Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Day Without Immigrants- In Your Community?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:53 am
SixOfWands wrote:
My great grandfather was an immigrant instigator. He wanted to take one day off, but his boss needed to keep the business open. Well, the boss threatened him, whoever doesn't come in will be fired. Because the boss couldn't have most of his employees not show up on Yom Kippur, or he could close his business. Well, I'm sure you know what happened next. Great grandfather was fired. Blacklisted. No one would hire an immigrant rabble-rouser like him. So he had to emigrate. Again. For the 3rd time in his life. That time, to the US.

While I feel terrible for your great grandfather, and for all of our ancestors who went through similar stories, their bosses were not necessarily wrong. They did need to keep their business open, if they don't make any money then they can't pay the same workers who want to take off.

Of course many bosses in those days were horrible bosses all around, you can't compare the jobs immigrants do today with the sweat shops or other horrible jobs our immigrant ancestors had to do in the early 1900s. And very few of them are living in the terrible living conditions our ancestors had in those times. They are lucky enough to be paid at least minimum wage, which was unheard of then, they also have access to free health care, which our ancestors didn't get.

How can you compare illegal immigrants of today with legal immigrants of 100 or so years ago?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:54 am
OP here ~ thanks, please keep the answers coming, this is fascinating to me. I guess also at the end of the day people can report whether or not workers striked.

Also curious about public schools, colleges. Student/prof, anyone? I imagine that colleges would be encouraging of a strike/walkout because they are usually more liberal....? Anyone here at Bklyn college?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:55 am
My relatives are in the construction field. They are closed today because their workers are striking.

- Wmsbg

zigi

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:58 am
I will strike! Netflix the whole day! dh went into work, I guess he didn't get the memo
I want to see what will happen in my neighborhood local store, esl. all the workers are from other countries, it is a regular grocery store

Last edited by zigi on Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
My relatives are in the construction field. They are closed today because their workers are striking.

- Wmsbg

Maybe they can train yeshiva bochurim to do the work that these workers are doing, this way they can support people in their communities and not have to rely on outsiders for anything.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:59 am
So do I get the day off?

I am a legal immigrant, not Hispanic though. Why didn't I get the memo about this?

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
The fact that they do not differentiate between immigrants and illegal aliens is offensive. Quite frankly, I am not sure what the goal is as I believe that we can survive just fine without them. They would be creating jobs for American citizens, eliminate esl programs in schools and other agencies that provide it, get rid of law agencies who assist them and use the money for Ameirican citizens. Housing will become available and more affordable and there will be more spots open in colleges for our own citizens as well. I also hope that they will not accept any government benefits and give back whatever they got until now which will save us millions of dollars. If this is what you are trying to accomplish then I'll support it and hope you have a nice journey back to your own country where your govt gives you whatever you want without question.

If they did differentiate they should be declaring their illegal status - not very smart.

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:03 am
Coffee Addict wrote:
No grocery delivery here today cuz of the strike. My husband's Mexican coworkers don't come in today as well.

You think this strike will make or brake anything? Or are they just threatening? Dunno Surprised

Why can't the groceries hire yeshiva bochurim or kollel men or anyone in the community looking for a job to do the deliveries instead of relying on outsiders for it?

mfb

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:06 am
wondergirl wrote:
Why can't the groceries hire yeshiva bochurim or kollel men or anyone in the community looking for a job to do the deliveries instead of relying on outsiders for it?

Because most of those pple won't do that work for minimum pay.

zigi

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:06 am
are home health aides not showing up and nurses? I will ask dh if he noticed anything at work. or is it only manual labor jobs

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:14 am
SixOfWands wrote:
My great grandfather was an immigrant instigator. He wanted to take one day off, but his boss needed to keep the business open. Well, the boss threatened him, whoever doesn't come in will be fired. Because the boss couldn't have most of his employees not show up on Yom Kippur, or he could close his business. Well, I'm sure you know what happened next. Great grandfather was fired. Blacklisted. No one would hire an immigrant rabble-rouser like him. So he had to emigrate. Again. For the 3rd time in his life. That time, to the US.

I believe that Jews were forced to work on Shabbos in America as well which is why the govt created laws to protect them from discrimination. Would you be okay with anyone breaking the discrimination laws and force you to work on Shabbos and fire you if you don't? Would it be okay if someone decides that these laws are ridiculous so they break it bc they can't be inconvenienced by Jews who keep Shabbos?

We also have immigration laws that foreigners are expected to follow. Do you think its okay for illegal aliens to break these laws or to say that the laws are ridiculous so lets just get rid of it so as to not inconvenience anyone who wants to come live in America?

Why are illegal aliens above the law?

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:19 am
mfb wrote:
Because most of those pple won't do that work for minimum pay.

Why not? If you need a job then you can just do this until you get the experience to do something better. You are still making minimum wage which I believe is $11 an hour in NY so you would still qualify for govt benefits so it seems like a win-win for everyone involved.

Last edited by wondergirl on Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

momX4

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:21 am
I just went to the grocery store. It nice to see so many frum workers in the store. One mexican that runs a department was told that he must work today.

I wish that frum stores would hire more frum workers to support our community.

