Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Frum guy at press conference today
1  2  3  Next

Jewishmom8

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:10 pm
Did anyone see that frum guy ask a question and it didn't go well??
His question was clearly misunderstood.
I feel like this could have been a chillul hashem here.
what do you all think about this?
What about frum jews and a low profile? I am still sorting out my own thoughts.

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:21 pm
No, didn't see. Any chance you or somebody else could post a link to a Youtube clip?

Jewishmom8

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:22 pm
http://matzav.com/photo-moment.....-ask/

syrima

I'm pretty sure that was "Turk" from Ami magazine, he made a big deal about how he got a press card under the new administration. And yes, the question was misunderstood because the reporter began on a personal note about Trumps Jewish grandkids and said that Trump is their 'Zaide' (um okay...) but then the question was actually asking what Trump will do about the recent rise in anti-Semitic threats to Jewish institutions.
Whether Trump deflected on purpose because he has no plan yet, or just misunderstood, he started talking about how he is " the least anti-semitic and racist person you will ever find".
And went on in that vein. But I think that there were other reporters after who repeated and rephrased the question so that is was clear this was the issue. which by the way trump never really answered, just blamed the "other side" for writing things that contribute to anti-semitism.
I am more concerned about the impression made on the audience when the orthodox reporter only asks questions about things that concern our community. I would like to see him branch out and thus make a kiddush hashem.

zaq

I didn't see the conference and don't know what the man said, but if the man was misunderstood, how is he to blame for that? Keeping a low profile does not mean being invisible and silent. The days when frum Jews made a point of being a Jew at home and an American on the outside are over. Thank G-d.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:25 pm
It wasn't a chillul hashem. It was more an embarrassment for Trump. He didn't let him finish asking the question and made him sit down right away. Then he insulted him instead of answering the question. To me it seems like he didn't have an answer to it. Nothing wrong with an obvious religious reporter asking such a question.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:39 pm
It wasn't a very complex question, I would have preferred that Turx left out the zaidy comment. These antisemitic acts have been increasing and in all of the president's comments about terrorism he neglects to address the terrorism of the white supremacists. Can you guess why?

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:40 pm
flowerpower wrote:
It wasn't a chillul hashem. It was more an embarrassment for Trump. He didn't let him finish asking the question and made him sit down right away. Then he insulted him instead of answering the question. To me it seems like he didn't have an answer to it. Nothing wrong with an obvious religious reporter asking such a question.

Classic Trump. Insulting another person

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:39 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It wasn't a very complex question, I would have preferred that Turx left out the zaidy comment. These antisemitic acts have been increasing and in all of the president's comments about terrorism he neglects to address the terrorism of the white supremacists. Can you guess why?

I think that he was trying to connect it to yesterday's press conference with Netanyahu, where Trump referred to his Jewish daughter and grandchildren.

The reporter did nothing wrong. Trump's response was a bizarre non-sequitur.

In the same conference, an African American reporter asked if Trump was going to include the "CBC." Trump didn't seem to know what she was talking about, so she clarified that its the Congressional Black Caucus.

Quote:
“Well, I would,” Trump interrupted. “I tell you what, do you want to set up the meeting? Do you want to set up the meeting?”

“No, no, no, I’m just a reporter,” Ryan said.

“Are they friends of yours?” Trump asked.

Ryan replied, before Trump cut her off again, “I know some of them, but I’m sure they’re watching right now — ”

“I would love to meet with the Black Caucus,” Trump said. “I think it’s great, the Congressional Black Caucus, I think it’s great.”

I honestly thought it was "fake news" the first time I saw this reported.

sourstix

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:32 pm
welcome to donald trump. sick man, why couldnt he answer him? he wants to know what trump will do about it and being donald trump he had no answer so he answered like an idiot.

I just cant hate donald and hillary more. I never hated presidents more then this time. oh well. I wouldnt mind if they impeached him. I just dont know of anyone decent that would take these idiots away

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:47 pm
The only disgrace was the person at the podium, not the frum reporter. Why, OP, would you think asking a legitimate question that concerns his readership would constitute a chilul Hashem? (FTR the term you mean is a shandah fohr di goyyim, a scandal in front of the nations. A chilul Hashem, or desecration of the Name, consists not of a Jew looking silly in the eyes of nonJews but of a Jew publicly transgressing the commandments or blaspheming. )

gold21

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:52 pm
I actually didn't understand the frum guy's question either. I couldn't make out his point.

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:53 pm
So painful to watch. Trump is an aggressive moron who humiliated a Jewish reporter for no reason. Ami Magazine is hardly the "mainstream media," you blithering idiot!

Very distressing.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:55 pm
sourstix wrote:
welcome to donald trump. sick man, why couldnt he answer him? he wants to know what trump will do about it and being donald trump he had no answer so he answered like an idiot.

I just cant hate donald and hillary more. I never hated presidents more then this time. oh well. I wouldnt mind if they impeached him. I just dont know of anyone decent that would take these idiots away

Clinton is spending her time mostly hiking in the woods. She's not running again. You have nothing to worry about from her.

Were Trump to resign (about as likely as being hit by lightening) or be impeached, he would be succeeded by Pence, who would then appoint a new vice president. (Think Nixon. When Agnew resigned, Nixon appointed Ford. When Nixon resigned, Ford became president, and Ford appointed Rockefeller.) If Trump and Pence were to leave at the same time -- about as likely as 10 of us being hit my lightening at the same time -- Paul Ryan would become president. Its then Orrin Hatch, then Rex Tillerson.

So its not like there's a new election. If its not President Trump, its President Pence.

gold21

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 5:56 pm
I was wondering what the Ami reporter was asking. I'm glad I saw this thread, which clarified his question. I was like- what is that guy saying? Now I understand his question.

sourstix

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:00 pm
seqoia I love your choice of words. "blithering idiot". ha loved it. hit it on the nail. anyway, I am deeply embarrassed to have trump as president. I was hoping he would be somewhat mechlich once he goes into office. hes such a moron. no words. whatever. im gonna go search for more intersting educated stuff.

gold21

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:05 pm
sourstix wrote:
seqoia I love your choice of words. "blithering idiot". ha loved it. hit it on the nail. anyway, I am deeply embarrassed to have trump as president. I was hoping he would be somewhat mechlich once he goes into office. hes such a moron. no words. whatever. im gonna go search for more intersting educated stuff.

You're deeply embarrassed by our Democratic election process?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:12 pm
I personally think Jews should keep a lower profile. We gained nothing by his presence, and could easily make a big chillul hashem. I hope he has a good Rav to ask shaylas of

sourstix

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:14 pm
gold oh no thats not what I ment. I ment its sad that america produces this kind of stuff for a president. look what is in office. are you proud that this idiot is there? I hope this explains me. im from the ones who says the voting system is fine. you get what I mean?

im not in no way discussing the voting system. its whos sitting in oval office that nauseates me. thats it. its hard to understand that such a moron can be there. I hate hillary too. im from the ones who didnt want to vote because the options were bad on each side. I dont support any of them. anyway. I guess we'll have to ride the one out till the next comes to office. I hope someone more decent. though im having my doubts. if this could happen once it can happen again.

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:23 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I personally think Jews should keep a lower profile. We gained nothing by his presence, and could easily make a big chillul hashem. I hope he has a good Rav to ask shaylas of

He needs to ask a shayla to work as a reporter??? Are you frickin kidding me?!

What does that even mean, "Jews should keep a low profile"? Like, Einstein shouldn't have shared the theory of relativity with the world? Sergey Brin shouldn't have created Google?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics