Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How are we supposed to live??
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 9:59 am
My husband has been working for over five years now. He has basically taken mostly physical sort of jobs. (Blue collar. Grocery store etc). He is now looking for work and the offers he is getting are For $12. an hour, max 700 a week. We have a family of children how are we supposed to live life that?? I work too and help a drop but not nearly enough to live. Any ideas?

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:14 am
Where are you located?

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:15 am
Brooklyn

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:18 am
How many hours a day is he working to make $700/week? 10 hours a day, 6 days a week is my estimate. Thats a lot of hours! How many hours do you work? And what are you making? Is there any way you can increase your working hours? I say this from the bathroom at my office (yes, I'm using the phone in the bathroom. Yeah gross we all do it). Its Friday and evev shabbos and my husband (teacher) is home with the kids. I'll make it home with 2 hours to spare before shabbos. But thats what have to do to earn enough. Can you add hours?

Where do you live? Are you paying rent and tuition now?

Eta - I just saw that you live in Brooklyn. Thats very very high rent. Have you thought about moving to a cheaper area?

Last edited by watergirl on Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:19 am
B&H Photo offers higher starting rates for entry level jobs. If your dh prefers physical work, they have positions in the warehouse, also cashier options.
And maybe be should be studying for a trade in the evenings while he's working as well.
Good luck!

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:23 am
He has worked a ten hour workday in tge the past due to no other option. He claims he isn't bright enough to sit through school and isn't particularly handy either. $12 an hour is meant for single boys not fathers of children. Even $700. After taxes is only 6. What are we going to do?? We pay rent and tuition ( low end tuition). He needs a job that has some financial potential....

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:31 am
Like I said, there are jobs available where he doesn't have to be handy, that pay closer to $20 an hour, with annual reviews and raises, and potential for some growth (not huge but enough to live) to different positions when he figures out what he's good at while on the job.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:32 am
He doesn't need book smarts. He should look into some sort of vocational training to acquire a skill. He may not be naturally handy but he can still learn auto mechanics or some similar marketable skill. Skilled labor can pay well esp. if there's a union. Does he prefer physical work or is that just what he was able to find?

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:34 am
Thank you. He will look into b and h. He prefers physical work since he feels that's what he is good at.

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:44 am
I think Brooklyn is too expensive. Its worth saying again. Also, again, what can you do to make more if your husband cant?

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:50 am
watergirl wrote:
I think Brooklyn is too expensive. Its worth saying again. Also, again, what can you do to make more if your husband cant?

She has a good point. Are you tied to Brooklyn that much? Can you move somewhere more affordable? This is going to sound like moving to the moon to someone who lives in Brooklyn, but in addition to some cheaper options on the east coast, moving west might really help your situation. And there are some great communities out here as long as you don't need the busy busy life of NY all the time. LMK if you want to discuss that more or if I am bothering you with annoying and impractical suggestions.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:57 am
Im not sure about moving.... Question is if you are making $15 an hour at 19 shouldn't you be getting a bit more at 28? I do work the max hours possible for me while caring for my children as well. Why do bosses offer so little to a honest hardworker with a family?

oliveoil

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:00 am
Maybe look into costco.

From what I've heard they pay well, give good benefits and the hours are good.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
Im not sure about moving.... Question is if you are making $15 an hour at 19 shouldn't you be getting a bit more at 28? I do work the max hours possible for me while caring for my children as well. Why do bosses offer so little to a honest hardworker with a family?

I am in your situation a little tiny bit so I feel really bad saying this, but it's about skilled work. If a 28 yr old can do the same job a 19 yr old can do, even very responsibly, why should they pay more for the same service? That's not good business. If someone has a different skill, that they would pay more for. Maybe your husband can do more warehouse management so it is a higher skill bc that is how you get a higher hourly rate -or get some higher responsibilities in a company he has worked for before. Like I said, I have a similar issue.

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:06 am
amother wrote:

Because its illegal to pay someone more money just because they have kids/wife. Marital and familial status are irrelevant. I know its hard! He is paid for the job he does, not his age and stage. If you need to stay in Brooklyn, look into B&H.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:12 am
Has he considered construction?

But in the long run, either you or your DH has to acquire job skills that result in additional income.

Fiveboyz

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:13 am
Preferred services a para agency is always looking to hire especially men I think they pay approximately 14 an hour

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:13 am
In the frum world they ultimately do pay more for married men.... Is bh a long term job? Or a year or two and thats that?

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:20 am
amother wrote:
In the frum world they ultimately do pay more for married men.... Is bh a long term job? Or a year or two and thats that?

I'm going to say something with tough love. You are asking how to live on your income. But you are keeping with was comfortable and easy. Look outside the frum world for work. I'm sorry but it seems like you want comfort and thats not always the most realistic.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 11:25 am
Truth is that I don't really care where he works, frum or not frum. He is not the go getter type and theres only a certain amount of nagging and begging I can do. He doesn't even have a resume!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics