Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Horrible scratchy new EXPENSIVE linen
1  2  Next

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 3:34 pm
I grew up with the best linen 100% cotton T-shirt soft cool ironed Linen. When I got married I bought two sets of very good linen and I have not bought linen in 14 years but now my linen is already is all ripped up and I needed new I went to a local Jewish linen store and told them I'm willing to pay For very good soft linen they made me a beautiful set very stylish I took it home and I slept on it and it feels like sandpaper they will not take it back or do anything for me I am so devastated it was $800 I saved up two birthdays and two cHanukkah present from my parents and in-laws to buy this linen

The saleswoman treated me horribly and said she sells this set all the time and I'm the first to complain (yeah right I've heard that before)
I'm so turned off I never wanna buy linen from Jewish store ever again!
She literally screamed at me.

So two questions
Is there anything I can do to soften this linen
And where can you get soft airy linen???!
Thx guys

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 3:35 pm
Have you washed it? There is often starch in new products.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 3:43 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Have you washed it? There is often starch in new products.

THIS. Wash it twice, and tumble dry with fabric softener sheets. It will make a huge difference.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 3:44 pm
I learned my lesson.
The cheaper $200-300 sets are so much better in quality and comfort than the $500+ sets.

I tell it to everyone.
I'm so curious which store you bought it at because I absolutely hate my 2 expensive sets from that store.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 3:45 pm
$800 for linen? Target has some really nice stuff, and it's soft.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 3:52 pm
Is it brocade with an Egyptian cotton underside? Dh can't stand those, even though the heavier fabric is only on the outer side of the duvet and pillowcase. So now we buy only all Egyptian cotton sets

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 4:12 pm
Not brocade.
How could cheaper sets be better
What do U look for when u buy linen. Thread count? Percale? Sateen? I don't even know what these words mean lolllll

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 4:14 pm
I already washed it twice but not with softener. Housekeeper did it

Maya

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 4:17 pm
We have linen bedding. It's extremely soft and comfortable. Can you still return your new set for something softer?

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 4:22 pm
Here's the thing. If I'd have bought from non jewish store I'd be able to return it no questions asked. Even after sleeping and washing it. I'm really saddened by this whole thing and appalled at the way the fancy stylish sales lady treated me. And now I'm stuck with this linen for the next ten years too.

Ilovemaryland

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 4:27 pm
Wow!!!!

OOT has its benefits. Never heard of a jewish linen store
I bought on ebay 50$ and it feels like heaven..

Hashem should pay you back for your loss ten fold Hug

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 4:30 pm
Maya wrote:
We have linen bedding. It's extremely soft and comfortable. Can you still return your new set for something softer?

I got a deal on 100% linen sheets at Tuesday Morning at the beginning of winter, did a cold water wash and a tumble dry on low and they are superior. I think they set me back all of $29 for a double. A few months earlier I got some super softs sheets at Target that fit amazingly well for less than $50 and the same day a set of Ralph Laurens for about $36. I don't do the duvet thing, but have a great quilt that I use with a top sheet. It's easy to change up the look in my bedroom because I can pick up any of the colors on the quilt and choose that for sheets.

Heck you can get a Pratesi duvet cover for less than $300.

Ahuva

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 5:18 pm
Im so sorry that you had a bad experience. What a shame.
For future reference. I only buy Sateen. Yummmm

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 5:43 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Not brocade.
How could cheaper sets be better
What do U look for when u buy linen. Thread count? Percale? Sateen? I don't even know what these words mean lolllll

Textile content. Thread count. Feel between my fingers.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 5:49 pm
op, can you speak to the store's owner? if it was a saleslady that yelled at you, she has a boss. speak to the boss. if they're nasty, let them know that you'll be warning your friends not to buy from them.

L K

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 6:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
So now we buy only all Egyptian cotton sets

Where do you buy them? Any particular brand?
I once bought a set of supposedly Egyptian cotton from a Jewish store. It was super soft but showed stains like crazy and didn't last long.

L K

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 6:34 pm
Ilovemaryland wrote:

I bought on ebay 50$ and it feels like heaven..

Do you have a link by any chance, or know the brand?

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 6:58 pm
Ok I also bought expensive linen from a Jewish store and I'm quite happy. One of my sets is not lasting but the other is. Mine is definitely very soft. If you try to call the owner rather then the sales lady. And try to be as calm as possible. Maybe that will help

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 7:03 pm
Ramom how do u know when something is Egyptian cotton?

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 19 2017, 8:55 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
$800 for linen? Target has some really nice stuff, and it's soft.

Do you know which Target ones are soft? Last time they had a sale I bought two different kinds and did not find them soft at all. I'm very sensitive.

My first set of linen I bought at an expensive Jewish store (not THAT expensive, though!) and I literally rubbed each fabric sample against my cheeks until I found the right level of soft smoothness I wanted. The sheets from that set lasted about 5 years and the pillowcases are mostly still intact after 7 years. Duvets I stopped using because I got lazy. No luck so far replacing the sheets, I'm pretty much resigned to being a little uncomfortable, and grateful I still have pillowcases I like.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics