Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
10th grade son asked what this is?

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 2:58 pm
My 14 year old son goes to an out of town yeshiva around an hour from my house. He came home today for shabbos and said the boys in his class were talking about something called masterba****. What's that?
I told him abba will talk to him later. How would you respond?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:09 pm
You or your husband need to have a frank discussion with him. It is a discussion that probably needed to take place 4 years ago. Do not shirk your responsibility or lose this opportunity. He probably knows all about master****** and wants to see what your reaction is and if you have more accurate and honest information than what he already knows and has heard (some of the information he has collected is probably incorrect). If you answer him truthfully with acceptance and without scaring him he'll know he'll be able to come to you with anything.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:11 pm
And, he may already know what is, just not what it's called.

sourstix

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:12 pm
Interesting. He might know more then he led you on. It's good he's asking you. If the boys were talking chances are he knows a lot.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:22 pm
Or, he wants to know if it is halacically allowed but isn't sure how to ask. I agree your DH is the right one for the job, just make sure he presents calmly, normally, and in a way that wouldn't embarrass him.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:29 pm
op here. My son is 14 going on 10. He's very innocent and only learned about the facts of life very recently. I'm 99% sure he seriously has positively no idea what it is.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:37 pm
Whether he knows about it or not, the way you handle this will shape the way he trusts you and comes to you from now on. You need to approach this with honesty, acceptance, providing accurate information and not freaking him out.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
Or, he wants to know if it is halacically allowed but isn't sure how to ask. I agree your DH is the right one for the job, just make sure he presents calmly, normally, and in a way that wouldn't embarrass him.

"Having wet dreams and masterbating is a natural part of maturing. One needs to be careful as it says in halacha. But it's OK and natural for it to happen, and when it does, just know that it's normal and be kind to yourself with acceptance. All great men before you have been through this too."

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Feb 18 2017, 2:11 pm
I remember asking my mother such questions when I heard a term and DID NOT know what it is. She told me that I'll get to know someday. That only made me go find out from other places.
Just don't leave him curious.
And also, he might be doing it already without even knowing anything. Our bodies want things even without giving it names.

BrachaBatya

Post Sat, Mar 04 2017, 8:38 pm
I am quite sure that at 14 he knows what it is, if not what it is called.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics