Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Ikea catalog with frum jews.
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 10:49 am
treestump wrote:
Well, I'm frum, and I'm very bothered by it.

There weren't even any little girls! And IKEA is just imitating a trend seen in frum magazines, books, etc.

Who are the people who will actually be using those IKEA kitchens? Who are the people who gave birth to the kids featured? Who are the people who prepare an entire shabbos yet are erased from the shabbos table?

I am bothered, very bothered, and I know that many other frum women are as well.
And I know many frum men who are also extremely bothered. The trend is awful. Just awful.

moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:43 am
groisamomma wrote:
This post reeks of Nazism.

Really? <sniff> I don't smell any Nazism. I've been accused of not being funny, but I've never been accused of being a Nazi. What is your problem? I don't know how you could see Nazism in my silly comment. Seriously, chill.

iluvy

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 5:01 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I really don't get it. It's aimed at frum people. Frum people aren't bothered. Why the fuss?
Personally I think they should use just kids if they need models.

It bothers me when people fight for the rights of people who don't want them.
To be pictured in a catalogue is not something I relate to. The men also seem out of place. (What frum Jew is a model?) it seems like they're just trying too hard.

I am frum (very frum) and I am horrified by this.

They don't print pictures of girls either.

I don't want to be pictured in a catalogue. I don't want to be president, or even a judge, or even a lawyer. I don't even particularly want to vote most of the time. But it is of the utmost importance to me that I don't live in a world in which women are banned from these things.

singleagain

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 6:08 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
And I know many frum men who are also extremely bothered. The trend is awful. Just awful.

We need more men who are bothered by it to speak up/make the descion to be more inclusive.

When there is a minority in oppression, if it doesn't affect the majority in charge, I think it will be harder to change.

Scotty

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 6:14 pm
OMG I WANT A CATALOGUE

Politics aside, my haredi, Ikea-obsessed soul *WANTS* one of these catalogues so badly my fingers are tingling. WANT. WANT. WANT.

nylon

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 6:21 pm
It wasn't a good move imo.

It was destined to make the news as another example of "erasing women" and it is the sort of thing the parent company is very opposed to. They make a big thing of diversity and equality, and as Swedes, are very opposed to anything that erases women.

And plenty of non haredi frum people dislike this trend. First it was adult women, now even little girls.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 11:30 pm
singleagain wrote:
We need more men who are bothered by it to speak up/make the descion to be more inclusive.

When there is a minority in oppression, if it doesn't affect the majority in charge, I think it will be harder to change.
The men that I know who are also horrified with this are not haredi, if that wasnt clear. They are MO/dati leumi men.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics