs. He hires cooks, waiters, housekeepers, etc all of which can be done by students who just need a temporary job til they finish college.

But again, he is not breaking any laws if he gets the govt permission to legally hire foreigners, it is only the illegal aliens that people have a problem with. Do you think it would be acceptable for him to hire illegal aliens like they do in other companies?


Its very difficult for students to get food stamps. To get them, they have to be eligible, AND

    Get public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program of the Social Security Act;

    Take part in a State or federally financed work study program;

    Work at least 20 hours a week;

    Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;

    Are taking care of a dependent household member over the age of 5 but under 12 and do not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or

    Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:

    A program under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014,

    A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974,

    An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act, or

    An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.

    Also, a single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible.


But that is a great idea. Hey, all you imamothers struggling to get by. Is your husband in kollel? Are you a SAHM? Wondergirl has a great idea. Now, you both have to prove that you're working at least a minimum wage job for you to qualify. And without undocumented aliens, there's plenty of itinerant farm work, and lots of room for janitors and cleaning help.

There's a few threads right now about women struggling. Please, go suggest that to them.
Back to top

wondergirl









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:57 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Just as a point of information, cooks and waiters at luxury hotels are skilled workers. It's not like they are manning a grill or doing table service at a coffee shop. These people make bank.

Idk. I am assuming that they would need several sous chefs to work together in the kitchen to prep the food for the guests. So the students wouldnt be head chef, they would just have individual jobs to do I.e. preparing salad, cooking fish, etc and the head chef would be the one supervising them to ensure the high quality that guests expect. This is pretty much how it works in the food industry, there is a executive/head chef with multiple sous chefs working together under his/her supervision, why would this be any different?
Back to top

MagentaYenta









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:02 pm
wondergirl wrote:
Idk. I am assuming that they would need several sous chefs to work together in the kitchen to prep the food for the guests. So the students wouldnt be head chef, they would just have individual jobs to do I.e. preparing salad, cooking fish, etc and the head chef would be the one supervising them to ensure the high quality that guests expect. This is pretty much how it works in the food industry, there is a executive/head chef with multiple sous chefs working together under his/her supervision, why would this be any different?


Do you know how long it takes to make sous? About six years in a high end kitchen if you have the talent and a resume. Seriously, luxury dining, as presented in the Trump resorts and hotels isn't depending on some potato peelers to be adequate sous chefs. You are harboring some illusions about knowledge, skills and experience when it comes to the world of fine dining.
Back to top

MagentaYenta









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:05 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

...
But that is a great idea. Hey, all you imamothers struggling to get by. Is your husband in kollel? Are you a SAHM? Wondergirl has a great idea. Now, you both have to prove that you're working at least a minimum wage job for you to qualify. And without undocumented aliens, there's plenty of itinerant farm work, and lots of room for janitors and cleaning help.

There's a few threads right now about women struggling. Please, go suggest that to them.


Factory farming is going to be hard pressed for labor this crop season. There is always field work, consider it on par with going to a bungalow colony and you get to take your kids with you in some states.
^sarcasm for those that have to be told.
Back to top

wondergirl









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:08 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Its very difficult for students to get food stamps. To get them, they have to be eligible, AND

    Get public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program of the Social Security Act;

    Take part in a State or federally financed work study program;

    Work at least 20 hours a week;

    Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;

    Are taking care of a dependent household member over the age of 5 but under 12 and do not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or

    Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:

    A program under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014,

    A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974,

    An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act, or

    An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.

    Also, a single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get SNAP benefits if otherwise eligible.


But that is a great idea. Hey, all you imamothers struggling to get by. Is your husband in kollel? Are you a SAHM? Wondergirl has a great idea. Now, you both have to prove that you're working at least a minimum wage job for you to qualify. And without undocumented aliens, there's plenty of itinerant farm work, and lots of room for janitors and cleaning help.

There's a few threads right now about women struggling. Please, go suggest that to them.

This is for students only, what does it have to do with sahm or kollel guys? And I didn't say it was a good idea, just that the government can force students to work (and/or meet other criteria) in order for them to qualify for food stamps. If they can enforce this for students who need money to buy food, then they can enforce something similar for students who need financial aid. (I think they may have something for male students in that they need to be signed up for the army/reserves in order to qualify for financial aid but dont quote me on this because I just heard it from someone else but never researched it to see if it was true).

Just so we are clear, do you think it would be appropriate for Trump to hire illegal aliens instead of American citizens or legal foreigners?
Back to top

zigi









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:16 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Factory farming is going to be hard pressed for labor this crop season. There is always field work, consider it on par with going to a bungalow colony and you get to take your kids with you in some states.
^sarcasm for those that have to be told.


it is like hop picking,poor working class English take everything to sleep in tents or a barn and pick hops for pay. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new.....ields.html
Back to top

MagentaYenta









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:19 pm
zigi wrote:
it is like hop picking,poor working class English take everything to sleep in tents or a barn and pick hops for pay. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new.....ields.html


That used to be very common here in our western states that had huge amounts of hop production. I picked potatoes for chips when I was a kid, all the kids in my family did. These were huge spuds. You got paid by the hundred pounds.
Back to top

zigi









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:21 pm
also maine blueberry picking
Back to top

FranticFrummie









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:21 pm
I have a very personal bone to pick with illegal immigrants.

My father is the hardest working man I know. He was raised on a farm, and driving a tractor when he was 10 years old. He's cleaned stables, birthed calves, and collected eggs, as well as helping his mom can all the veggies for winter.

My dad can fix anything. He can build anything. He makes beautiful fences, decks, and trellises. He's an amazing landscaper and groundskeeper. He had a thriving business once, where he came home exhausted, but dignified.

One day a crew of illegal Mexicans came in, and underbid all of his major clients. Within a week he was out of work, and had to let go all of his LEGAL assistants.

He ended up getting a part time job pumping gas, just to keep the heat on in his house. He's still struggling financially to recover from losing his job. Being self employed and working outdoors was his dream, and he loved every minute of it. That job was STOLEN from him, by people who DID NOT DESERVE IT.

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Make America great again!!!
Back to top

wondergirl









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:24 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Do you know how long it takes to make sous? About six years in a high end kitchen if you have the talent and a resume. Seriously, luxury dining, as presented in the Trump resorts and hotels isn't depending on some potato peelers to be adequate sous chefs. You are harboring some illusions about knowledge, skills and experience when it comes to the world of fine dining.

Some people are naturally talented and/or are masters by the time they get to culinary school. There are also cooks on Masterchef and Masterchef Junior that would be highly qualified to work at any of Trumps hotels/wineries so if culinary students have enough talent then I fail to see why they wouldn't be able to work in a fine dining restaurant. They can also act as line chefs and prep chefs and assistant pastry chefs so there are plenty of ways that students can benefit from interning there.
Back to top

MagentaYenta









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:25 pm
zigi wrote:
also maine blueberry picking


It was the same with NJ when they had a blueberry industry.
Back to top

MagentaYenta









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:33 pm
wondergirl wrote:
Some people are naturally talented and/or are masters by the time they get to culinary school. There are also cooks on Masterchef and Masterchef Junior that would be highly qualified to work at any of Trumps hotels/wineries so if culinary students have enough talent then I fail to see why they wouldn't be able to work in a fine dining restaurant. They can also act as line chefs and prep chefs and assistant pastry chefs so there are plenty of ways that students can benefit from interning there.


TV is much different than reality. Members of my (nonJewish) family have been in the fine dining industry for a couple of generations. The tend to laugh at the culinary school graduates who come in knowing everything. They are the first to be fired. Trust me this industry is not like you see on TV. One of my relatives told a story about a line cook he hired out of the CIA. All this person had to do was cook the steak line, to order. The minute he pulled an instant read thermometer out of his pocket he was canned. There are other stories like the pot washer who was asked to assist on veg prep as a partial fill in. He spent 6 years as a pot washer, his knife skills were noticed when he filled in on veg prep. He stepped up to being a peeler for 3 years and moved onto greens prep for another three. During those years he learned the business side of prep. Something that is still not taught in the CIA to this day.
Back to top

artz









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:38 pm
To reply the Op
I went to the grocery today and I didn't know about this strike but was told by the counter that I will have schlep my bags. That is small compared to what the owners of these stores are going through. some of them rely a lot on their workers. and it seems like now they are drowning in work. Some of these worker are really a big help and if they are not there the stores cant function.
Back to top

SixOfWands









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:41 pm
artz wrote:
To reply the Op
I went to the grocery today and I didn't know about this strike but was told by the counter that I will have schlep my bags. That is small compared to what the owners of these stores are going through. some of them rely a lot on their workers. and it seems like now they are drowning in work. Some of these worker are really a big help and if they are not there the stores cant function.


I think that was kind of the point, whether or not you agree with the one-day strike.
Back to top

Squishy









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:55 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
TV is much different than reality. Members of my (nonJewish) family have been in the fine dining industry for a couple of generations. The tend to laugh at the culinary school graduates who come in knowing everything. They are the first to be fired. Trust me this industry is not like you see on TV. One of my relatives told a story about a line cook he hired out of the CIA. All this person had to do was cook the steak line, to order. The minute he pulled an instant read thermometer out of his pocket he was canned. There are other stories like the pot washer who was asked to assist on veg prep as a partial fill in. He spent 6 years as a pot washer, his knife skills were noticed when he filled in on veg prep. He stepped up to being a peeler for 3 years and moved onto greens prep for another three. During those years he learned the business side of prep. Something that is still not taught in the CIA to this day.


What are you talking about? Your relative sounds jealous. The stuff you are spouting is nonsense.

The CIA teaches prep and they teach the food business. Their students intern in some of the most prestigious restaurants. They certainly could intern in the kitchens at Mar Lago.

Did your ever attend the CIA? I only took continuing ed classes there, and the very first thing we were taught was food prep. It doesn't take 3 years to learn to peel vegetables.

The full-time students are given a superior education. They learn the food business from the bottom up. They learn everything from cutting up a cow to selecting fine wines to the business end of a restaurant.
Back to top

Laiya









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:09 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have a very personal bone to pick with illegal immigrants.

My father is the hardest working man I know. He was raised on a farm, and driving a tractor when he was 10 years old. He's cleaned stables, birthed calves, and collected eggs, as well as helping his mom can all the veggies for winter.

My dad can fix anything. He can build anything. He makes beautiful fences, decks, and trellises. He's an amazing landscaper and groundskeeper. He had a thriving business once, where he came home exhausted, but dignified.

One day a crew of illegal Mexicans came in, and underbid all of his major clients. Within a week he was out of work, and had to let go all of his LEGAL assistants.

He ended up getting a part time job pumping gas, just to keep the heat on in his house. He's still struggling financially to recover from losing his job. Being self employed and working outdoors was his dream, and he loved every minute of it. That job was STOLEN from him, by people who DID NOT DESERVE IT.

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Make America great again!!!


I think your post is a valid response to,

sixof wands wrote:
You seem to think that by snapping your fingers, you can get Americans to take minimum wage jobs picking crops, or cleaning, or in slaughterhouses, etc. But evidence shows us that you can't.


In Arizona, after the illegal immigrants were deported, it's true that many job openings were left vacant. Idk if this is representative of the entire country, but let's leave that aside.

It's also true that those citizens in Arizona who chose to find employment, received higher wages for those jobs after the illegals were out of the picture.

Greater supply (of workers) = less demand = lower amount of $ people will pay those workers. A glut of workers keeps wages low. Great for companies.

So we start passing laws to raise minimum wage, but that doesn't solve the underlying issue.
Back to top

glutenless









  


Post  Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:57 pm
wondergirl wrote:
This is for students only, what does it have to do with sahm or kollel guys? And I didn't say it was a good idea, just that the government can force students to work (and/or meet other criteria) in order for them to qualify for food stamps. If they can enforce this for students who need money to buy food, then they can enforce something similar for students who need financial aid. (I think they may have something for male students in that they need to be signed up for the army/reserves in order to qualify for financial aid but dont quote me on this because I just heard it from someone else but never researched it to see if it was true).

Just so we are clear, do you think it would be appropriate for Trump to hire illegal aliens instead of American citizens or legal foreigners?


Why don't you think kollel guys are students? A lot of them are getting federal student grants or loans. A lot of them are also getting foodstamps and wic and medicaid. I do think the government should make people get a job or have a valid reason why they can't get a job, before giving them any type of money. But that goes for ALL people, why just college students?
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Recent Topics

Page 6 of 11 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
postville immigrants arrested 22 Fri, May 16 2008, 12:10 pm View latest post
HELP ME WITH MY HOMEWORK (IMMIGRANTS) 3 Wed, Oct 14 2009, 7:52 pm View latest post
Urgent- medical help for new immigrants.
by amother
4 Fri, Jul 02 2010, 11:00 am View latest post
by Liba
Where is the bar for allowing in immigrants?
by amother
3 Mon, Jan 30 2017, 8:07 pm View latest post
Seattle community
by amother
23 Fri, Nov 20 2015, 2:23 pm View latest post

Jump to:  

Report offensive ad