Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Girls daycamp in Lakewood
1  2  Next

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 11:38 am
After a few wonderful, fun-filled years with lots of warmth and TLC, we have graduated from the camps for younger kids - Shevach and Yeladim.

Now I need to find DD a daycamp that has that structure, fun, and sense of individual attention. I don't want to send her to a camp that has all the kids standing and cheering in the hot sun while one or two girls in their bunk (often the same kids over and over) get chosen for something special, with the rest of them feeling jealous and left out.

If you were thrilled with your child's daycamp, please post. Please mention what you liked about the daycamp.

Let's also keep the negatives out here....just looking for positive experiences.

TIA!

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:32 pm
We really liked Camp Meira. If you want to, you can pm me, with questions.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:34 pm
Chayalle wrote:
After a few wonderful, fun-filled years with lots of warmth and TLC, we have graduated from the camps for younger kids - Shevach and Yeladim.

Now I need to find DD a daycamp that has that structure, fun, and sense of individual attention. I don't want to send her to a camp that has all the kids standing and cheering in the hot sun while one or two girls in their bunk (often the same kids over and over) get chosen for something special, with the rest of them feeling jealous and left out.

If you were thrilled with your child's daycamp, please post. Please mention what you liked about the daycamp.

Let's also keep the negatives out here....just looking for positive experiences.

TIA!

I spoke to the director of Meira last night and she specifically addressed the bolded - she said they track who got a turn to go up on stage and they really make sure every girl is included.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:46 pm
We graduated from Shevach to Chaveiros. Loved the group of kids, kind of more low key, and found fun in simpler things instead of giving out cotton candy, slush, etc. all the time. Found it to have an out-of-town feel or down-to-earth Brooklyn feel!

debsey

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 1:49 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
I spoke to the director of Meira last night and she specifically addressed the bolded - she said they track who got a turn to go up on stage and they really make sure every girl is included.

Is Meira the one run by Vivi Keilson? If so, I don't know the camp, but my girls took lessons with her (art and maybe drama) and she was really sensitive and tuned in to the needs of the girls.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:01 pm
We went from Shevach to neranina.
This summer sending for the third time beh.
I can't address the pints you're raisin though. My kids just went a had a great time.

Love the camp for the fun, swimming, nice arts and crafts, awesome play, nice girls and counselors, relative simplicity. *No* pressure for trendy clothing, latest $9/pair socks, accessories etc. everyone uses the same cool camp bag.

incidentally and unlike an experience with some other camps, my big girl came back from neranina requesting longer rather than shorter skirts, which I was impressed with. Got her 2 pieces from target and kiddo couldn't have been happier and fit right in. In other times and places she was quite self-conscious about clothing.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:18 pm
I would love to send DD to Meira - heard wonderful feedback (thanks all of you!) but for some reason DD doesn't want to...maybe I need to do some convincing?

Thanks for the feedback for Chaveiros and Neranina....both under consideration.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:22 pm
Were does she want to go and why?
Maybe she has a secific friend that she wants to go to camp with that said they are going elseware...

One of my daughters had a camp that she didnt want to go to because there was a girl going tbat she didnt want to be with...

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:23 pm
DD shadowed a child in Chaveiros a few years ago and was really impressed by the camp. The Counselors, the campers, the staff. There was a certain Ruach there that she just liked.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:32 pm
Well...one of the camps mentioned - camp A - she wants to go because my niece is going. I'm not sure it's a good idea - having done this before, I find that parents think summer is a great time to put the cousins together, especially if they go to different schools.....but sometimes it can cause resentment when one cousin feels pressured to include her cousin at the expense of her friends. I don't want to do that to my niece. If I do send her, though, I could request a different bunk...which kind of defeats the purpose, though, for my DD.

I think it would be better for DD to go with school friends. She has one classmate going to camp A (so far) and she's not particularly friendly with her. And I don't want her to crowd her cousin. So I'm trying to steer her in another direction....

Camp B is another camp she's willing to consider, and a friend of hers is going.

Several classmates, including a good friend, are going to Meira. And it would be super-convenient for me too, if I ever have to pick her up, as it's not far out. I think it would be a great choice, but for some reason she is against going - probably because it's located in her school, and the girls have "shtick" about that....

There's one other camp she has mentioned as an option. I'm waiting to see if it comes up here as a recommended camp. I have a feeling it might not be a warm place....

So (sigh) we might end up with Camp B.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:35 pm
debsey wrote:
Is Meira the one run by Vivi Keilson? If so, I don't know the camp, but my girls took lessons with her (art and maybe drama) and she was really sensitive and tuned in to the needs of the girls.

Thanks, Vivi is great! She did portraits at my niece's Bas Mitzvah and actually managed to capture DD's eyes on teeshirt - a particular glint that sums up her personality! I'm never throwing that out....

sky

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
DD shadowed a child in Chaveiros a few years ago and was really impressed by the camp. The Counselors, the campers, the staff. There was a certain Ruach there that she just liked.

Chaveiros used to be owned by the Robinsons who run great camps. I don't think it is anymore - not saying anything bad about the camp at all, I know nothing about it now - just saying it did change owners (as far as I know)

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:39 pm
I sent my daughter to camp Ahava and she was really happy there. In fact, insists on going back there even though I gave her the option of going to a tween/teen program which is all the rage for her age group this year. I found it to be warm and inviting, not over the top but in line with what the other camps were doing in terms of excitement, there definitely was an element of tznius there that I felt lacked in a previous camp I had sent her to. All in all, a good experience for us.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:43 pm
Thanks amother yellow. I would expect anything Chani runs to be warm and inclusive.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:34 pm
I was so happy with Neranina. Very well run, not over the top and my dd loved it. Like L K wrote, there was no fitting in pressure, her bunkmates were really nice and the counselors did a great job. The camp bag they give out was a great bonus, it's a great bag.

My dd was at the reunion on Sunday and she said they said they are putting in a pool behind Bais Yaakov High School, I hope it's true, I hate that most camps have to travel to their pool.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 7:55 pm
Anyone know anything about Azamra? my daughter is talking about it and I heard they take CHS

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:12 am
So I think we are going to split the summer between Meirah and Neranina.

Thanks all of you!

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:14 am
Sounds good!
I hope your dd enjoys !

sky

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:21 am
Thank yo for starting the thread I think it gave us some ideas on where to start looking.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 2:24 am
Can anyone give me an idea of what camps cost in Lakewood and do they give discounts to sisters? My daughter's really want to go but we don't know if we can afford it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children