I would also like to know what percentage of kids went to public school today. It would be interesting to see who my taxes are being used for.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
The fact that they do not differentiate between immigrants and illegal aliens is offensive. Quite frankly, I am not sure what the goal is as I believe that we can survive just fine without them. They would be creating jobs for American citizens, eliminate esl programs in schools and other agencies that provide it, get rid of law agencies who assist them and use the money for Ameirican citizens. Housing will become available and more affordable and there will be more spots open in colleges for our own citizens as well. I also hope that they will not accept any government benefits and give back whatever they got until now which will save us millions of dollars. If this is what you are trying to accomplish then I'll support it and hope you have a nice journey back to your own country where your govt gives you whatever you want without question.

Great idea.

More than half of seasonal farm workers -- you know, the folks who pick the crops -- are undocumented aliens. They make on the average of $10,000 to $12,499 a year. Next time anyone hear bemoans not being able to get a job, or her husband needing a job, please be sure to suggest it, using your own screen name, of course.

Undocumented aliens comprise 24 percent of all groundskeepers, 23 percent of domestic workers and 20 percent of those in clothing manufacture. So, again, I'm sure that you'll be suggesting that our less fortunate friends become domestic workers and landscapers.

As to colleges, yes, undocumented children can attend college, and in some states can even get in-state tuition and tuition assistance (although it may be that you can't do that until junior year ... not quite clear to me). No federal aid, though.

And yes, we've all read about the occasional undocumented immigrant getting into an Ivy League school. My oldest son didn't, and I doubt my next one will, either. But that's not because of a brilliant undocumented immigrant, its because he couldn't be bothered to study until his junior year. Luckily, in the US, there are enough college spots for everyone, and most kids wind up somewhere they want to be, so long as they're realistic.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:30 am
wondergirl wrote:

They can. I'm sure most businesses would be thrilled to hire any good, hard-working employees. But they have to apply for the jobs.

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:40 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Great idea.

More than half of seasonal farm workers -- you know, the folks who pick the crops -- are undocumented aliens. They make on the average of $10,000 to $12,499 a year. Next time anyone hear bemoans not being able to get a job, or her husband needing a job, please be sure to suggest it, using your own screen name, of course.

Undocumented aliens comprise 24 percent of all groundskeepers, 23 percent of domestic workers and 20 percent of those in clothing manufacture. So, again, I'm sure that you'll be suggesting that our less fortunate friends become domestic workers and landscapers.

As to colleges, yes, undocumented children can attend college, and in some states can even get in-state tuition and tuition assistance (although it may be that you can't do that until junior year ... not quite clear to me). No federal aid, though.

And yes, we've all read about the occasional undocumented immigrant getting into an Ivy League school. My oldest son didn't, and I doubt my next one will, either. But that's not because of a brilliant undocumented immigrant, its because he couldn't be bothered to study until his junior year. Luckily, in the US, there are enough college spots for everyone, and most kids wind up somewhere they want to be, so long as they're realistic.

Illegal alien grounds keepers up here are making $60 an hour in prevailing wage jobs. They are also members of the union taking home less per hour totalling the same in benefits which they get to cash out 60 days after they resign. The only thing that isn't portable is their relatively small life insurance policy. They also get free medical care.

Many legal folks would love their jobs.

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:41 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Great idea.

I fail to see why American citizens can't work in the fields. The Amish do it, why cant everyone else do that as well? In fact, many Americans do work in the fields, we even had a farmer on the Bachelor show one season and I am sure there are many more citizens who work on the farms as well. We can also create a program for students to work on the farms and give them credit for it in the same way they do internships or volunteer in other places.
And there are plenty of American citizens who can do domestic work, be groundskeepers, or manufacture clothing. In fact, there are many American citizens who do these kinds of work at least based on your statistics so why are illegal aliens given any credit for it? Why are they being hired altogether if there are American citizens who need these jobs?
Same goes for college, why should illegal aliens be accepted into these programs or be given financial aid just because they succeeded in breaking the laws and getting away with it? Why should a law abiding American citizen be turned away from college in favor of someone who had no legal right to be in this country in the first place?

Last edited by wondergirl on Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:42 am
Doubt anyone will notice where I live.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:52 am
Some groceries said they won't be doing deliveries today because of the strike. Thursday is the busiest day of the week for grocery stores.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
Just wanted to say that I think this attitude is horrible. Not so long ago OUR ANCESTORS were the immigrants. Our country is made up of immagrants. Most ppl are good hardworking ppl just like u and I. They would becomes citizens in a heartbeat if our country was normal and had ano easier way to become a citizen.
Yes the bad ppl I would love if they were sent back but honestly what makes u more entitled to a better life that them? Nothing. Except you happen to have been born here (or have citizenship some other way)
I feel it's sad they have to do this. I think they should be treated as equal.

Do you realize that out of almost every other first world country, America has the most liberal immigration policy? Look up other country's, specifically the ones to the direct north and south of us. Its much easier to become a citizen here than anywhere else. Other than a Jew gaining citizenship in Israel, which is already a pain to proove jewishness - America is the easiest country to get into. So what country do you think has a "normal" immigration policy?
Page 3 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics